Do I need an overcoat?

Eric2005

2 hours ago, Eric2005 said:

Not sure how the weather will be in southern England in mid November.  WIll I need a heavy coat?  Will I need one to walk around the deck on the ship or will a sweater and a lighter coat and scarf / hat do?  Thanks

For southern England, try this link.

http://bfy.tw/Kdm1

For the north Atlantic, add some wind and rain.

Edited by VintageCCG

One of the joys of living in the UK is that the weather is usually a surprise. It could be lovely or it could be dire. Certainly a scarf and hat but a heavy coat? If you bring one you won't need it but if you don't you will! I have a jacket that is very light but waterproof and windproof which I use on my walks. Used to be called an anorak - now some fancy name for mountain walking etc. Oh, bring gloves too. 

The weather is unpredictable. I live near Southampton and we are all in winter coats now, although it could get warmer this weekend! If you don't want to bring a coat then yes, a hat, scarf extra layers and a waterproof coat will be ok. If it's really cold you can easily pick up a coat in Southampton - try John Lewis or Primark for a budget coat

I have spent many different seasons in the UK, and the weather can be lovely to dreadful. I always have a rain proof jacket and if nippy wear a sweater underneath. I have lightweight leather gloves and a fold-able brolly. I am ready for what hails you.

If you are briskly walking you will keep warm. If it is a bit choppy or windy the deck will be closed.

Go for the light, wind and rainproof jacket with a hat, scarf and gloves as mentioned before. I am certain that there will be people in Southampton in 'light' clothing😁. I don't know how they don't catch their death's!

On 11/2/2018 at 5:30 PM, morbihan said:

If you are briskly walking you will keep warm. If it is a bit choppy or windy the deck will be closed.

Go for the light, wind and rainproof jacket with a hat, scarf and gloves as mentioned before. I am certain that there will be people in Southampton in 'light' clothing😁. I don't know how they don't catch their death's!

All good advice and yes you will see a lot of people "trying to catch their deaths" They are usualy roughy toughy young chaps who wear shorts and T shirts when the weather is freezing.! ❄️

You certainly may laugh at me, but we skip carrying coats when we travel to the UK, which we ordinarily do any time from November to March. Instead, we buy one if needed at a charity shop. We've found a cashmere and mink man's coat in one for 15 GBP. Didn't need it but bought it and took it home anyway!

Lesser buys we can give back at the trip's end or give to the homeless in Syracuse.

Edited by 2Oldpeopleinlove