Review of Eastern Seaboard cruise

moatenote

Four of us took this cruise October 6-18, 2018 and enjoyed it, as usual with Viking Ocean--this was our third cruise with them and we have 2 more scheduled.  The timing was perfect for the fall colors--trees were spectacular all along the way, but especially in Gaspe and Saguenay.  We liked that we did not have a long trans-Atlantic flight and no jet lag to contend with.  The weather wasn't great, but you roll the dice with temps, etc., and we had lots of cloudy, windy days, but still enjoyed the cruise.  The trip started off a bit badly when 3 of us had no luggage to come off the Delta plane in Montreal.  (we finally got it all returned to us by the next evening).

We decided to splurge a bit and were in PV2 cabins.  Loved the extra space and having the closet on the other side of the room instead of next to the bed.  We were in 5011, and unfortunately it did not have the sliding glass door out to the balcony.  The fixed door was incredibly difficult to open, especially for two older women and with the strong winds we experienced a good bit of the time.  Our friends next door in 5009 had the other configuration, so we all went back and forth to vote on our favorite.  The unanimous winner was the sliding door arrangement with the longer continuous view.  The actual amount of total window space may be the same, but having that bit of solid wall in the middle is a negative to us.

As usual, the staff, ship, cabins, food, etc were wonderful.  I can't even imagine cruising on any other line.  We ate in all the dining venues, but my favorite continues to be the World Cafe.  I could eat there every meal and never get bored.  The only negative there is their definition of "Crispy Bacon" for breakfast.  The first morning it was perfect, but from then on it was limp and so undercooked, I had to ask for my serving to be cooked some more, and then it was perfect.  Love their gelato,  homemade pizza, made-to-order dishes, etc.

The trip started in Montreal, a great city that we could visit by just walking off the ship and strolling the streets.  We took the included tours in all ports except NYC (there we took the optional tour of the 9/11 Museum and it was awesome.  We had great guides on the included tours and enjoyed them all.  In Quebec City, Viking had a shuttle that went to old town and it was fun to walk around that area after lunch.   Saguemay was okay, but not much to see here. We went to the live stage show--some very loud explosions that will wake up anyone.    Our next stop, Gaspe, was a tender port, since they have no dock/port.  Viking used their own tenders and they do this very well.  The bus tour was okay, and seeing the vivid fall colors was the best part. In Halifax, one of my favorite ports, our included tour was free tickets on the HoHo (Hop On, Hop Off, buses) and the narrators onboard were very good.  The harborfront walk in Halifax was terrific.  We visited the Public Gardens (very nice) and the Maritime Museum--good exhibits on the sinking of the Titanic and the fateful harbor explosion in Halifax.   In Boston, the bus tour was fair--the guide was more interested in his jokes than anything.  We also did a private harbor boat tour in the afternoon (Viking had a free shuttle that went to Long Wharf)--it was a good tour but very cold, windy, and cloudy.  After about 10 minutes, all the passengers had left the top deck and gone below.  Final stop, NYC--do not miss the sail in!!  There were lots of folks in the Explorers Lounge area at the front of the ship and we took turns dashing outside to take photos (braving the wind).  Going right by the Statue of LIberty was awesome.

We had 3 sea days and they were mostly very rough seas--I almost got really seasick one day, but still managed to eat some gelato.

I guess the first-day problems with our luggage should have clued us in to possible problems with disembarkation.....The bus transfer from the ship to Newark airport seemed fine until the bus driver said he only stopped at one terminal and the rest of us had to fend for ourselves in getting to our terminals.  I wrote to Viking after the trip, and the problem was not caused by Viking but one of their contracted bus companies, and we were very happy with Viking's response to us.  

Wow, didn't realize this was so long!  Will be happy to answer any questions about this cruise.

• Like 6

• 4 years later...

I loved your review. I am leaving for Montreal on Monday and was looking for reviews of this itinerary.

It looks like you had a great cruise seeing the fall foliage and fascinating places.

Weather will be much different for us in July and no foliage for us.

