Special diet (plant based - salt, oil and sugar free) on NCL

Hunterw0026

Hi to all,

I cruised on Epic 2 years ago but at that time did not have this SUPER strict diet.

I want to know if I can get fresh fruit and vegetables and steamed vegetables (baked potato, steamed rice) on most of the Norwegian ships.

I did call the inquiry number and the gentleman stated example the free restaurants Taste and Manhattan would do this if I requested ahead.

Is steamed veggies in the buffets / cafe? I do recall fresh fruit and I think there are some plain salad vegetables.

Thank you!!!!!! :D:D:D

Wendy

Plenty of fruits and veggies in the buffet, Dinning rooms will cater to your request as much as possible

Thank you so much! My issue is, it's can't be off at all. I can not have sugar, oil or salt in the food. Is there a way to ensure this apart from not cruising?

Again, I thank you.

Thank you so much! My issue is, it's can't be off at all. I can not have sugar, oil or salt in the food. Is there a way to ensure this apart from not cruising?

Again, I thank you.

Send an email to accessdesk@ncl.com with reservation #, sailing date, etc and explain in great detail exactly what is required. And then dont assume the wait staff etc know enough to order what you need....... speak directly to the maitre de or hostess at restaurants and seek out the executive chef at the buffet to point things out to you.

There is no way to "ensure" this the minute you leave the safety of your own kitchen so you need to be very proactive in what your requirements are. This is not just on a cruise but at any restaurant you eat at

Hi to all,

I cruised on Epic 2 years ago but at that time did not have this SUPER strict diet.

I want to know if I can get fresh fruit and vegetables and steamed vegetables (baked potato, steamed rice) on most of the Norwegian ships.

I did call the inquiry number and the gentleman stated example the free restaurants Taste and Manhattan would do this if I requested ahead.

Is steamed veggies in the buffets / cafe? I do recall fresh fruit and I think there are some plain salad vegetables.

Thank you!!!!!! :D:D:D

Wendy

Hey Wendy,

Call the Access Desk at the number below and discuss your needs at least 45 days prior to your cruise. On the ship, talk with the restaurants you plan to dine in at least 24 hours in advance to make sure that they will have the foods you want and need.

Note: there are not plain, steamed veg on the buffet. You’ll have to request it.

https://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising

In order to accomplish that goal, Norwegian Cruise Line has a seasoned group of cruise professionals who are specifically trained to meet your needs through our dedicated toll free number for accessible travel (866-584-9756). Norwegian Cruise Line's team of Access Coordinators at the Access Desk have experience in furthering Norwegian Cruise Line's mission to provide a safe and accessible cruise experience for all guests with special requirements to the extent that is feasible. The Access Desk Coordinators will discuss with you your needs and expectations for your cruising experience

Send an email to accessdesk@ncl.com with reservation #, sailing date, etc and explain in great detail exactly what is required. And then dont assume the wait staff etc know enough to order what you need....... speak directly to the maitre de or hostess at restaurants and seek out the executive chef at the buffet to point things out to you.

There is no way to "ensure" this the minute you leave the safety of your own kitchen so you need to be very proactive in what your requirements are. This is not just on a cruise but at any restaurant you eat at

Thank you so much! :halo: At this point, I don't eat out except potatoes from Wendys or steamed rice from a chinese spot.

I did email them. They were quite vague, so I called too. Still not really solid in their answers so I decided to ask here in case someone has seen these items available....

They have fresh fruit. On occasion, it hasn't been ripe (just warning).

There are generally "Asian" areas in the buffet. But, I don't know if they have just plain steamed rice. I suspect they add salt or some seasoning to everything.

There is a salad bar with fresh vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beans....but the availability is hit and miss.

I've never seen plain steamed vegetables. Again, they liven it up a bit.

Carnival seems to have "baked potatoes" in the buffet. Maybe ask in that forum. I know some people are angry that they added "baked potato bar".

If for medical reasons you need to stay away from those things, I'd reconsider cruising. If it's just a personal choice you'll need to be flexible.

They have fresh fruit. On occasion, it hasn't been ripe (just warning).

There are generally "Asian" areas in the buffet. But, I don't know if they have just plain steamed rice. I suspect they add salt or some seasoning to everything.

There is a salad bar with fresh vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beans....but the availability is hit and miss.

I've never seen plain steamed vegetables. Again, they liven it up a bit.

Carnival seems to have "baked potatoes" in the buffet. Maybe ask in that forum. I know some people are angry that they added "baked potato bar".

If for medical reasons you need to stay away from those things, I'd reconsider cruising. If it's just a personal choice you'll need to be flexible.

This was such an excellent answer and I thank you! Yes, it is for medical reasons so I am very inflexible. I do think my cruising days might be over. :(

You don't need to give up cruising! This is the Forks Over Knives, WFPB diet. It is extremely healthy and congratulations! I have been on this for years, but I don't have to be as strict as you, so it's a bit easier.

I would stay away from the buffet and stick to the restaurants where you can consult with the staff. They are used to this and when it is for medical reasons they will be as strict as you are!

Still, when the food arrives, you can give it the finger test! I can always tell if they have added oil that way. Good Luck!

You don't need to give up cruising! This is the Forks Over Knives, WFPB diet. It is extremely healthy and congratulations! I have been on this for years, but I don't have to be as strict as you, so it's a bit easier.

