Dressing for Meals

bjfp

I'm sure this question has been asked before (probably many times), but I wanted to know what kind of clothing is generally worn for dinner. I know they say 'country club casual', but everyone's idea of that is different.

With all the sales going on of Xmas clothing, I thought it would be a good time to pick up some fancier things if I needed them. We are booked on the Oct 6 cruise from Barcelona to Venice. So my questions would be:

What do women wear to dinner (I'm assuming men would be sports jackets)

What temperatures can we expect in that region for that time of year

With no set seating times, do you make reservations for each night or just go to the restaurant of choice

Any help would be appreciated!

For dinner most women wear a nice dress or pant suit ..something you would wear out to a nice restaurant but not too formal

Men some wear sprt coats, suits or just dress shirt ..no ties required

The only time you need reservation is for the 2 specialty restaurants the other times you just show up at the dining room or the buffet.

Enjoy your cruise

We were on Regatta into the Baltic this past August.

Dress code very relaxed - about 10% of the men wore a jacket or blazer at dinner, fewer with ties. I did see one white dinner jacket one evening.

Women for the most part dressed as described above.

We like to eat early - and never had any problem getting a table immediately upon walking into the dining room.

(I'm assuming men would be sports jackets)

Friends...PLEASE assure me this is NOT the case!

I was just looking forward to "packing light", not having to schlepp a tuxedo and a sports coat and ties...

I come from Southern California where you can walk into juat about ANY restaurant in town wearing shorts and a T-shirt (heck, I've even been to Spago in shorts!) so, it's concession enough to go change into the long Dockers and a sports shirt to hit the dining room for dinner...

And I happen to live at a Country Club (well, not exactly AT the club, but just off the 7th fairway...and I don't see a lot of guys in silly sports coats for no reason arounds here...Heck, I'll dress NICER than most of the folks at the CC...No golf shirts and polyester pants for me...

But, I mean, it's a 14 night cruise...and I doubt I (or anyone) would wear the SAME Sports Jacket every night--so, that would mean schlepping at least THREE Sports coats just to mix it up?

We'll be in the Mediterranean in July...and, yes, I've been there in July a few times before...it can be hotter than Hades...Even though the Dining Room is Air Conditioned, I seriously find the concept of putting on a coat when you've been running around all day in 90+ degree weather to be outright unthinkable...

So, friends...are they going to kick me out of the Dining Room...or am I going to be ostracized by my fellow cruisers...if I wear the Dockers and a nice short-sleeved, buttoned-down collared sports shirt to dinner?

LHT28, thanks, that sounds more practical than having to buy stuff I'll probably not wear again (except on another cruise). Where in Ontario are you? I live just north of Toronto.

My husband will be glad to hear a dress shirt will be ok for most nights.

Anyone have an idea what temperatures we can expect in that area in Oct? Or a good website that would have that info?

Steve,

Don't worry about wearing a jacket. We've done 2 Oceania cruises the last one was Venice to Barcelona.. My husband didn't wear a jacket at all and neither did a large number of men. He brought one in case he needed it in Venice. Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy "packing light".

Joan

LHT28, thanks, that sounds more practical than having to buy stuff I'll probably not wear again (except on another cruise). Where in Ontario are you? I live just north of Toronto.

My husband will be glad to hear a dress shirt will be ok for most nights.

We are also north of TO.....south end of Lake Simcoe area.

Are we neighbours???:)

Friends...PLEASE assure me this is NOT the case!

I was just looking forward to "packing light", not having to schlepp a tuxedo and a sports coat and ties...

So, friends...are they going to kick me out of the Dining Room...or am I going to be ostracized by my fellow cruisers...if I wear the Dockers and a nice short-sleeved, buttoned-down collared sports shirt to dinner?

You will be fine...no ties or TUX required ..a sports coat if you want but not required either.

DH wore his blazer when we dined in Polo and Toscana but other night just a shirt and dress pants.

If you are planning a pre or post hotel stay in some place in Europe do yourself a favor and bring a dark sports coat.. and even a tie if you think you will be having a fabulous 5 star dinner somewhere..which of course if you are in that part of the world Steve, far , far away from Calabasas , 7th fairway, you absolutely should!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

I mean it's no Kings ;)

Archived