Am wondering what your favorite port was. Also did you try any delicacies while cruising from Montreal to Halifax?

I know it has been a while since your trip and hope you have had other wonderful trips with Viking.

Kimberly

My husband and I were just on this cruise in June so I can give you my thoughts. We were on the New York to Montreal route.

We loved Quebec City and Halifax. We opted for the Peggy's Cove tour and loved it. The guide was fantastic and really made the trip very memorable.

Gaspe and Saguenay are quiet towns and there's not a lot to do. We took the included tours and went back to the ship.

We didn't try any of the food except for the craft beer in most of the ports. We were craving Mexican food so that's what we found in Quebec City - lol! Being from San Diego, we were going through withdrawals. 🙂

As far as the cruise goes, there were things we loved and things we didn't like.

What we loved:

1. The ship - it's gorgeous and so well laid out. There are comfy places to relax everywhere and it's beautifully designed.

2. The work staff was the best I've ever encountered on a cruise. They were so attentive and remembered all the little details. 

3. The food was very good - I was especially impressed with the variety. I was surprised to see grilled lobster offered a few times in the Cafe. All the food was cooked perfectly to our specifications. The staff was amazing.

4. We really enjoyed this itinerary. There were some foggy days at sea, but we lucked out while in port.

What we didn't like:

1. It was a VERY sleepy cruise. I felt like I had to whisper when I was at the pool because everyone was sleeping. The music in the Atrium and Observation bar (while quite good), was extremely mellow ALL the time (except for Torshavn after 10:15 pm). We're not party people, but we felt that more events could have been scheduled - such as sail away celebrations (there was only one from New York), maybe some upbeat music at the pool, etc. One thing I always enjoyed on Seabourn was when the officers came to the bars and spoke for a few minutes. It was only 30 minutes of their time but it was nice to see them and hear about their roles. We never saw any of the officers (that we know of) and only saw the cruise director when he was on stage. We felt that were completely left on our own. 

2. We opted for the drink package and as it's been discussed here, the liquor options were disappointing. We always found wines that we liked but were surprised at the lack of options. The bourbon selections were awful - only Wild Turkey or Jim Beam unless you were in Torshavn (which doesn't open until 9:00 pm).

3. The two specialty restaurants were a bit disappointing. Not very memorable but the dining room and Cafe were excellent!

4. Communication! Embarkation was a joke because we were the cruise that was immediately after their Norovirus cruise. It took hours to get on the ship (not their fault), but there was no communication whatsoever. Then as services started opening up a few days into the cruise (after deep cleaning), there were no announcements. Disembarkation was also a mess. We were bussed to the Fairmont to wait for our ride to the airport. I was talking to the contractor that was in charge and she was furious with the lack of communication. I felt so bad for her.

Overall, it was a very good cruise. Great itinerary and great working staff. 

If you have any questions, please let me know!

cruisingthere'sa 

Thanks so much for your response and review.. Wow, this looks like this was your 1st post.

I hope the disruption with services on the cruise were not too difficult.  I am sad to hear you had issues before and after the cruise.  It really takes away from the adventure.

We will arrive in Montreal on Monday for the pre extension. Was there an attraction you saw that is not to be missed? We may try to catch the light and music concert at Notre-Dame Bascillica. 

Did you by chance hear anyone mention going on the Zodiak tour of Saguenay? We are booked for that optional excursion and I am  hoping I can handle.

Also, were you able to enjoy the spa area. One of my favorite things to do on sea days.

Best wishes for your next cruise!

1. It was Canada Day when we were in Montreal so we only walked around seeing all the festivities. It was extremely crowded and a bit much for me. However, in the morning, we took the included tour and we were taken to Mount Royal Park which has a spectacular view of Montreal. It was a bit drizzly when we were there and it was still impressive.

2. I spoke to someone who went on the Zodiak tour in Gaspe, not Saguenay. It was thrilling but VERY cold. They were given suits to wear but still got soaking wet, so be prepared to get wet!

