few more basic questions - QE - winter sailing

mef_57

I read though the VP documents and tips today, but I am left with a few more questions or clarifications.

1. do inside rooms have tea/coffee making supplies? I see photos with this, but YouTube videos don't show them.

2. Pool - heated? Southampton - Canary Islands. Is the pool swimmable?

3. Bringing flowers or food from shore - allowed? I realize that packaged and sealed items are fine, it is fresh flowers or the remnants of that local specialty to eat in the midnight hours that I am wondering about.

4. Liquor. I read the 1 bottle of wine and now understand corkage fee is just if drunk in public, but some posts here state number of bottles is lax. Is the 1 bottle of wine allowed every port, or just at embarkation? Also, is hard liquor allowed to be brought on board?

Yes, I am frugal and have to stretch my travel budget for this trip :), but I won't whine about prices, as compared to US cruise lines, the on board costs on Cunard are quite reasonable. (and as a Canadian, I sympathize with cruising with a weak currency).

thanks.

1. Yes, they do, right on your writing desk.

2. The outside pool has been swimmable on QM2 in January, but there are rumors that they have lowered the temperatures of the whirlpools. I think you should be fine as soon as you pass Cape Finisterre, on Day 2.

3. I never attempted to bring flowers, they don't do bag searches for food. Anyhow, bringing food to a cruise ship is a lot like dragging a fridge to the South Pole.

4. You will be very much encouraged by the port lecturer to buy a bottle of Madeira and bring it on board. In general Cunard does not enforce any limitations on alcohol. Nevertheless you use common sense, otherwise they will.

We have brought flowers on board with no problem.

Like Gill, we have also brought flowers on board. We were given them by a taxi driver in Madeira whom we had hired for the day.

Bring as much wines and spirits on board as you can carry. We always take at least 6 x champagne. You can top up as you go.

For the last 2 years we've been to Madeira/Canaries in winter and will be there again starting 1 November this year (and 20 October next year). Good time to go!

Have fun.

Stewart

Lovely. Thanks all, for the replies.

I am afraid I would be humming 'Have Some Maderia, M'dear' through any Maderia presentation, but will endeavour to keep it an internal hum....and will keep bottle numbers to an conspicuous number.

it is fresh flowers or the remnants of that local specialty to eat in the midnight hours that I am wondering about.

Just curious, what do the flowers taste like?

A few calendula petals and a nasturtium or two would add a little piquant tang to an otherwise bland cheese bocadillo...and for a little sweetness or aroma, a violet bloom or two will do the trick.....

The tea kettles in the rooms were just added in the past couple of years which why you don't see them in many videos at this point.

Hi,

Yes, I cruised aboard the Queen Victoria in the Mediterranean last week. In my stateroom (a standard balcony cabin), the tea kettle was located in the space where the television formerly was placed. The television has been moved to the wall.

Chuck

• 1 month later...