Lactose Intolerance Options/Alternatives

LadyVol1

My sister will be cruising on her first cruise. I’ve cruised a lot but have never paid attention to dairy alternatives. She’s lactose intolerant which is NOT life threatening and isn’t that big of a deal to her but I want her first cruise to be outstanding and for her to have as much info as possible. I know about notifying HAL in advance about allergies and filling out the form.

However I was wondering if HAL has any lactose-free ice creams, yogurts, cheeses, etc.? I know they have dairy milk alternatives like almond milk and soy milk and I think those work for her but what about any other dairy alternatives for other major forms of dairy (ice cream, yogurt, cheese, etc.)? Thanks in advance!

I am lactose intolerant though not completely. I find that I can tolerate the soft serve ice cream at the Lido dessert bar. Your sister may have to ask at the beverage station in the Lido for the milk alternatives. They do not always put them on display. She can also get the dinner menu in the MDR the night before and choose items that she wants. If they have dairy in them, the chef may be able to make them with alternatives, if not, they will tell her and she can pick something else. I have not found it really to be a problem.

Are you asking for every restaurant or just the MDR? I know you can speak to someone there about special diets but I am not sure about the buffet or other restaurants.

I guess I was asking about Lido since that’s where you find the various ice creams, yogurts and cheeses.

But if anyone has had success in ordering lactose-free ice cream in the MDR, I would be interested in knowing that as well.

I am lactose intolerant and have used the preorder dinner option very successfully on my last two cruises. Just talk to your waiters. Often I have gotten entrees and soups that are specially prepared and I have stayed healthy. Milk products hide in many foods and are unpredictable - and of course cheese as an ingredient or a topper often appears without reference in the menu.

Desserts, however, were fruit plates most nights or I would request a couple of the triangular cookies that they use on the sundaes - virtually any other dessert is chock full of milk products. The Pinnacle grill did offer to prep a special dessert if they had advance notice - good to know.

I am lactose intolerant though not completely. I find that I can tolerate the soft serve ice cream at the Lido dessert bar.

I'm sorry, but I just had to chuckle at this one. Especially since I believe this was an entirely serious post ;) 'I'm lactose intolerant' when it's convenient ('though not completely'), but when it comes to the 'good stuff' (desserts)... bring it on! Lol! :')

I'm sorry, but I just had to chuckle at this one. Especially since I believe this was an entirely serious post ;) 'I'm lactose intolerant' when it's convenient ('though not completely'), but when it comes to the 'good stuff' (desserts)... bring it on! Lol! :')
This was not meant to be funny. There are degrees of intolerance and it increases with age. Unfortunately the really good things such as desserts and creamy cheeses are high in lactose. I have been told that the soft serve ice cream is frozen yoghurt which is low in lactose. It does not make me ill whereas the regular ice cream does. My comment was meant to be helpful in case the lady is not completely lactose intolerant.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

You are right that some forms and combinations with dairy lactose are less of a problem than others.

Good (bad?) news is high fat lactose is easier to digest - like premium ice creams when compared to lower quality that often include added non-fat dry milk solids. Fat slows down the digestion giving any limited amounts of lactase one still produces, more time to work. Some cheeses have much lower content of lactose than others -making the mozzarella on the pizza easier to digest too. When all else fails, the Lactaid tablets do what they are supposed to do - add some lactase back into the system.

Both I and my partner are mildly lactose intolerant. It's usually only milk, yoghurt, cream and ice cream that sets us off, we don't usually have problems with cheese and other processed dairy items. My partner is more intolerant than me, I can take small/moderate amounts. My partner avoids yoghurt, cream and ice cream onboard but likes milk with his cereals and tea during breakfast. There is lactose free milk (we don't like soy/almond/oatmeal milk that much) during breakfast in the Lido, but you have to ask the staff in the dessert/juice station and then they will fetch it. Have never tried in the MDR or other restaurants, we only eat breakfast in the Lido. Also he doesn't need milk other than at breakfast.

/Henrik

I can definitely relate to the posts from those who have a lactose intolerance. In the morning, in the Lido there is lactose free milk. It is not self serve, so a staff person will pour you a glass. It's at the station where there are other small containers of milk.

I have asked, but so far no indication of lactose free ice-cream, cheese etc. For several years now I have made a point of commenting on this in the cruise survey, but HAL does not seem to make this accommodation.

When there is no lactose free products, I take a "lactose enzyme" just before eating. There are several different over the counter brands. This was recommended by my doctor. Have done this for years, and it works for me. I always carry a small pill box

of them.

Sorbet (not sherbet which has milk) is what worked for us during the sit down dinners. Flavors on and off the menu. No such luck in lido. Meringue cookies was about it. We stopped in town grocery stores for snacks ashore. We had to watch for things cooked in butter in lido. We liked fixed dinner tables and times so we didn't have to explain everything every night. Shore trips don't make it very easy.

sightcrr

Edited by SightCRR