Drinking age

Nadersmom

I tried searching the forum but for some reason I'm just not getting it to work very well for me.    Could someone please remind me of the age restrictions for drinking on the ship?    I know in port it will be 21.    I had thought it was 18 in international waters but we've never had a reason to know for certain until next year's cruise.

Is it 21 on the ship regardless of whether you are docked or at sea?

Many thanks for some input.

AGE RESTRICTIONS ON BOARD

Drinking Alcoholic Beverages / Cigarette Smoking

• Guests must be 21 years of age or older to be served alcohol on board. Proper I.D with birth date is required. 
  • Guests must be 18 years of age or older to smoke and purchase cigarettes.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1061/kw/minor alcohol

20 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

It is 21 while on a Carnival ship, on a cruise that leaves from and returns to a US port, whether you are at a port or at sea.

The age at ports varies according to the laws of the country you are visiting.

really? the islands have drinking laws? I thought if you had money and could reach the bar, good enough. I believe the drinking age in Mexico is puberty. I can't wait for all the copy and pasters to post actual laws, which no one follows

3 minutes ago, coevan said:

really? the islands have drinking laws? I thought if you had money and could reach the bar, good enough. I believe the drinking age in Mexico is puberty. I can't wait for all the copy and pasters to post actual laws, which no one follows

You rarely fail to give me a good laugh.

Maybe the ports merely have drinking age suggestions.

36 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

You are quite welcome.  It's always a good thing to ask questions prior to laying your money down.

I hope you have a great cruise.

Thank you so much :classic_biggrin:   We have a year to wait, but already looking forward to it.  

5 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

You rarely fail to give me a good laugh.

Maybe the ports merely have drinking age suggestions.

Thank you, some people take my sarcasm as snarky, not true. Like someone just posted they work voluntarily to pay for their cruise. I'm just an old journalism major who loves playing with words. 

If you are going to the Caribbean the above comment is correct. In some countries is you can reach the bar you can drink. We were in Curacao on an island tour and had about 10 kids with us,  middle & elementary school.  The parents were talking and the kids got in line. next thing we know is they all were saying that was good, can we have more? they all slept well that night! But seriously we have taught our kids to drink responsibly so when they get/got to college they wouldn't go crazy. When in the islands 18 can drink legally on most but they will serve younger.

5 minutes ago, audcc77 said:

Middle and elementary school?

Research shows that people who start drinking before the age of 15 are 4 times more likely to meet the criteria for alcohol dependence at some point in their lives.

It was a little taste! But it was just to make a point that most Countries don't care about age with drinking. It's very interesting that you say 15. My son just spent a semester abroad (London) and in most of the Countries that he visited the drinking age is 15 for beer and wine. Some don't even have drinking ages. On US leaving NCL ships parents can sign a waiver for 18 year olds to drink beer & wine onboard. While if you sail out of Europe I wonder what the policy is? And no my kids do not have drinking problems and neither do we and yes I do know what my kids are doing and who their friends are. We show by example and drink socially with a drink here and there and have taught are kids the same. Some times it's how you teach them that makes a difference.