3. Yes - I forgot to mention the spa. That was one of our favorite places. It took a few days to open due to the Norovirus issue on the last sailing, but once it was open, it was heaven! And not too crowded - ever. I think that's because the average age of the passengers was around 80 and they weren't interested (too busy sleeping by the pool). We loved the spa and used it almost every day. The sauna, steam room, and ice room were my favorites. 🙂

We leave for an Alaska cruise in a month on a very large Princess ship. It will be a bit of a shock after our experiences on much smaller ships, but for once, we're actually looking forward to more ship activities and events.

Have a wonderful time on your cruise! Please feel free to ask any other questions.

Theresa, thank you for posting your comments. I wish it had been a more positive experience for you!

What time were the enrichment talks, and what were they about?

What were a few of the featured local dining menu items at The Restaurant?

Were these fish items offered for dinner at The Restaurant?

halibut, Chilean sea bass, red snapper, Dover sole, ahi tuna

Was there ahi tuna at the Pool Grill?

Was there an appetizer of soft shell crab at The Restaurant? Foie gras?

Have fun in Alaska!

6 minutes ago, May B said:

It varied

There were theme dishes each night.

Yes

Yes

Yes

We just returned from the cruise. It was a relaxing cruise and we loved it. I think Theresa’s review is accurate. We loved the musicians and the peaceful feeling but that may be generational. We did not eat in the specialty restaurants as they didn’t have food that interested us. For pescatarians who love fish and fresh options, we found the food in The Restaurant and the World Cafe to be excellent.  We found the wines served with dinner to be very good and as a resident of Kentucky, Theresa is spot on about the bourbon selection!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, May B said:

Theresa, thank you for posting your comments. I wish it had been a more positive experience for you!

Have fun in Alaska!

Don't get me wrong - we had a fantastic time. We were just surprised how quiet the ship was. We somewhat expected a quieter cruise (I do my research), but there were so many ways they could have created a better 'cruise experience' but still maintain the type of atmosphere that they're known for. My daughter is a luxury travel advisor and I've also spent some time in this market so I have a tendency to observe experiences in a slightly different way. Small touches go a long way and I felt that the cruise director did the absolute minimum he had to. I'm sure there are corporate restrictions that must be adhered to, but a lot of opportunities were missed. However, I told my husband that if I ever went on a cruise by myself (no plans to do so), I might pick Viking because it would be the ultimate relaxing experience as a solo traveler. I would spend the day in the spa, playing games, and reading in the numerous cozy areas throughout the ship.

To answer your questions:

1. The enrichment talks were mostly during the afternoon, around 1:00. However, there was one that was held at 7:30pm which we missed because that was right during dinner time. I thought that was an odd time to have a talk. All the port talks were at 4:30 in the afternoon and you definitely need to get there early to get a seat. BTW - always get to the theatre early to get a seat for any show, etc. The theater is not large enough for everyone and always filled up - there were a lot of disappointed people.

2. We only ate at the restaurant twice for a couple of reasons. 1 - We learned that the Cafe offers most of the same items and it was more fun to 'sample' a few things rather than just be restricted to one appetizer and one main course. 2 - I don't like the seating for 2 on cruise ships. I don't like sitting 6 inches away from the next table and feeling that I'm eavesdropping on other conversations. With the Cafe, we could pick our own table and we tried to sit outside as often as possible. 

There was usually a lamb option (perfectly cooked btw!), a steak option, and definitely plenty of seafood options, which I usually opted for. I don't remember the exact offerings but the variety was very good and wonderfully prepared.

We had grilled lobster a few times in the Cafe - that was a wonderful surprise. I love scallops and those were offered on many occasions. You will be very happy with the seafood if that is your preferred choice. Do NOT miss the sushi and cold seafood options in the Cafe. One side serves sushi and the other side serves shrimp, crab, etc. I often grabbed a plate of seafood and took it back to our room for sail away. I received a lot of oohs and aahs in the elevator going back to our room!

Our FAVORITE seafood was the ahi tuna at the pool grill for lunch. Amazing! It was cooked perfectly (rare) and we ordered it almost every day - do not miss it.

