Hotel Recommendations in Barcelona?

Bwana Tom

Anybody have a recommendation for a moderate priced hotel or B&B in Barcelona? The wife and I are planning a cruise ending in Barcelona and would like to layover 2 or 3 nights there before flying back home. It would be nice to find a place within a reasonable distance from the port and the airport because we will likely be using taxis for transportation, but would like to see some of the area.

I have often recommended the Catalonia Hotel and Resort chain. They have at least 7-8 locations in the city. Most have rooftop lounges and small dipping pools, most recently updated interiors. I've stayed at Magdalenes, Catederal and the one closest to Placa Cataluyna for business. They definitely have some off busy streets. The three above are all centrally located.

I think that Hotel Jazz has been recommended so many times that it is no longer in the moderate price range!!

When you stay in Barcelona, transport links are so good that you do not need to stay near to the port or the airport - if you are a single traveller or a couple, there are buses that get you to your destination. If you are a group. taxis are the way to go. So for a pre-cruise stay, look for somewhere central. I have stayed in a number of different districts from Montjuic, Sants station, las Ramblas, the Gothic district, Diagonal - and they all have suited me for pre-cruise. Just make sure that you are near to a metro station. You are best using a hotel booking site and seeing what is the best value on your dates. Compare with the hotel's own site and go for it. If you are booking well in advance, make sure that it is cancellable.

We stayed at the Best Western near the university area. It was moderately priced but we walked a lot!

Coming from the airport we took the A2 Bus and it allowed us to get off at university. We walked about 5 blocks to hotel.

We were told we couldn't return to airport from that stop, that we had to go to the final stop, which added about 4 more blocks. We took a car to airport for €35.

We walked about a mile to the Sagrada then bought hop on hop off tickets for 2 days. That helped but we got stuck on the bus going way out of the way so wasted time until we figured the route out. Other than that we could get around to all the major locations using the bus.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums