Pre Alaska Rockies Road Trip

Newbury newbie

Looking for some advice for our road trip prior to our Alaska cruise next August. My provisional itinerary is set out below but rather than living out of the suitcases I was considering basing us in Banff for 4 nights with the idea of doing day trips to Lake Louise and Jasper (Icefield Parkway) from there.

Friday Night - Calgary Airport Hotel

Saturday – Drive to Banff

Sat/Sun Night – Banff Hotel

Monday – Drive to Lake Louise

Monday Night - Lake Louise Hotel

Tuesday – Drive to Jasper (Icefield Parkway)

Tuesday Night – Jasper Hotel

Wednesday – Drive to Kamloops

Wednesday Night - Kamloops Hotel

Thursday – Drive to Vancouver

Thu/Fri/Sat Night – Vancouver Hotel

Sunday – embark Eclipse

Any thoughts or advice?

We have just returned from a 9 night road trip in the Rockies. 1 night Calgary Airport Hotel to recover from from long haul flight. 3 nights Banff, 3 nights Jasper and 2 nights Lake Louise. Then returned car to Calgary and flew to Victoria in Vancouver Island for 3 nights. Finally Ferry back to Vancouver for 4 nights.

Loved Loved the Rockies and so sorry we did not have more time there and less in Vancouver. I would suggest 2 night Banff and you can easily travel to Lake Louise from there. It would not be possible to travel the Icefield Parkway from Banff. Day 3 start out at 8 to drive the Icefield Parkway from Banff it took us 9 hours to arrive in Jasper with all the pull off, walks and small hikes. It is the most beautiful drive in the world the scenery is specutular. We arranged to have a packed lunch with us and its so easy to find wonderful places to have a picnic. Then you can have 2 night in Jasper which we much preferred than Banff. In fact all the experts say you should drive the Icefield Parkway twice......in case you miss the scenery due to bad weather 1st time. We had stunning weather going up but on our return from Jasper to Lake Louise we had snow!! Which was beautiful but did impact on the scenery.

Enjoy your trip, happy planning and hope the above helps

If you are flying into Calgary from the UK, I'd strongly recommend against driving to Banff that day. Spend the day in Calgary and get a handle on your jet lag before heading to the mountains.

If you want to reduce the number of hotel changes a bit, consider spending 2 nights in Lake Louise. Drive to Banff from Calgary and spend the day exploring the town and surrounding area, then head to Lake Louise that evening (note sunset isn't until 9:00 pm ish). Spend the next day and night around Lake Louise, then drive the Parkway up to Jasper. Jasper is too far away from Banff to be done as a day trip, but it would be a shame to miss it, or the scenery along the way.

I agree with most of the advice above, but I don't think you need to plan for nights in both Banff and Lake Louise, unless you absolutely want to stay in both places. They're close enough that you can drive back and forth easily.

Rather than the Trans Canada between them, take the Bow Valley Pkwy. It's a bit slower but you have a better chance of seeing up wildlife (not sure what might be around in Aug though).

You could also stay in Canmore, which is still close to Banff, but a bit less expensive.

I prefer the drive through Golden to Revelstoke, then over to Kamloops, but you really can't go wrong.

PS do you know why they call it Banff? It's because you take a wad of cash with you, then Banff!!....it's gone. :D

We have driven through the Rockies several times in each direction. I agree that you do not really need to stay in Lake Louise and Banff, since they are close together. Banff is quite commercialized and busy in the summer.

My biggest tip would be to take your time and stop along the way. Peyto Lake is worth a short side trip as is Maligne Canyon. Kamloops is a convenient overnight stop, but I don't consider there is a need to spend much time there.