Sapphire Princess - Vietnam visa - Asia cruise

mishfromva

Just now, leck57 said:

There was a thread a few weeks ago that the sites that referred to the $5US for the Vietnam visa were not authentic. You may have your facts wrong in that case. You should try and find the previous thread and see if your claims are,in fact, correct.  

I replied to that thread as well. 

I have emailed Celebrity and they are charging $6 at the present time. The reason for the confusion is that Vietnam has changed their fees over the years, but RCL as kept in line with what Vietnam is charging.

kari

17 minutes ago, TheRabbit said:

Not sure if you are going to China on your trip, but the Visa for China was $140 and you had to go to the consulate and wait twice. Once for turning in your passport and application (yes, they take and hold your passport for 3 to 4 days for processing) and another time for picking it up. You can avoid the wait by paying $100 extra each ($240 total) to an agency that will do the foot work for you. Makes the $34 look like a bargain!

But, we all know that China has a visa requirement and it is good for ten years. Vietnam has a visa requirement as well. All I am asking is for Princess to be fair.

3 minutes ago, karioncruising said:

But, we all know that China has a visa requirement and it is good for ten years. Vietnam has a visa requirement as well. All I am asking is for Princess to be fair.

Just looked on line and the single entry is $25 and Multiple entry is $50 now. Looks like you can do it on line and save. Watch time frames as these might be 30 day Visas.

Edited by TheRabbit

4 minutes ago, karioncruising said:

I replied to that thread as well. 

I have emailed Celebrity and they are charging $6 at the present time. The reason for the confusion is that Vietnam has changed their fees over the years, but RCL as kept in line with what Vietnam is charging.

kari

Interesting, and I see you have commented on the other thread. That other thread also refers to the "supposed" Vietnam Govt advice and quotes a Government person who had left office some time earlier.

On face value it is concerning IF other lines are charging $5 and Princess $56, so I'll be interested in later comments and also the response you get back from Princess. I have  Feb cruise that has a one day stop in Vietnam and I am interested in this matter. 

2 minutes ago, leck57 said:

Interesting, and I see you have commented on the other thread. That other thread also refers to the "supposed" Vietnam Govt advice and quotes a Government person who had left office some time earlier.

On face value it is concerning IF other lines are charging $5 and Princess $56, so I'll be interested in later comments and also the response you get back from Princess. I have  Feb cruise that has a one day stop in Vietnam and I am interested in this matter. 

Hello again,

I emailed Celebrity and they told me $6. 

Princess has so far refused to budge. Although, one rep said she wants proof that Celebrity charges $6. I forwarded the email from Celebrity to her.

You should start emailing Princess. They actually phoned me about this and told me it would be $56.

2 hours ago, karioncruising said:

Princess will be charging $56 USD per person. And if you are making more than one non-consecutive stop (as in the 22 day cruise in December) then you have to pay twice.

kari

That's not true.  They say $56 but usually charge less.  We have had confirmation that someone on a recent Princess cruise that he was charged $30.  For that amount it certainly is easier to let Princess do it.  That is less than charged on those 'cheapy' sites.

20 minutes ago, LBSKI said:

That's not true.  They say $56 but usually charge less.  We have had confirmation that someone on a recent Princess cruise that he was charged $30.  For that amount it certainly is easier to let Princess do it.  That is less than charged on those 'cheapy' sites.

I hope you are right. Then Princess should stop telling us $56. Everyone on the phone and email say $56. 

43 minutes ago, karioncruising said:

I hope you are right. Then Princess should stop telling us $56. Everyone on the phone and email say $56. 

My understanding is that Vietnam changes things at the drop of a hat so Princess quotes a higher price just in case they should suddenly have to pay more.

I'm going to file this under things not worth worrying about. My documents from Princess for my January, 2020 cruise state the charge will be $56 per person for the Vietnam visa, that is the amount I am prepared to pay. If it is less, then it's lagniappe. Whether the Vietnam visa is charged at $5, $30, or $56, it is a nominal amount in the overall vacation cost which will most likely exceed $15,000. 

