Fun Shops Snorkel Set?

Beav1279

The Fun Shops on Carnival's website have an Adult Snorkel Set (mask, snorkel, and fins) for about $30. This is a great price! Is it too good to be true? Anyone purchase it? Was it decent quality? I've seen similar sets at Target, Walmart, etc.. but they run $40 and up. Thanks in advance!!

2 hours ago, Beav1279 said:

The Fun Shops on Carnival's website have an Adult Snorkel Set (mask, snorkel, and fins) for about $30. This is a great price! Is it too good to be true? Anyone purchase it? Was it decent quality? I've seen similar sets at Target, Walmart, etc.. but they run $40 and up. Thanks in advance!!

Checked it out and that is a good price, considering you get a dry snorkel, mask and fins. 

Edited by LuckyStar

4 hours ago, LuckyStar said:

Checked it out and that is a good price, considering you get a dry snorkel, mask and fins. 

I think the OP wants to know of it is a "quality" item at that price, functional, or is it more like a kid's novelty item?

It may be fine.  Some people don't like the black rubber around the mask & prefer the clear silicone.  If you book an excursion, they will provide all your gear.  Of course, they are usually just standard snorkels & the black rubber mask seal.  Plus some folks are squeamish about using something that someone else has had in their mouth.  If you are planning to use it on a beach day when you don't have an excursion booked, I could see purchasing the set.  Did it say whether it came with a carrying bag?  If not, you may want to take an extra string backpack to carry them back & forth to the ship.  My only hesitation would be knowing what size would fit my face.  When we bought my scuba mask, I tried on what seemed like a million before I found a really good fit.  At that time, my face was too narrow for a lot of them to seal well.  Now that I have a little more meat on my bones, I seem to have better luck, but still occasionally have to go through several to find one that fits well.  I just hate snorkeling & diving with a leaky mask.

16 hours ago, BENHANDEL said:

I think the OP wants to know of it is a "quality" item at that price, functional, or is it more like a kid's novelty item?

I ordered mine from Ebay about 10 years ago.  I wanted a high quality snorkel after we snorkeled the first time because we just fell in love with snorkeling.  I paid about $20 for my dry snorkel at the time.  It kind of depends on if you are serious snorkeler.  Some people don't care if it's high quality, they just want a good price.  If I were a first time snorkeler, this is a good price.  BUT also if you are first time snorkeler and don't know if you will do it again, most operators will provide a cheap snorkel for your use.  I would contact the operator for confirmation of this.  But this is not a snorkel that I would buy. HTH.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2018 at 1:45 PM, LuckyStar said:

I ordered mine from Ebay about 10 years ago.  I wanted a high quality snorkel after we snorkeled the first time because we just fell in love with snorkeling.  I paid about $20 for my dry snorkel at the time.  It kind of depends on if you are serious snorkeler.  Some people don't care if it's high quality, they just want a good price.  If I were a first time snorkeler, this is a good price.  BUT also if you are first time snorkeler and don't know if you will do it again, most operators will provide a cheap snorkel for your use.  I would contact the operator for confirmation of this.  But this is not a snorkel that I would buy. HTH.

Thank you. We will be snorkeling in Grand Cayman. I know they provide equipment. However, sharing someone else's spit germs, not well sanitized, kind of creeps me out.

18 hours ago, Pr1612 said:

they also sell a cool 360 type mask as well 

Be careful with the full face snorkel masks. They have had problems with them clearing carbon dioxide because you exhale into the same area from which you breath in oxygen. I’m not saying they are bad for everyone...just that there have been reports of people having problems with that aspect of how they function.

20 hours ago, BENHANDEL said:

Thank you. We will be snorkeling in Grand Cayman. I know they provide equipment. However, sharing someone else's spit germs, not well sanitized, kind of creeps me out.

We were in Grand Cayman on a land trip a year or so ago and the equipment provided on our excursion was awful.  Most excursions will give you cheap snorkel in a package.  This operator had all these used snorkels in a big barrel of watery fluid.  Could have been water, could have been cleaner.  It grossed me out.  I will never snorkel in Cayman without my own equipment.  I assume that this operator was indicative of most of them.  I could be wrong.  But I'm with you about the germs. 

• Like 1

On 10/21/2018 at 2:03 PM, Beav1279 said:

When is your cruise.

9 hours ago, FijiFlip said:

Be careful with the full face snorkel masks. They have had problems with them clearing carbon dioxide because you exhale into the same area from which you breath in oxygen. I’m not saying they are bad for everyone...just that there have been reports of people having problems with that aspect of how they function.

I didnt buy one just thought it looked cool. I did do a tour in barbados where a couple had purchased it from the pixel store 

12 hours ago, FijiFlip said:

I think there has been one possibly-related fatality in Hawaii.    The full-face snorkel masks DO have other limitatons:  you can't eqaalize pressure through your nose, they are very high-volume and buoyant, and they really squeeze your face if you dive below 3 or 4 feet.    

They had a BOGO half-off deal on them aboard the Magic two weeks ago.   Must have been at least 20 of them -- mostly in kids' hands -- that appeared in the pools -- and the hot tubs -- on the ship.   😮  

My husband and I are intermediate snorkelers - it's been awhile since we've been and our old gear is.. well, old. I agree that we might want to try on masks before we buy - we both have wider faces, so we want our masks to be comfortable. Thank y'all for the advice! If anyone has experience with the Fun Shops set, let me know!

• Like 2