I would stay away from the buffet and stick to the restaurants where you can consult with the staff. They are used to this and when it is for medical reasons they will be as strict as you are!

Still, when the food arrives, you can give it the finger test! I can always tell if they have added oil that way. Good Luck!

Wow! What a great answer!! Thank you so much and I am glad to meet a fellow FOK!!! :D:cool:

My wife has extensive allergies...no wheat, corn, corn syrup, corn oil, milk products, etc., etc. ( Fortunately for me, gold also.) Ncl handled the issues well. For us, the key was to meet with the maitre d first day and explain needs. We were set up for meals with same table and wait staff for each meal. Maitre d would bring next days menu and review ingredients to ensure allergies handled. Buffet was more problematic. You will need to ask one of the supervising maitre d or chefs, not the servers to get accurate info. We also bring our own goat cheese, goat milk yogurt and snacks. Don’t forget to plan for time off the ships. Most ports will not allow fruits and non-commercially packaged foods to enter. We were allowed to take commercially sealed dried fruits and nuts ashore.

Please don't think I'm being antagonistic here, I am merely interested.

How can you not eat any oil in your diet?

Meaning.... can the body survive without any oil? how would you absorb/obtain fat soluble vitamins?

Salt... I find all meals on cruises to be saltier than I cook at home, I think this one maybe be the trickiest.

FYI, I was a chef for many years, and all veg has added salt in any commercial establishment. Unless notified otherwise.

If I had dietary requirements this serious, I would not trust a mainstream cruise company to do this. Your health is more important.

But this sounds like a weight loss plan.

Edited by 123linz123

@Hunter, the access desk will transmit your request to the ship. The ship will handle from there. That's probably why you didn't get such a great response from shoreside services! Regardless, as others have said once on the ship, they'll be able to take care of your needs.

Meaning.... can the body survive without any oil? how would you absorb/obtain fat soluble vitamins?

Salt... I find all meals on cruises to be saltier than I cook at home, I think this one maybe be the trickiest.

FYI, I was a chef for many years, and all veg has added salt in any commercial establishment. Unless notified otherwise.

If I had dietary requirements this serious, I would not trust a mainstream cruise company to do this. Your health is more important.

That’s the same reason I asked!! No sugar means no fresh fruit either🤷🏻*♀️. Fruit has natural sugars but it’s still sugar so if someone cannot have sugar- they can’t have fresh fruit???

Quote from Hunter...."I can not have sugar, oil or salt in the food."

How do you survive? ---Your body needs oils and salt

And from her profile directly...

Interests: Traveling!! Eating out, wine tasting and movies

Post #9 names the diet. I had never heard of it, but I love Mr. Google. I would think those inquisitive would do the same.

I think the no sugar, oil or salt.....should be 'ADDITIONAL sugar, oil, salt". The proscribed diet includes avacado, nuts, legumes...in essence a 'whole grain plant based' eating regimen which includes natural sources of oils, sugars and salts.

Many people suffer from auto immune diseases, cancers, environmental diseases....and often are better helped by holistic health regimens of natural foods that just throwing a bunch of pharmaceuticals at it.

Yes, I know some people want to stick to their 'diet of the month' or advocate dietary issues when it is really 'preference', but there are plenty of legitimate reasons for avoiding foods that might mess with your system. sometimes it is sensitivities that just make you feel crappy with minor symptoms, sometimes it can flair up controlled illnesses and other times just flat out kill you.

Please, with all due respect, if inquisitive, research it. So often threads here turn into the Spanish Inquisition or practicing 'guilty until proven innocent'.

As to the profile, it is the first time in over 2 years they posted here. And food wasn't an issue then. They most likely didn't even thimk to update their profile.

I will descend from my soapbox now.:(

My wife has extensive allergies...no wheat, corn, corn syrup, corn oil, milk products, etc., etc. ( Fortunately for me, gold also.) Ncl handled the issues well. For us, the key was to meet with the maitre d first day and explain needs. We were set up for meals with same table and wait staff for each meal. Maitre d would bring next days menu and review ingredients to ensure allergies handled. Buffet was more problematic. You will need to ask one of the supervising maitre d or chefs, not the servers to get accurate info. We also bring our own goat cheese, goat milk yogurt and snacks. Don’t forget to plan for time off the ships. Most ports will not allow fruits and non-commercially packaged foods to enter. We were allowed to take commercially sealed dried fruits and nuts ashore.

This was SO HELPFUL and I thank you so so much!!!! :hearteyes:

It's not a weight loss plan but yes, I have lost a bit of weight on it. I get it. We are told so much false information. Heart disease, high blood pressure, IBS, Crohn's cancers and many other medical issues of which I have many of the others including heard disease and hospitalized with high BP 3 times in the past few years and one time was 223/119. People with EXTREME BP should not take in any salt. I also had extreme cholesterol and was facing that medication as well. Animal products are very bad for cholesterol but so is oil in any form. The amount of protein we need is a myth and it what is causing so many of us to go into renal failure. All fruit and vegetables have enough salt to sustain us as well as protein. I do tell people to look at the research on Dr Esselstyn, Dr Alan Goldhamer, Dr Pam Popper and Dr Colin Campbell.

I was on 15 meds daily and am now down to one and hoping to be off that here soon too. I am totally off blood pressure medicine. All my blood tests are in the perfect range. I got to this point in about 4 years.

This is not directed at you but I will say, I didn't want to argue my lifestyle and my health with everyone. I just wanted to know my food options. :halo: