How best to book rooms for family of 5

kittyg

I am looking for a 7 night caribbean cruise out of Port Canaveral/Ft.L/Miami weekend of 5/27 for 2 adults, 3 kids (15,13,8). Looks like it will be Carnival or RC.

DH wants a balcony room. I'm assuming they don't make balcony rooms for 5 that are reasonably affordable? I figured we would get a balcony and an interior where the 3 kids could sleep, preferably on the same deck. (I realize we might need to reserve with an adult in each room.)

Do I put in party of 5? It comes back with price pp for either balcony or interior, but we don't want all 5 in either or. Will I have to book 2 people and then separately book the 3 interior?

thanks for any help. Just starting out...

I usually look to see what is available with the rooms being next or close to one another, and then you do have to book for 3 and then for two.

There are a few ships that do 5 to a room and with a balcony it usually worked out less expensive than doing a balcony plus an inside if the limited space isnt an issue.

The least expensive way will be to put two people in the balcony cabin and three in the inside. Definitely talk to a travel agent. If you are looking at RCI's Mariner of the Seas, there are a couple of sets of D1 balcony cabins that are right next door to an inside cabin. 9676/9681 and 9376/9381 are connecting. 8678/8681 and 8378/8381 are next to each other but are not connecting. If you don't get these then you definitely want ones directly across the hall from each other, to do this you will need to talk to a travel agent or the cruise line directly, it will be hard if not impossible to do this over the internet.

Another option is a grand suite or an owner's suite with all 5 of you in it. But you have to talk to a travel agent to be able to book 5 people in one room.

Other options on RCI that will be more expensive, family oceanview stateroom (no balcony) or the royal family suite. Neither of these can be booked online.

You definitely need to talk to a travel agent though for any of these options. Definitely don't assume one option will be more or less than another without checking it out. Another thing - do it soon. That will be a popular time to cruise and your options may be few and far between the longer you wait.

Several times we have booked ourselves an outside cabin and an adjacent inside cabin for the kids (both teens). We usually book an adult and child in each room, then change keys once we are onboard. I always get an additional key to the childrens cabin, so I can enter any time and check up on them.

I'd not try to book 5 into one cabin, unless it was a suite with 2 bathrooms. If you think you could survive the week in a walk in closet, with a bathroom not much larger than a phone booth (remember those?), then you would be fine in one cabin.

We love our children dearly and they are mostly with us at all times on a cruise, but we need our privacy and don't want to share a bathroom with them. They are slobs, we over tip their cabin steward, plus pick up after them every day.

We are a family of 5 as well and will be going on our 3rd cruise with all of the children in March.

You don't have to get a travel agent. Any booking agency you call (on-line, local agent, or directly to the cruise line) will work with you to identify rooms that are available that meet your needs. I have never used a local travel agent .. always booked on line (by calling the toll free number) or through the

cruise line.

From experience ... I would really go with 2 rooms vice trying to get all 5 of you in a single room. The reason is you will only have a single bathroom if all 5 of you share a cabin. We put our boys (now 17 and 13) in one cabin and my daughter (7 when we cruise in March) in the cabin with my wife and me. It works out great.

Good Luck!

I always use the same online company and have never had a problem booking. RCCL will let you put two children in an adjoining room, or across the hall as close to the parents as possible. Ex: my husband and myself are in outside room, and 2 grandkids (10, 15) are across the hall and niece and nephew (10, 15) are next door to them.

We booked 2 inside rooms on Sovereign of the Seas 4 years ago and we were allowed to book our daughter (then 17) alone in the room next to us. Our TA said as long as the child's cabin is next door or across the hall from the parent's you can book this way-so I assume you still can-unless they have changed their policy.

Carnival's Destiny class ships ( Triumph, Destiny, Victory) sleep five to a room... even in a balcony.

Unless you wanted privacy, I believe it would be cheaper.

May 27, Carnival Triumph, western carribean itinerary, Balcony Guarantee cruise out of Miami:

$1029 per adult, and $689 per kid if they stay in your room.

Go to Carnival.com to check out other prices.

I always use the same online company and have never had a problem booking. RCCL will let you put two children in an adjoining room, or across the hall as close to the parents as possible. Ex: my husband and myself are in outside room, and 2 grandkids (10, 15) are across the hall and niece and nephew (10, 15) are next door to them.

The reason I said call a TA and not online is only a few cabins, generally 5-7, in each category will show online. They won't necessarily be in the same area. So if you are trying to get a balcony cabin across from an inside cabin for example you may not be able to find that online, even though such cabins are available. Or if you are it may not be the least expensive options in those categories.

The reason I said call a TA and not online is only a few cabins, generally 5-7, in each category will show online. They won't necessarily be in the same area. So if you are trying to get a balcony cabin across from an inside cabin for example you may not be able to find that online, even though such cabins are available. Or if you are it may not be the least expensive options in those categories.

Good point. We're a family of 5, always book a room for me & DH and put the 3 kids in another room, either connecting or directly across the hall. It is hard to find all available rooms from which to select specific rooms that meet my criteria. I have looked online, then ended up calling the online site for additional assistance. Then I was fortunate enough to be given the online pricing since I had "officially" started out that way. I have yet to find a site that will show all available cabins from which I could have my pick! Wish it existed. :) Good luck. We definitely have enjoyed having 2 rooms so as to have 2 bathrooms~~~even though we could get by quite a bit cheaper on some ships with 5 in 1 room, I don't think we could ever manage it without someone losing their mind, temper, or both! :D

Hi... I have some clients who have 3 kids and so does my daughter and son in law. And it is not very easy to solve this problem. Some of the newer ships including the new NCL ships have two options that may help. They have ajoining rooms and they have placed inside cabin directly cross from oceanview cabins. So what I do is not use my booking links but instead call my rep at the cruise line. Then with a deck plan in hand and knowledge of what my clients will and won't accept work out something with the rep. So far I have had good luck. BUT...don't wait too long. You can't do this when a ship is half full already unless you want to spend the big bucks. So book early and use a TA as before I got into this business I had very little luck getting things my way with online agencies or with cruise lines. For some reason when they know they are talking to an agent, they are a lot more helpful. Isn't fair I know, but that is the way it is in my opinion and experience.

Bon Voyage and have a great day.

Jay Beckham

worldclasscruises@direcway.com

Archived