Gibraltar

It's a 20 minute walk to Main Street. There are mini buses waiting just outside the port if you want to do a tour. Well worth the 30 pounds per person charge. We walked up Main Street to the Trafalgar cemetery and took a tour from there at the same price. Good value when you take into account that the cable car us 15 pounds and only takes you to one point.

On 10/25/2018 at 6:01 AM, KOPITE 96 said:

Thankyou both for that information 

HI  if you have time its a must to take a tour to see the Apes and the tunnels so much history up there, we took a mini bus so much easier and the views are brilliant, PS dont walk around with a ice cream in your hand or the apes might think its feeding time enjoy.

If you've done the Tunnels, Cable Car and explored the town etc and want somewhere pleasant to relax and have a drink, the relatively newly developed Marina is a nice option.  It's called Ocean Village, has an interesting ship-shaped hotel, attractive cafes and restaurants on pontoon-like structures, lots of greenery around and is just a nice place to sit for a while.  It's at the top of the road you walk along to get to the town centre and on the left.  It is signposted as I remember.  

Edited by kruzseeka

4 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

If you've done the Tunnels, Cable Car and explored the town etc and want somewhere pleasant to relax and have a drink, the relatively newly developed Marina is a nice option.  It's called Ocean Village, has an interesting ship-shaped hotel, attractive cafes and restaurants on pontoon-like structures, lots of greenery around and is just a nice place to sit for a  .  It's at the top of the road you walk along to get to the town centre and on the left.  It is signposted as I remember.  

Hi Kruzseeka

how was  your cruise on Discovery was it up to expectations  and to your liking , i believe the northern lights were hard to find, over all was it an enjoyable cruise would love to hear your thought,s on the ship.

48 minutes ago, so,ton saint said:

Hi Kruzseeka

how was  your cruise on Discovery was it up to expectations  and to your liking , i believe the northern lights were hard to find, over all was it an enjoyable cruise would love to hear your thought,s on the ship.

Hi So,ton saint.  Thanks for asking - we had a great time.  We did see the Lights on four consecutive nights!  We couldn't believe our luck and on one night in particular it was very extensive and impressive, although with the naked eye, only white.  With camera lenses the greens were apparent.   We absolutely love Norway though so the itinerary was a winner for us.

It's a few years since we did Thomson (Marella) but we were soon reminded of their strengths; the atmosphere on board, the fabulous crew and fantastic entertainment.  11 shows from the showteam in 14 nights so far exceeds what we see on other cruise lines that they're in a league of their own!  The quality of the showteam and musicians was also better than on many ships.

The ship was lovely except imo not really suited to Northern Climes. Large double sliding doors opening onto the promenade deck but adjacent to the Atrium made this area very cold.  Not unusual to see folk with outdoor coats sitting in there. Given it was too cold really for sitting outside there was a lot of pressure on internal seating areas.  We missed having a dedicated Horizons/Crow's Nest style lounge bar on a high deck.  Bar Eleven doesn't really provide that type of area which has very little space with comfy seats. But in the Caribbean or in its winter ports it would be quite different and not be a problem. 

The dining room with double height windows is beautiful and came into its own sailing down the Fjords. I liked the Glasshouse /indoor pool area too and it's a lovely theatre so lots of positives. We'd certainly go again.

Sorry to go off topic but I know you are interested to know my impressions.  Where are you off to next?

Edited by kruzseeka

Hi Kruzseeka

having been twice on Discovery both in the Caribbean and enjoying the climate like we do, am going back again and joining Explorer in march . once again enjoying those lovely little islands and the sunshine, also waiting for winter 2019-20 especially on Discovery -2 with those new itinerary,s from Jamaica, how about you.

Looking!!!  😁😁😁 Have a great time in the Caribbean - one of our favourite destinations too. I'd like to give Discovery a try too. Think it may have more alternative lounge areas. Must get the brochures out! 😉

Edited by kruzseeka

19 minutes ago, Vitalsign said:

Yes Kruzeeka do try Discovery it's a lovely ship It's time you came back to Thomson/Marella we've missed your posts

😊  Thank you.  I certainly appreciated the strong emotional pull of Marella after a break.  It's certainly a big plus so we are definitely 'looking' at doing another.

8 hours ago, davecttr said:

Take a look at Explorer, it has a large Crows nest style lounge bar in Indigo on deck 12 forward with double height windows and a substantial  adjacent outside deck above the bridge, no seats out there though

Thanks dave, we'd like that.  Much as we liked Discovery and used the Venue and Live Room after going to the theatre, there were times when a quiet, piano style lounge would have been good.  We did a cruise in the Fjords last year with an itinerary slightly different from most - it sailed down to Hellesylt during the daytime, stopping overnight and going into Geiranger next day.  It was fab sailing down in the daytime.  I can tell you, the Crow's Nest came into its own!  I thought the deck plan of Explorer seemed to have such an area.  Thanks for the confirmation. I'll look at the itineraries.