The upgrade fairy called. We declined. Not sure why they called us to begin with

jeff92k7

So after years of cruising, the magical upgrade fairy finally called and left a message saying to call back soon for the time limited offer.  The message referred to a specific sailing we have booked for next year (we have more than one).   The problem was that we have two bookings on that cruise - one for my wife and myself, and one for our 3 kids.  The fairy didn't bother to say which booking she was calling about.

So I called back later in the day.  I knew we weren't going to take any offer because we specifically booked this cruise for the availability of certain cabins... but I was still curious.  I assumed that the upgrade offer had to be for the booking with my wife and myself, but no luck.  They couldn't find any upgrade offer for our cabin (surprising since we figured someone wanted our cabin and that's what triggered the fairy's call).   I had them look up the kids booking and sure enough, that one had the upgrade offer.  I don't even know what the price would have been because she looked at it and said it was to a junior suite (from our kid's interior), but then she immediately noted that due to the kids' age, they couldn't be in any cabin but the one we already had booked (which we knew... again, going back to booking that cruise for specific cabins).   

So my wife and I were talking about it later and trying to figure out what in the world triggered the upgrade phone call.  We assumed that maybe they were running out of interiors on that deck and wanted ours free, but a mock booking online shows only one other interior even booked on that deck.  We thought that maybe they weren't selling enough of the junior suites, but again, a mock booking showed over half of them on that deck already booked.  So we were at a complete loss as to why they even called us... they didn't need the cabin we have booked, they aren't having trouble booking the suites, and they didn't even bother to look at our existing booking to know that our kids couldn't move to a different cabin away from us anyway.  The best I can figure is that the upgrade fairy is totally and completely random, computer generated, and the agents actually have no idea why upgrades are offered to those that get them.

I guarantee there was a reason behind the upsell offer and it wasn’t totally random. Keep in mind when you are booking online you don’t always see every cabin that is still available for booking.  Based on the limited information in your post, there are still a lot of junior suites available and maybe they are trying to book more of this cabin type. Without having access to all the information available to Carnival employees, there really isn’t a way you can determine with certainty the reason for an upsell offer.

Just a guess but more than likely the junior suites aren't selling as well as they would like so they offer an upsell.   Lately, the price offered for the junior suites upsell is only about $60 cheaper than what you could have booked it originally.

The ONLY time we received an upgrade call was 5-minutes AFTER we had checked in on our Sunshine cruise back in April. For an additional $350, they would have moved us from an inside cabin to an unknown balcony cabin. We turned it down for 2 reasons...(1) it was too much money and (2) who knows how long it would have taken for our luggage to show up at a new cabin. No thanks!

We are sailing on the Dream in late November and are doing a back to back in the same interior cabin.

so... of course, carnival offered us an upgrade from interior to an aft balcony for only $100. But only for one of the two trips... so we passed.

46 minutes ago, jimgpayne said:

We are sailing on the Dream in late November and are doing a back to back in the same interior cabin.

so... of course, carnival offered us an upgrade from interior to an aft balcony for only $100. But only for one of the two trips... so we passed.

I would have taken that upsell in a second, but I can understand why didn’t take it. 

I received an email for my Deluxe OV to a balcony on deck 6 for $85. I declined because I didn’t want the balcony. I was traveling with small children and there were only like 2-3 rooms to choose from.

I had prev upgraded myself from an interior on Lido to that OV for LESS $$ anyway.