2 hours ago, terry&mike said:

I'm going to file this under things not worth worrying about. My documents from Princess for my January, 2020 cruise state the charge will be $56 per person for the Vietnam visa, that is the amount I am prepared to pay. If it is less, then it's lagniappe. Whether the Vietnam visa is charged at $5, $30, or $56, it is a nominal amount in the overall vacation cost which will most likely exceed $15,000. 

I certainly don't mind paying $56 if that is what it costs,.but when their competitors are charging the going rate plus $1 for processing then I will not sit back and say nothing. Especially, since we will have to pay this fee twice per person for stopping in Vietnam two times at non consecutive times. I just want to let everyone know that this is happening. 

On 10/22/2018 at 1:25 PM, Bill B said:

I live in Vietnam; and can tell you the only thing constant about visas is change... all is flux. 

Anything you read about visas for past cruises is anecdotal - it may or may not apply by this December. The links above in mishfromva's and LBSKY's posts, stating a cruise ship pax visa is $5, is to an article published on Jan. 14, 2015.

While I cannot speak for Princess, I think what they do is set a price - $56 - based on a worst case scenario (HAL is currently quoting $63) so as to not have pax ending up with 'visa shock'. The lines quite literally don't know what it's going to cost by the time the ship gets there... and neither do the Vietnamese.

It is quite likely the charge will end up being much less than what they are quoting. This has been my experience on past cruises and is backed up by Expat Cruise's experience.

In the past, unless one needs a visa for pre or post-cruise travel, the easiest and least expensive way to obtain a visa/landing clearance is to let the cruise line handle it.... of course, this is anecdotal. 

Thanks for this info. I have friends living in Vietnam and yes the overland 30 day visa does change in price, but has the loose leaf visa for cruise ship passengers changed. There are many old posts dating back to 2015 on cruise critic from Celebrity and RCL passengers that state they paid $6. I haven't found one from a Princess passenger. Princess could state that we will be charged between $20 to $56 depending on the going rate for the visa at the time. 

16 minutes ago, karioncruising said:

I certainly don't mind paying $56 if that is what it costs,.but when their competitors are charging the going rate plus $1 for processing then I will not sit back and say nothing. Especially, since we will have to pay this fee twice per person for stopping in Vietnam two times at non consecutive times. I just want to let everyone know that this is happening. 

As a business, they can charge whatever they like for the services and products. As consumers, we can pay it or buy from another operator. This is true with every aspect of the booking from the cabin costs, to the beverages on board, to the tours through the ship or from local operators. There is no set cost for any item that must be adhered to across the board. 

I don't think the cost of the visa is a secret, I was aware of the cost charged before booking the trip. There are 21 people currently booked to travel with me, they are aware. 

We all have choices in this. I can get the visa myself, I can allow the cruise line to handle it. I can sail with another cruise line, I can sail with Princess. 

It's a non-issue for me, and a small amount of money in the overall picture, and I'm happy to have someone else take care of the process. I've obtained visas myself several times in the past, and will easily give up this chore for a small fee.

If it's an issue for you, why try to swim upstream? Just move on to another cruise, another cruise line, or handle the visa yourself. 

5 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We were in Vietnam the end of October on the Coral.  Princess charged our account $32 or $34/pp for the landing card for the three ports we visited.  We had been told it would be $56/pp, so we were pleasantly surprised.

Thanks so much for this information. It will be interesting to see what the Diamond Princess charges. Especially, since we are doing multiple entry. 

20 hours ago, karioncruising said:

Be aware that Princess cruise lines is still ripping off their passengers and charging $56 USD for the Vietnam loose leaf visa. The Vietnamese government is currently charging $5USD as a group rate to cruise ship passengers. This could change of course, but I have written to Celebrity and they have been charging $6 USD per person for quite awhile. Numerous posts also state that RCL charges $6 USD. Please write customerrelations@princesscruises.com to complain about this outrageous overcharge. 

On top of all this, did you know you have to pay the $56 twice if you visit Vietnam twice unconsecutively. 

