OBC for optional tours?

moatenote

I'm getting lots of conflicting info about being able to use OBC before getting on the ship to pay for optional tours.  Our TA will give OBC soon after we make the final payment to Viking, and we'd like to use that OBC to pay for optional tours that we book before boarding.  We're in a PV2 cabin and the date for us to be able to book tours (both included and optional) is about 77 days before the cruise starts.  Friends have told me they were able to use OBC for this purpose, but when I wrote to Tellus@vikingcruises.com, they responded that OBC can not be used this way, that it is strictly for stuff while onboard.  My head is starting to spin!!!

Depends on the type of OBC I believe. If it shows up on your myvikingjournal.com webpage account you can use it to pay for excursions. If it is treated like an onboard gift then you will not be able to use that money until after boarding. Remember both types of OBC can be used for your gratuities bill and drinks onboard. 

Somebody might be able to explain it better than I just did.

Jeffrey

2 hours ago, moatenote said:

I'm getting lots of conflicting info about being able to use OBC before getting on the ship to pay for optional tours.  Our TA will give OBC soon after we make the final payment to Viking, and we'd like to use that OBC to pay for optional tours that we book before boarding.  We're in a PV2 cabin and the date for us to be able to book tours (both included and optional) is about 77 days before the cruise starts.  Friends have told me they were able to use OBC for this purpose, but when I wrote to Tellus@vikingcruises.com, they responded that OBC can not be used this way, that it is strictly for stuff while onboard.  My head is starting to spin!!!

Well, marked me confused. That is really not the kind of answer that I expected from them. I expected something more along the lines of well yes, not all OBC is alike and from looking at your account, I can see that what you have is this variety and....  Maybe a nice phone conversation is in order (if they are willing to talk with you and not your TA)?

Here's the latest response from Viking about using OBC from a TA to book optional tours ahead of time.  Nope, nada, aint gonna happen, etc.  It's a bit tricky.   " Sometimes credit is offered as an amenity with some Viking promotions, or from contract benefits that Viking has with some TA's,  which allows guests to purchase shore excursions and other services ahead of time through their MVJ accounts.  However, if you acquire OBC as a gift from your TA, it can only be used on board."  

<sigh>   come on, Viking, change your policy!!!