Queen Mary question

sjde

We have never sailed with Cunard and are thinking of doing a Road Scholar trip on the Queen Mary to Catalina Island. From what I understand , this ship mostly stays docked in Long Beach as a hotel. Would this be a good introduction for us to Cunard do you think?

We have never sailed with Cunard and are thinking of doing a Road Scholar trip on the Queen Mary to Catalina Island. From what I understand , this ship mostly stays docked in Long Beach as a hotel. Would this be a good introduction for us to Cunard do you think?

The original Queen Mary in Long Beach is not going anywhere. When you visit and tour the engineering spaces you can see one of the propellers through a cut in the hull - and some parts of the engines now have cut aways displaying their innards.

The docents are familiar with the ship's history from commissioning to its arrival in Long Beach.

I have not stayed on board, but I understand that the available hotel rooms are mostly former First Class staterooms - and no two are alike.

I had to google the "Road Scholar" program since I'm not familiar with it. Is this the trip you are asking about?

The R.M.S. Queen Mary and Catalina Island

As TheOldBear has indicated, the Queen Mary is permanently moored as a hotel in Long Beach. From what I am seeing on the itinerary for this program you would be staying two nights at the Queen Mary hotel and then you would be taking one of the Catalina Express boats to Catalina Island on day three after checking out of the Queen Mary hotel.

We have stayed at the Queen Mary hotel and found in to be an interesting experience, but I can assure you it is not really anything like an actual voyage on a Cunard vessel.

Having both sailed with Cunard (16 times) and having stayed at the Hotel Queen Mary, Long Beach, I feel comfortable talking about both as knowledgeable.

First, Hotel Queen Mary is just that a hotel aboard a former ship, now permanently moored in the Port of Long Beach. It is not run by, nor does it have any current connection to Cunard. It is run by a commercial hospitality company. The bars and restaurants are o.k. The food "standard".

As a historic reminder of the great days of Atlantic sailing it is interesting. As a hotel it can be compared to a three star hotel with some accommodation better than that.

Seeing the Long Beach Queen Mary and then traveling to Catalina Island, which is very interesting, would be a good adventure, though mostly on land.

Having said that, If you want to experience the real Cunard Queen Mary 2 experience, book a crossing and you will be truly happy you did.

Thanks for your responses.

I did some more checking, and it is the Queen Mary 2 we'd be taking to Catalina Island.

Perhaps you are mistaking the Queen Mary and Catalina Island tour with several other Road Scholar tours that involve Transatlantic Crossings on Queen Mary 2. For example, on the Road Scholar web site, I am seeing these eight other 13-day and 14-day programs that combine a 7-day Transatlantic Crossing from New York to Southampton on Queen Mary 2 with additional activities.

Inside the British Monarchy: A Transatlantic Crossing on the QM2

The Art of the Whodunit: English Murder Mysteries on the QM2

Best of London Theatre on Queen Mary 2

Into the London Arts Scene: A Gay Perspective on Queen Mary 2

The Spying Game from the Cambridge Five to the Cold War: A Queen Mary 2 Voyage

The Real Princess: A Look Inside Diana’s Life Aboard Queen Mary 2

Transatlantic Art Adventure: NYC to London on Queen Mary 2

Churchill’s Finest Hour: A Transatlantic Voyage on the QM2