Travel time vs excursion time to Chichen Itza

We want to book the Chichen Itza excursion through RC but the information from the website is confusing! Go figure, right?

Here’s our problem.Excursion listed as 6 hr long. But further down it is stated “tour duration includes approximately 6 hours travel time.” Does that mean we can expect to be n this tour for 7 - 8 hrs?

The very next line states states, “The ferry to & from Playa del Carmen takes about 45 minutes each way.” Is that in ADDITION to the previously stated travel time? [emoji33]

Anyone who has done this tour please help us out! And I know we could book through ind. tour co.s, but we only book through RC.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Assuming you are docking at Cozumel because you mention the ferry, I would not do this excursion because of the travel time and the likelihood of getting sick on the ferry. I'd put this off until I could do this on a land vacation.

As I recall the bus trip from Playa Del Carmen to Chichen Itza is about 2 hours each way. You get about 45 minutes at the site.

So, the total time to and from your ship is about 6 hours.

Had I realized most of your tour is traveling, I would have chosen a different tour.

We did this tour, primarily because seeing Chichen Itza was on my bucket list and the chances we'll ever do a land vacation to Mexico are slim. That being said, while I'm glad we did it, I wouldn't do it again. You spend most of the day in transport. Your actual time at the ruins is not that long - enough to do a good walk through, get some amazing photos, and a bit of souvenir shopping. If you really want to see the ruins (and I do highly recommend it if you're into that sort of thing, as we are), a cruise ship excursion is not the best way to go.

• Like 1

We visited Chicken Itza from Cozumel, but we flew there in a small plane. The flight was only 45 minutes . We got an aerial tour around site, a long private tour of the site before the tour buses arrived, and we back by mid afternoon.

More expensive but well worth it.

• Like 1

As noted above there are private companies that will fly you from Cozumel so you have a lot more time at the ruins. I thought I saw $350 or so a person.

Or, if you are REALLY into seeing Chitzen Itza . . .there is an excursion on Royal's web page where they take you from Mahaual to C.I. the day before, you spend the night there, go to the ruins the next morning so you get a lot more time there and then go back to the ship at Cozumel. I think its $650 or so a person. Not my way to spend a cruise vacation but to each his own . . .

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
On 10/8/2018 at 11:58 AM, DirtyDawg said:

We visited Chicken Itza from Cozumel, but we flew there in a small plane. The flight was only 45 minutes . We got an aerial tour around site, a long private tour of the site before the tour buses arrived, and we back by mid afternoon.

More expensive but well worth it.

OK, which excursion company and tour was it?  How much is "expensive"?

14 hours ago, ndabunka said:

OK, which excursion company and tour was it?  How much is "expensive"?

I think it was This is Cozumel tour company and it was around $U.S 400 per person for 4 people in the plane.