Grand Turk Seaweed

jandkshaver

I don't like to get in the water when there's that much - every time it touches me I think something is after me. But, you can't really argue with nature - it will do what it will do.

We snorkeled from the beach in front of Jack's Shack last week. I never realized how much sea life was that close to shore, but realized I was the intruder and was glad the fish and others let me share the water;)

It did seem clearer at Jack's, but I also saw employees raking the beach to help keep it clean.

We snorkeled from the beach in front of Jack's Shack last week. I never realized how much sea life was that close to shore, but realized I was the intruder and was glad the fish and others let me share the water;)

It did seem clearer at Jack's, but I also saw employees raking the beach to help keep it clean.

Did you by chance snorkel out in the deeper part by the safety line, by Jack's or by M'Ville?

I've found there to be considerable sea-life out there by the dredge (dropoff to 40 ft depth) and I'm wondering if the water out there is still as clear as it's been before the seaweed. It was clear enough to spot a cinderblock on the bottom in 40 ft....which of course we challenged each other to free-dive down to. :) [i did it with fins; another guy did it without. :o ]

Did you by chance snorkel out in the deeper part by the safety line, by Jack's or by M'Ville?

I've found there to be considerable sea-life out there by the dredge (dropoff to 40 ft depth) and I'm wondering if the water out there is still as clear as it's been before the seaweed. It was clear enough to spot a cinderblock on the bottom in 40 ft....which of course we challenged each other to free-dive down to. :) [i did it with fins; another guy did it without. :o ]

We were just at Jack's - didn't make it to the drop off. I was still amazed at how much sea life there was and it was very clear and a lot to see with the masks. Half Moon Cay was so clear you didn't even need to put your face in the water, but not as much sea life - mostly just the "clear" fish.

We're mostly novices still, so anything is still exciting for us. Some people said they saw an octopus, we saw some type of "ugly" fish in addition to the crabs and regular fish.

We were just at Jack's - didn't make it to the drop off. I was still amazed at how much sea life there was and it was very clear and a lot to see with the masks.

The "very clear" part of this has me really hopeful. :)

Half Moon Cay was so clear you didn't even need to put your face in the water, but not as much sea life - mostly just the "clear" fish.

The best snorkeling there is near the jetty to the left, by the Private Oasis.

We're mostly novices still, so anything is still exciting for us. Some people said they saw an octopus, we saw some type of "ugly" fish in addition to the crabs and regular fish.

I'm not too particular either. As long as I see something besides sand underwater I'm happy. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Back from our cruise on the Magic last week and Grand Turk, and I'm happy to report that the seaweed is nearly all gone.  

As for the clarity of the water and the amount of fish, here's a link to my Youtube playlist with snorkeling videos from the visit.  

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRBeGca8BgGGg7kR3otbkdau8-zhhtFtc  

The only vid with "cloudy" water is the second "octopus" one...not sure why the water had become that cloudy out by the line.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...