I don't remember foie gras but that's not something I would order anyway. I do remember seeing soft shell crab in the Cafe (which means it was probably being served that evening in the restaurant).

One thing I loved about their food - this was the first cruise I've been on that had a great selection of vegetables. Usually vegetables are lacking, but they offered grilled asparagus, broccoli, spinach, etc. We really appreciated the variety and quality of the vegetables.

1 hour ago, cruisingtheresa said:

Don't get me wrong - we had a fantastic time. We were just surprised how quiet the ship was. We somewhat expected a quieter cruise (I do my research), but there were so many ways they could have created a better 'cruise experience' but still maintain the type of atmosphere that they're known for. My daughter is a luxury travel advisor and I've also spent some time in this market so I have a tendency to observe experiences in a slightly different way. Small touches go a long way and I felt that the cruise director did the absolute minimum he had to. I'm sure there are corporate restrictions that must be adhered to, but a lot of opportunities were missed. However, I told my husband that if I ever went on a cruise by myself (no plans to do so), I might pick Viking because it would be the ultimate relaxing experience as a solo traveler. I would spend the day in the spa, playing games, and reading in the numerous cozy areas throughout the ship.

To answer your questions:

1. The enrichment talks were mostly during the afternoon, around 1:00. However, there was one that was held at 7:30pm which we missed because that was right during dinner time. I thought that was an odd time to have a talk. All the port talks were at 4:30 in the afternoon and you definitely need to get there early to get a seat. BTW - always get to the theatre early to get a seat for any show, etc. The theater is not large enough for everyone and always filled up - there were a lot of disappointed people.

2. We only ate at the restaurant twice for a couple of reasons. 1 - We learned that the Cafe offers most of the same items and it was more fun to 'sample' a few things rather than just be restricted to one appetizer and one main course. 2 - I don't like the seating for 2 on cruise ships. I don't like sitting 6 inches away from the next table and feeling that I'm eavesdropping on other conversations. With the Cafe, we could pick our own table and we tried to sit outside as often as possible. 

There was usually a lamb option (perfectly cooked btw!), a steak option, and definitely plenty of seafood options, which I usually opted for. I don't remember the exact offerings but the variety was very good and wonderfully prepared.

We had grilled lobster a few times in the Cafe - that was a wonderful surprise. I love scallops and those were offered on many occasions. You will be very happy with the seafood if that is your preferred choice. Do NOT miss the sushi and cold seafood options in the Cafe. One side serves sushi and the other side serves shrimp, crab, etc. I often grabbed a plate of seafood and took it back to our room for sail away. I received a lot of oohs and aahs in the elevator going back to our room!

Our FAVORITE seafood was the ahi tuna at the pool grill for lunch. Amazing! It was cooked perfectly (rare) and we ordered it almost every day - do not miss it.

I don't remember foie gras but that's not something I would order anyway. I do remember seeing soft shell crab in the Cafe (which means it was probably being served that evening in the restaurant).

One thing I loved about their food - this was the first cruise I've been on that had a great selection of vegetables. Usually vegetables are lacking, but they offered grilled asparagus, broccoli, spinach, etc. We really appreciated the variety and quality of the vegetables.

With regard to your comments on th Restaurant on Viking Ocean.  You are not limited to one appetizer and one main course.  You can order as many of either as you want.  You can also order half portions.  Whenever I can not make up my mind on which main course I want, I will often order a half portion of each.  The same is true for Manfredi's.

With regard to the port lectures and enrichment talks, most are available later on the TV in your room.  We will often watch the port talk for the day while having brakefast in our room the following morning after the talk.

• Like 3

Our cruise was in Europe, so it was even less likely we’d find Maker’s Mark. We brought 750 ml and rationed it to last ten nights. Worked out great. Maybe one or two nights we waited to have happy hour with wine at the WC.

The two-tops are 25” apart, and considering I spent about 12 hours/day with my husband OUTSIDE of dinner, we weren’t discussing anything sensitive in The Restaurant. It never entered my mind that somebody might think we were eavesdropping on them! I learned recently that Table #1 is a rather private two-top, if you’d rather be “alone”. I think we should file that info away, in case we DO travel solo. If I’m alone, it’s b/c I want to BE alone, not talk to other cruisers, and not have the crew think I need to be talked to.

