La Paraguera snorkel or Caja De Muertos In Ponce, PR

Sailing on the Serenade in February and visiting Ponce, PR for the first time and would like to get in the water, so we are looking at the Paraguera snorkeling tour or the Caja De Muertos island getaway. I haven't been able to find any information so please help if you have done either excursion.

9 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

Go to ports of call section, Caribbean, then Puerto Rico. There will be more info there.I heard Ponce was really beautiful.

I did look under the San Juan, PR thread and I couldn't find any information that is why I was asking here. I know that Ponce is visited very little so I was hoping that might find someone who had done one of the two through RC.

I think this is only the 2nd or 3rd time ever that RCI has had a ship stop in Ponce- we've seen Holland there once or twice when visiting Ponce in the past.  There may be one or two people here who have been there on an RCI ship.

As for the two spots- I assume that the trip to LaParguera is a tiny island that we've called Gilligans Island, just off the coast there.  It's nice, and some neat snorkeling, but not the best we've seen in Puerto Rico- that would be out on Culebra.  Assuming the island is still roughly the same, you can swim up and down some channels between mangroves.  

Caja de Muertos is more of a hang out island place.  We went once, and spent some time wandering the island, taking the hike to the top of the mountain.  It's really isolated, so we had to take our own lunch out there- I assume they would feed you on the trip. 

Both are good options if you just want to be in or near the water.  Just depends on if you want to snorkel or not.

There are a handful of other things to do, but Ponce is far less a tourist city than San Juan is.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2018 at 12:22 PM, lonestarmikeb said:

I did look under the San Juan, PR thread and I couldn't find any information that is why I was asking here. I know that Ponce is visited very little so I was hoping that might find someone who had done one of the two through RC.

If you go back a few pages, there might me something from late 2017/early 2018.  My daughter did a mission trip to Ponce in March and I recall posting on a thread and someone local to the area posting links of things to do.  Hope that helps.

1 hour ago, pacruise804 said:

If you go back a few pages, there might me something from late 2017/early 2018.  My daughter did a mission trip to Ponce in March and I recall posting on a thread and someone local to the area posting links of things to do.  Hope that helps.

I will check it out, thank you for the information.