Leaving Friday and need some help quick.

judyf

I started getting a sore throat and a stuffy nose last night. Is there anything that fellow cruisers used to help quick? Any secrets?

I'm going to call my doctor today too.

I haven't even had a running nose all year and I start getting signs of a cold 2 days before we plan to fly to Tampa. 52 weeks of a year and I start getting sick my cruise week. URG!!!!!!

Thanks

Judy

CCL Inspiration 4/4-4/11/04

NCL Sea 4/14-4/27/03

Wonder 5/16-5/19/02

Wonder 5/3-5/8/01

Fantasy 2/15-2/18/01

A friend of mine swears that taking a good long sauna (steambath) knocks the heck out of any cold he has ever had. If the meds don't seem to be helping you, please give it a try and let us know how it goes. Hope you have a great cruise. Paul

Triumph 1/10/04 "Where it all ends, I can't fathom my friends..If I knew I might toss out my anchor..So I'll CRUISE along, always searching for songs..not a lawyer a thief or a banker"...J. Buffet

Load up on Vitamin C, studies show that it may not keep you from getting a cold but it will help you get over it faster. We take it year round and never ever have colds.

Drink plenty of clear liquids, I mean gallons of water; flush it out of your system. Be gone bad germs!

Rest- when not drinking water, sleep

We also double up on hand sanitizer usage a couple weeks prior to cruising. I know it doesn't help all that much but I feel like it does and my hands smell lovely all the time.

Avoid sick people like they are lepers. I've almost gone as far as to wear a surgical mask when around sick people...I thought that would be pretty tacky though.

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/04

Carnival Spirit 12/04

I have a friend who would tell you to do everything that has been suggested above, but would add that as soon as you get on the ship, you should start drinking heavily. He claims icon_rolleyes.gifthis makes the "human host uninhabitable". His theory is that if you are going to feel bad anyway, you might as well have a hangover. Kind of like a free pass. icon_confused.gif

JV

Hehehe I agree with all the above But Jemingway's idea really sounds good Hope you feel better and have a wonderful cruise!!

Cyt

Atlantic

Oceanic

Norway

Enchantment of the Seas

Destiny

Voyager of the Seas

Conquest March 30th 2003

Glory May 29th 2004

That same thing happened to me right before my January cruise this year and I basically did all the above as WELL as go to the doc and get some antibiotics...It was just peace of mind for myself to know I did all I could do......I didn't want to kick myself and say "Why didn't you do that?"......Oh and jemingway's plan was my backup! icon_biggrin.gif....but I was fine so then I did jemingways's plan to celebrate! icon_eek.gif

shepirate1.jpgpirates10.jpg

CLICK HERE for "Partae Pirates" Cruise Info on Miracle 2/13/05

Randy ~ Build17@aol.com

Dallas, TX

Destiny-5/00, Victory-3/01, Pride-6/02,Celebration-11/02,

Conquest-3/03,Glory-9/03,

RCI Mariner-1/04,Triumph-3/04,Elation-5/04,Sensation -10/04, Miracle - 2/05

Days til Elation Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;05;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Days til Sensation Cruise from the Bayou

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FF0000&cdt=2004;10;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

saintsinners.gif

Days til Miracle Partae Pirates Cruise from Tampa

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;02;13;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

partaepiratessmallsmall.gif?mtbrand=AOL_US

Gargle with warm salt water for your throat!! and then do what everyone else suggested.

It may be just allergies (tis the season), but if you could get a Rx from your doc just in case...it would be a safety net for you.

Have a great time!!!

I believe in Miracles

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;6;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I started with a sore throat/stuffy nose on Sunday night and I took Benedryl. Sometimes I think it's a cold and it's allergies (the post nasal drip causes the sore throat). It worked, I guess it was allergies because the sore throat is gone......if it's a cold, all the above especially the gargleing for a sore throat part. Have a wonderful cruise!

Run to the store and buy Zycam. It works for me every time.

Splendour of the Seas - Med

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year"value=2004>

<param name="month"value=6>

<param name="day"value=19>

<param name="hour"value=8>

</applet>

FIRST: Do what everyone else said.

