Walking Old San Juan

onthegogirl

Cobblestones and sidewalks are rough. And as previously mentioned, you’re walking uphill from the pier. In addition to the tram, there are taxis and Uber service everywhere. Last time we were there, we took a taxi to El Morro and then walked back (downhill) to the ship. 

4 hours ago, Tapi said:

Cobblestones and sidewalks are rough. And as previously mentioned, you’re walking uphill from the pier. In addition to the tram, there are taxis and Uber service everywhere. Last time we were there, we took a taxi to El Morro and then walked back (downhill) to the ship. 

If you have mobility issues, this would be my recommendation as well.

• 2 weeks later...

This is Calle San Justo, and is pretty typical of the climb from the centre of OSJ (i.e. Calle Forteleza,) up to Calle Norzgaray and the two big forts. Streets are cobbled and uneven, but most streets also have sidewalks. However, they tend to be a bit battered and rough.

Cruise 273a.jpg

If we want to see El Morro illuminated in the evening is it safe to walk there?  we will be staying at Sheraton Old San Juan and eating somewhere in the neighborhood.  We will have two days in San Juan before the ship sails.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2018 at 11:12 AM, Bert64 said:

Is there anywhere online I can find a self-walking tour guide/map? Something to give me a route on where to go? I don't want to get off the ship and just start wandering.

Actually just getting off the ship and wandering is not a terrible idea.  The whole area north (uphill) and west of the docks is basically Disneyland.

But to answer your question, there should be a kiosk handing out city maps to the left as you get off the ship.  

On 11/12/2018 at 11:12 AM, Bert64 said:

Is there anywhere online I can find a self-walking tour guide/map? Something to give me a route on where to go? I don't want to get off the ship and just start wandering.

Email the tourism department.  They will mail you more maps than you need.

On 11/18/2018 at 10:07 PM, deec said:

If we want to see El Morro illuminated in the evening is it safe to walk there?  we will be staying at Sheraton Old San Juan and eating somewhere in the neighborhood.  We will have two days in San Juan before the ship sails.

OId San Juan is pretty safe at night so you'll have no problem walking to El Morro and enjoying it all lit up.