Calling Past Caribbean Princess cruisers

MikeInPgh

My wife and I are thinking of booking on the Crown Princess for next December. I have a few concerns about how crowded the ship might be. We were on the Grand in 2004 and had a great time and felt it was just the right size ship for us (and 2498 of our closest friends). are the public spaces on the Caribbean class changed to accomodate the extra 500 pax? How is the people flow coming in and out of the dining rooms? And what about deck space on sea days?

Any input on this class of ship is appreciated.

Mike

Like with everything else based on personal experience, you'll get a different answer from everyone. We were on the CB a year ago for New Years and found that even with bad weather which forced people to stay indoors for a couple of days, we had no problems with crowds nor did we feel that the ship was excessively full. (Unlike the Grand where we felt like we were in Grand Central Station at rush hour.) But then we don't go to the buffet at prime times, eating everything later in the day and adjusting to a late dinner. We never had a problem finding a table in the buffet, a chair in the Atrium to flop into, etc. After the Grand, I swore I'd never go on a Grand class ship again but the Caribbean Princess was such a good experience that I'd do it again if the price were right. (That's after cruising the Mexican Riviera on the Sapphire Princess a couple of weeks ago and swearing off the Caribbean [not the ship] as a result.)

Hi Mike! I've been wondering where you went off to! We've been on Caribbean Princess 4 times and never had a problem with crowds (except for perhaps the theater -- but that was in December.) One of the reasons I was anxious to book the Crown was because we enjoy the CB so much.

So just book December 9th! We're a really fun group, and I know you'll have a great time -- wreck diving and all!

Marly

I really didn't notice any difference between Caribbean Princess and the other Grand-class ships where it comes to handling people. The places and times that the Grand Princess gets crowded are the same on CB, just the usual stuff like people trying to get breakfast in Horizon Court before going ashore, that sort of thing.

I know I should book. I guess I am still hesitant because I am still trying to get my knee fixed from the spill I took on the Zuiderdam back in October. My goal is to have a booking number in the next two weeks.

Mike

I answered a similar question a few days ago for someone else, so I'll just c/p that answer here:

There is quite a bit more seating in Horizon Court/Cafe Caribe and in the Palm Dining Room on Caribbean Princess than there is on the Grand-class equivalent rooms. The unbelievably-large video arcade that was on the Grand class is gone on CB, and all the photo services are moved to Promenade deck, so there is more deck seating on Caribbean Princess. The gym/spa area is larger on Caribbean Princess, as well. (I think Crown has even more spa/gym area, and more deck seating.)

The Princess Theaters are (I believe) the same size, and I don't know *what* they were thinking in converting the Vista Lounge to Club Fusion.

It's my least favorite ship in the fleet, but it's really not true that the public spaces are equivalent on both ships in spite of CB carrying 500 more passengers.

We are also going on Crown next year, and I'll c/p my comment about that as well:

I think the problem for experienced cruisers on CB is the combination of itinerary, itinerary length and size. Remove any of those factors, I think all bets are off.

I might not book CB again, but we had great service (the best DR service ever), and I didn't feel crowded -- and this was in the peak of the summer with a ship full of families.

We're going to try out Crown Princess this year, and I think the change in the itinerary will make a lot of difference.

Archived