Koningsdam - balcony depth by deck

sprockie

A question - do the actual balconies have less depth the higher the deck? I know there are some nice deep balconies on Deck 4, but are they all about the same depth on the other decks? We will be cruising with our two teenagers in an opposite inside cabin, but would like enough room on the balcony for more than two of us at any given time.

I am glad there are some family cabins on the Koningsdam, but at the same time disappointed that "family" type accommodation aren't also available in verandah cabins.

What cabin have you booked? The standard depth for most of the VC through VF on decks 5 through 8 is 6 feet. Also the deck 6 and deck 8 mid-ship VA are 6 feet I believe.The VQ on deck 10 are only about 4 feet, and I think the VB on deck 11 are about the same or a tad more. I believe the deck 5 mid-ship V may be a bit shallower than standard, but that's just judging from pictures that I have taken from a dock.

You can find pictures of many of these balconies at https://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/

Edited by catl331

We have a VB on deck 4 toward the aft and my understanding is that these balconies are about twice the depth of a standard cabin. Balconies above can see the outer part of balconies in this section.
I would say they are at least double the 6 ft standard, maybe a little more. HERE IS a pic of the side of the aft-wrap 4184, and all of the VB balconies along the side would be the same depth.

Excellent. Thank you everyone. Yes, we normally book on deck 4 in the aft - every ship seems to have a good number of quads back there and we like the extra room in the balcony when there are more than 2 of us out on the balcony. I had a look at some of the other balconies and it must have been a balcony on Deck 10 or 11 and I realized how small they were. Perfect for 2 maybe but definitely not 4.

Excellent. Thank you everyone. Yes, we normally book on deck 4 in the aft - every ship seems to have a good number of quads back there and we like the extra room in the balcony when there are more than 2 of us out on the balcony. I had a look at some of the other balconies and it must have been a balcony on Deck 10 or 11 and I realized how small they were. Perfect for 2 maybe but definitely not 4.

Have you been in Suite 4184 the aft-wrap around? If so, your thoughts.

Have you been in Suite 4184 the aft-wrap around? If so, your thoughts.

Oh my, just looked at the 4184 picture, no we haven't been in that one but wish we had! Lovely.

Yes, I am going to try to scoop the 4154 or 4156 when we book. Luckily, they have it designated a quad, which is great because we're unsure if we'll have our teens in the cabin or across the hall in an interior. This will be the first time with separate cabins for our teens and the cost will be significantly more (we usually are fortunate enough to take advantage of the 3/4 sail free pricing). I think on a 10 day cruise the kids having their own space will make a significant difference to our mental health (all of us)!

Oh my, just looked at the 4184 picture, no we haven't been in that one but wish we had! Lovely.

Yes, I am going to try to scoop the 4154 or 4156 when we book. Luckily, they have it designated a quad, which is great because we're unsure if we'll have our teens in the cabin or across the hall in an interior. This will be the first time with separate cabins for our teens and the cost will be significantly more (we usually are fortunate enough to take advantage of the 3/4 sail free pricing). I think on a 10 day cruise the kids having their own space will make a significant difference to our mental health (all of us)!

We had 4 in our room, and while our 3rd and 4th were little, my wife indicated on the second day that we would be cruising in minisuite on princess or hal equivalent going forward, even if it meant cruising less. That's not to say the k-dam rooms are small, but it is tighter than the r class or Vista ships. Had we not been in the Caribbean with grandparents next door, we might have gone for the family Oceanview...but the verandah that we had, oh that was worth it. One kid was pushing the other in the stroller between the two cabin verandahs and doing it in figure eights with tables and chairs as obstacles...hours of fun..the amount of room on the verandahs for those two rooms combined is rediculous.

I think you have made a wise choice getting two rooms.

We had 4 in our room, and while our 3rd and 4th were little, my wife indicated on the second day that we would be cruising in minisuite on princess or hal equivalent going forward, even if it meant cruising less. That's not to say the k-dam rooms are small, but it is tighter than the r class or Vista ships. Had we not been in the Caribbean with grandparents next door, we might have gone for the family Oceanview...but the verandah that we had, oh that was worth it. One kid was pushing the other in the stroller between the two cabin verandahs and doing it in figure eights with tables and chairs as obstacles...hours of fun..the amount of room on the verandahs for those two rooms combined is rediculous.

I think you have made a wise choice getting two rooms.

I think so. We've cruised about 10 times with our kids as 3/4 passengers and have always been fine - for 7 days max, then we all start getting under each other's skin. Now that they're all taller than me, my boy in that upper bunk isn't so sweet.

We once had an aft family verandah on celebrity's constellation. That was definitely tollerable for a longer time. There was room for 30 people on that balcony with 4 loungers, table, chairs etc. I wish Hal had something similar for families in the balcony category.