Motion sickness

deb380

I use ginger, works for me and I can't really take anything else without side effects. There are MANY threads on this subject, you can do a search and read through people's opinions... but until you try something you won't know how it works for YOU. So whatever you decide, try ahead of time to see if you will have side effects... take 2 remedies along in case one doesn't work.

Debbie, lots of folks seem to be using the ginger caps with good results. However, I am prone to motion sickness, and I swear by non-drowsy Bonine. I take one before boarding the ship, and one every night of the cruise - just as I'm going to bed. I've not had any queasiness since taking Bonine.

Now here's a tip from an old sea captain uncle of mine.... Should you feel queasy, do NOT go to your cabin to lie down. This is the very worst thing you can do. Closing your eyes is really a bad idea. You should go to the frontmost part of the ship, on an open deck. Look out at the horizon or focus on something in the far distance. DO NOT LOOK down at the water! Let the wind blow on your face, and again, do not close your eyes.

Here's hoping y'all have a wonderful cruise.:)

I am very prone to seasickness. If you go to your local pharmacy and read the ingredients to things like non-drowsy bonine, dramamine and the store brand you will see they are all exactly the same. I start mine 2 days before I leave and I have a ball!

MythBusters did a show on motion sickness relief, and Ginger tables did in fact work, without the OTC or presciption side effects.

the only other option is to just drink heavily, but that can get expensive!

All long time cruisers. What works best for motion sickness? I will be cruising with my husband and 2 children 11 and 15.

It's been years since I have cruised.

Thanks

Debbie

The only thing that works for me is the patch and I never have any side effects nor do I limit my alcohol, though DW says I'm a lightweight.

Hi,

I get REALLY bad motion sickness on just about everything, but have been cruising now for 5 years. Here's what works for me:

First, I book an inside cabin mid-ship. It's not the nicest deck, or the best room, but it sure does make a difference.

Two, I don't get hungry. Not hard to do on a cruise ship!

Three, I bought the relief bands with the pressure points for your wrist. I'm not usually one to try or believe in anything that's non-medicinal, but I swear by these bands. While they don't look very glamorous on formal night, neither does a patch behind your ear! I find that on some cruises, I have actually adjusted mid-week and can start wearing them less!

Give it a try!

J Lo

Excellent advice from everyone.

I, myself don't have a problem with motion sickness as a rule, but have learned a few things in a few cruises in rough water.

I completely concur with leonardjan about the room on the ship and the making sure you are never hungry!! I would love to try getting an upgrade sometime to some fancy room, but I want to pick out my mid-ship room to be sure of where I'll be!!

Then, what Cotton's uncle said - with the whole idea being FRESH AIR!!! It makes allllll the difference in the world!! Our kids got sick one night during some rough water - we took them up on Lido, with their blankets, pulled down some chairs, stayed out there (with a ton of other people that had the same idea!!) until they got sleepy enough to go back to the cabin. All was well!!

Have a great cruise!!

Archived