Chile $100 Airport Charge???

stutz

I just checked the US State Department's web site (travel.state.gov), and this is what they had to say about Chile:

CHILE - *Passport required. Visa not required for stay of up to 90 days. Entry fee of $100 (U.S.) charged at airport.

I would also suggest checking with Celebrity, if you are on some kind of air/sea package or if you arrive in Chile via ship rather than by plane, it might already be covered in the price. (I have no idea on this, I'm just making a somewhat logical assumption.)

A number of countries have arrival or departure fees. We were surprised by one in Australia years ago -- it was only $20 Australian per person, but it had to be paid in Australian dollars, which we'd just gotten rid of before getting on our plane. At that time (can't speak to now at all) they didn't take credit cards, so we had to go and change some American $ into Australian. We had thought that the fee was already built into our airfare along with other taxes.

The moral of this story is that it is both good to know IF there is an arrival or departure fee, and what are the acceptable forms of payment.

Cheers,

Barb

We arrived in Santiago last year and we were told that you had to pay in $100 American bills. We were careful to make sure to have them, and one of ours was turned down because it had a tear in it. After all of the fuss, we saw people paying with credit cards. The line at the credit card window was shorter than the cash one.

Vicki

Alright, I’ve had it, why would anyone pay $100 for Chile, especially at an airport, just make it yourself!

An easy chile beef soup recipe with beans and ground beef. Serve this hearty soup as a first course or main dish with a salad.

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 pound lean ground beef
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chile
  • 1/2 sweet red bell pepper, sliced
  • 4 tablespoons flour
  • 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
  • 2 1/2 cups beef broth
  • 1 to 2 cups cooked or canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
  • salt and pepper
  • cornbread or crusty bread

PREPARATION:

In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and ground beef; cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes, until beef is browned. Add garlic, bell pepper, chopped green chile pepper, and flour; stir to blend.

Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil. Stir in beans; season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley and serve with cornbread or crusty French or Italian bread.

Serves 4.

Take a deep breath it's ok.

We were also on Millie w/Al. The $100 reciprocity fee (that's what they call it) is only charged to those entering Chile by airplane. I also heard wind of a $30 fee but I believe it was included in our air ticket because we didn't have to pay a thing to leave the country.

I was also concerned before our trip. Always good to at least know about these things before we leave some people on board had never heard of it. I brought the money just in case. But didn't end up needing it.

K

We flew in to Santiago last January for a South American cruise. As others have said, the $100 must be paid at the airport! We observed one elderly man, a U.S. citizen, making quite a scene with extravagant demands (i.e., bring me the airport manager, etc) based upon his loudly proclaimed "My travel agent takes care of all these charges!". This unfortunate person was still "stalled" at the head of the line as those of us paying the fee completed our wait in line and then departed.

I travelled to Chile last year, and yes indeed, we Americans must pay the $100 entry fee. My tour guide gave me some excellent advice- when the time comes to renew your U.S. passport, just remove and transfer the entry slip from your old passport to your new one. Saves you the money if you wish to return to Chile in the future.

Everything said is correct. You pay the fee when you fly into Chile and it is $100.00 for American Citizens. Once you pay the fee, then if you fly there again and have the information stapled into your passport you don't pay a fee.

Most lines accept cash and one takes credit cards. I always recommend cash just in case their credit card system is down. I gave them two one hundred bills for my wife and me and they didn't like one of them so I had to give them another.

Their fee is high because the US fee is high for those coming into this country from Chile.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

The $100 fee is in retaliation for the fee that the US charges Chile Citizens to get a visa to enter into the US. If you enter by ship, they are supposed to collect it, but sometimes they wait until you are at the airport(its easier for the ship people and they don't collect it for people not leaving by plane). Yes $100 is outrageous but probably more so for the fee we charge them. Brazil collects it from everyone getting off a ship takes a polaroid picture(the US takes a picture of every non-citizen) entering into the US and throughs the pictures in a box never to be seen again. I wonder what happens if they run out of film...

When we went down there a few years back for a cruise, we had to pay $60.00 each. So apparently it has gone up. Then we had to pay in CASH! No credit cards and we had to wait in a long line for the privilege :( I just think the cash thing is fishy. Like there are some pocketing the money? At that time the airport was run my the military. Don't know now. They just elected their first woman President!

We arrived in Santiago by ship -- if we paid an entry fee it was included in our ticket.

We paid something like $30 as an exit fee to fly out. The $100 fee at the airport only if you are arriving there.

That was last year.

love

joan

It seems to me that TA's and X should notify passengers, especially passengers flying with X's air program, of this fee. We were caught unaware. Many of the people with us were, too. When we arrived in Chili they would only take cash... in American dollars. Period. Everyone was confused and some passengers didn't have that much cash with them (as in larger families). I still wonder how much of that cash actually went any further than the soldiers who collected it.

It seems to me that TA's and X should notify passengers, especially passengers flying with X's air program, of this fee. We were caught unaware. Many of the people with us were, too. When we arrived in Chili they would only take cash... in American dollars. Period. Everyone was confused and some passengers didn't have that much cash with them (as in larger families). I still wonder how much of that cash actually went any further than the soldiers who collected it.

This is a reciprocal fee. They charge US citizens this amount since the US charges Chile citizens arriving to the US the same fee.

While I agree that it would be nice if passenger's were advised of this ahead of time (actually one would think the airlines could advise their passenger's of this fee at the time of the airiline reservations) they do allow you to charge the fee on your credit card. When we arrived in Chile last year there was at least one line that was open that took credit cards.

Keith

We paid $100.00 in cash on arrival in Santiago at the airport prior to our Mercury Valparaiso>Buenos Aires cruise in January 2002. They wanted new bills and rejected one of mine because of a slight tear in one corner. The stamp is good for the life of your passport, so when we flew back into Santiago from Argentina after the cruise (We did a RT on American Airlines to Santiago from Dallas), there was no charge.

When we went through the airport in Feb. 2005 we paid by credit card. We were charged exactly $200, no exchange rate nonsense or credit card fee. There was no surprise. Our documents clearly stated about the $100 charge.

To save you some time, as the lines are long, make sure you go to the booth on the left as you enter the immagration area to pay you $100pp. Do not get on the lines for immagration until you have paid your $100pp. If you do you will be sent back and have to wait on line all over again. Some of the airport staff do not speak english well and easily misdirect you.

Now, before you get all hot and bothered about how unfair this is, we, the USA, started it first. We charge Chilians $100pp for a US visa and I was told by an official at the airport, who was US college educated, that the US requires a visa, thus the $100 charge, even if they are just connecting planes in the US. Chile has said once the US stops charging they will too.

Another point to consider, if your passport is near expiration, consider renewing it before you go. As stated earlier, the $100 fee is good for the life of the passport you enter the country with.

By the way, we found the people in Chile to be very nice.

rjg, is correct and that's what I mentioned in my post. Chile charges US Citizens $100.00 per person since that is what we charge Chilean Citizens who enter the US.

While there is a line that takes credit card, I would still have US dollars just in case the machine is broken or there computer lines are down. That way you'll be safe. And, yes they want crisp US dollars without any tears. So, check over your cash ahead of time.

And, you do need to do this before passport control

In terms of passport expiration, almost all countries insist that your passport have at least six months beyond the expiration date at the time you travel. Alway check the rules of the country ahead of time as this might vary by country to country. Also, make copies of each passport and have a different person carry them from the one who is carrying the passports. This information is important should the passport be lost or stolen.

Keith

Archived