Kari

Sorry for quoting myself but it seems that cruise critic has moved my comments under the Sapphire Princess thread. Do you think it is due to the fact that I put Princess Vietnam Visa rip off in the heading.?

Sorry if you have read this before, but it seems that cruise critic has moved my previous post to be under the heading of Sapphire Princess Vietnam visa. I just want to bring this to everyone's attention. 

Be aware that Princess cruise lines may still be overcharging their passengers and charging $56 USD for the Vietnam loose leaf visa. The Vietnamese government is currently charging $5USD as a group rate to cruise ship passengers. This could change of course, but I have written to Celebrity and they have been charging $6 USD per person for quite awhile. Numerous posts also state that RCL charges $6 USD. 

Please write customerrelations@princesscruises.com to request a decrease in the fees to be more in line with their competitors. 

I think this is outrageous  to have to pay $112 for the two of us verses $10 if would be allowed to get off the ship to get the visas. I don't understand why they have to up the charges so much especially if other cruise lines don't!!!!

it is what it is. one fellow from my sailing decided to get his own via the embassy instead of through the cruise line. it cost him 79 dollars each plus postage fees.

if you don't like how princess handles it, get your own in advance.

4 hours ago, nask said:

I think this is outrageous  to have to pay $112 for the two of us verses $10 if would be allowed to get off the ship to get the visas. I don't understand why they have to up the charges so much especially if other cruise lines don't!!!!

Not only $112 ..it will end up being double that for the two non consecutive visits on the 22 day cruise. That will be $200 more than what Princess will have to pay to the Vietnam authorities. I doubt that they will let us get our own visas when we arrive in Nha Trang. 

Kari

On 10/21/2018 at 10:39 PM, Expat Cruise said:

Have been on two Princess Cruises this year  with port stops in Vietnam, both times  July & October Princess charged me US Passport $30.00 for visa.  My wife presented her Philippines Passport and the visa fee was zero. I have heard these numbers quoted 56.00 by never know anyone charged this amount in USD.  In AUD dollars yes the fee is higher and charged at AU$56.00 but never talked to a passenger charged* US$56.00 for the visa.

*Charged means added to your ship account and paid..... I know Princess says US $56.00 but what they say and do seem to be two different things.

Thanks for this info. I hope we are only charged $30 on the Diamond Princess.

18 minutes ago, Seadog & Sea Hag said:

It is what it is. You pay it or you don’t go, easy 

That's true but it doesn't hurt to voice your opinion and if enough people did then maybe Princess wouldn't charge so much. Its called the Might Of The Media. 

I have sent an email the Princess outlining my concerns.

As a platinum member and booked on the 18 Feb 2019 cruise I am both disappointed and annoyed that Princess Cruises are going to rip off their passengers for a visa when we arrive in Vietnam $56 pp. This is total obscene considering Vietnam only charges $5 pp for cruise companies ship passengers.  Also other cruise ships only charge $5 pp.
After being and loyal Princess Cruiser (and our possible next  booking Panama Canal we will be Elite) I am now starting to think other cruise lines maybe the way to go.

Come on Princess be honest with your customers and then we will continue to support you in the future.
Looking forward to your loyal support with this issue.

1 minute ago, harfield said:

That's true but it doesn't hurt to voice your opinion and if enough people did then maybe Princess wouldn't charge so much. Its called the Might Of The Media. 

I have sent an email the Princess outlining my concerns.

As a platinum member and booked on the 18 Feb 2019 cruise I am both disappointed and annoyed that Princess Cruises are going to rip off their passengers for a visa when we arrive in Vietnam $56 pp. This is total obscene considering Vietnam only charges $5 pp for cruise companies ship passengers.  Also other cruise ships only charge $5 pp.
After being and loyal Princess Cruiser (and our possible next  booking Panama Canal we will be Elite) I am now starting to think other cruise lines maybe the way to go.

Come on Princess be honest with your customers and then we will continue to support you in the future.
Looking forward to your loyal support with this issue.

I seem to recall it all being explained in a previous post and Princess aren’t ripping off anyone at all.