The char-grilled tuna at Pool Grill was better BECAUSE it was char-grilled. Truly wonderful, I totally agree.

I missed ordering spinach. I better put it in my notes for next time!

The peace and quiet was perfect for me.

So in same ways, Theresa and I see eye to eye and in some ways, it’s rbs/los and I.

😁

21 minutes ago, May B said:

Our cruise was in Europe, so it was even less likely we’d find Maker’s Mark. We brought 750 ml and rationed it to last ten nights. Worked out great. Maybe one or two nights we waited to have happy hour with wine at the WC.

The two-tops are 25” apart, and considering I spent about 12 hours/day with my husband OUTSIDE of dinner, we weren’t discussing anything sensitive in The Restaurant. It never entered my mind that somebody might think we were eavesdropping on them! I learned recently that Table #1 is a rather private two-top, if you’d rather be “alone”. I think we should file that info away, in case we DO travel solo. If I’m alone, it’s b/c I want to BE alone, not talk to other cruisers, and not have the crew think I need to be talked to.

The char-grilled tuna at Pool Grill was better BECAUSE it was char-grilled. Truly wonderful, I totally agree.

So in same ways, Theresa and I see eye to eye and in some ways, it’s rbs/los and I.

😁

I was joking about the eavesdropping part. 🙂  We did ask for tables that were a little separated and really liked table 101 (maybe similar to 1). Unfortunately, there was usually a long line to get into the restaurant so I felt bad asking for a specific table. They definitely tried to accommodate us - the staff was excellent!

I agree about the ahi tuna and the char grilling - that truly made the difference.

My husband ordered Dickel bourbon at Torshavn and was happy enough with it. He is also a Maker's Mark fan. I thought about purchasing a bottle of bourbon to bring on board but never got around to it. It also gave him a chance to try other liquors, so he definitely didn't suffer.

This is what I love about trying new cruise lines - it's a different experience and vibe on each line. I'm sure we'll try Viking again in the future depending on itinerary, etc. Who knows - maybe after our Princess cruise next month, we'll be craving the peace and quiet of Viking again - lol!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruisingtheresa said:

This is what I love about trying new cruise lines - it's a different experience and vibe on each line. I'm sure we'll try Viking again in the future depending on itinerary, etc. Who knows - maybe after our Princess cruise next month, we'll be craving the peace and quiet of Viking again - lol!

Yes the vibe on Princess and most Carnival Corp products is very different than Viking. I’ll look forward to your comparison with Viking!

6 hours ago, May B said:

I learned recently that Table #1 is a rather private two-top, if you’d rather be “alone”. I think we should file that info away, in case we DO travel solo. If I’m alone, it’s b/c I want to BE alone, not talk to other cruisers, and not have the crew think I need to be talked to.

—-Good to know.  We spend a lot of time in the public spotlight and relish time alone.

—-Yes! The tuna was outstanding as was their new Impossible Burger! (That doesn’t negate the hamburgers which we didn’t eat)

—-vegetables were fresh and tasty as was the spinach.

—-Yes. The large number of places to relax and chill are 

—-This is a good thing!

😁

• Like 1

I actually was planning to have a Sex on the Beach one night, but it never fit into our schedule. 

Mr B said he could make it for me at home. 😳😁😉🥂He hasn’t yet. I guess I should hunt up a recipe!

and since our next cruise is 16 nights, perhaps I’ll remembe4 to get that drink, AND to order spinach.

3 minutes ago, May B said:

I actually was planning to have a Sex on the Beach one night, but it never fit into our schedule. 

Mr B said he could make it for me at home. 😳😁😉🥂He hasn’t yet. I guess I should hunt up a recipe!

and since our next cruise is 16 nights, perhaps I’ll remembe4 to get that drink, AND to order spinach.

Which Viking excursion port has Sex on the Beach? Or is it Spinach on a Beach?!

• Haha 1