SECOND: Implement Jemingway's plan.

THIRD: Hurry up and get on the ship so there are plenty around to wait on you hand and foot while you "recover". Fake it or be really dramatic about how 'miserable' you are, if you want, for extra attention! icon_wink.gif

LOTS of OJ, not too much sun, keep cool!

PS: I didn't think antibiotics were effective on a cold? Don't they only work on bacterial infections and not viruses?

Lido Deck Linda

dudes.gif

062802jumpie_prv.gif033102food_1_prv.gif062802drink_prv.gif082502cheers_prv.gif

Fantasy 2/6/2000

Victory 3/23/2003

Destiny 4/25/2004

Hey Judy, that's not good, girl! My adult son, (manly-man that he is), doesn't have "time" to be ill, and HATES to rely on any meds when he feels like he's coming down with something. Men! icon_rolleyes.gif

However, he SWEARS by the "Z-Pak"...so if you're gonna call your doc anyway, ask him about the Z-Pak. My son says it knocks out a cold in record time!

Have a great (cold-free) cruise!!!

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

We keep Tylenol Flu and Tylenol Cold on hand at our house. It can make a drastic difference in how you feel in just one dose.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=2325FF&cdt=2005;02;13;18;00;00&timezone=CST-0500  til my 02/13/05 Miracle cruise

Victory Nov 2002

Conquest Apr 2003

Thanks for all the great tips. I take vitamin c and zinc everyday I started take twice as much today. I called the doctor and she gave me a prescription for allegra and I did feel beeter after taking just one. I got some of the above stuff to take with me. I leave tomorrow right after work! 1 more work day.

The good news is my boss called me on my way home tonight after a long meeting that kept us after hours and told me to leave for lunch at 12:00 noon tomorrow and don't return till Tuesday 4/13 the day I was due to return!!!! So I got an extra half day off to finishing packing.

Judy

NCL Sea 4/14-4/27/03

Wonder 5/16-5/19/02

Wonder 5/3-5/8/01

Fantasy 2/15-2/18/01

I agree, Zycam, but you have to keep using it every couple hours like the label says.

Nile river cruise 4/84

Song of America 12/87

Voyager of the Seas 1/04/04

Ecstacy 7/26/04

Where do you get Zycam? I might need to get somw if I can on the way to the airport today.

I will try JV idea, I like that one.

Cotton, what is a Z-Pak, I never heard of it?

Thanks to all!

Judy

NCL Sea 4/14-4/27/03

Wonder 5/16-5/19/02

Wonder 5/3-5/8/01

Fantasy 2/15-2/18/01

A "Z-Pak" is an antibiotic taken for 5 days that continues to work for ten days. However, no antibiotic is effective for a cold. Colds are caused by viruses. Antibiotics are effective against bacteria, which have never in human history caused a cold.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bajohnsons:

Antibiotics are effective against bacteria, which have never in human history caused a cold.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never ever?

Oh well, I'm not a doctor (and don't pretend to play one on CC). icon_wink.gif

Hope whatever you take works for you, Judy. Ooops, you're probably already on your way by now!

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

Hopefully I'm not too late but you should take a good decongestant before getting on the plane or you could have problems with your ears. I flwe with a really bad cold once and the ear pain was unbearable. After landing, I couldn't hear right for 2-3 days.

Take Sudafed or its generic equivalent. It won't make you drowsy.

Sovereign of the Seas (11/89)

Monarch of the Seas (8/99)

Norwegian Sea (7/02)

Carnival Glory (4/17/04)

I haven't left yet. We are leaving at 4pm and I'm getting my last minute info and my last CC fix before we go.

The allegra that the doctor gave me seems to be working and I got cold-ease zinc and I feel a little better. I think I got it before it got me and it might not even been a cold but no chances.

Thanks for all the tips!!!!

Judy

NCL Sea 4/14-4/27/03

Wonder 5/16-5/19/02

Wonder 5/3-5/8/01

Fantasy 2/15-2/18/01

Archived