Southampton Disembarkation

pbb

I've read a number of threads with posters wondering how early they can disembark. But in our case we will be going to London where our hotel room may not be available until early afternoon, so I am thinking that it might make sense to just stay on board until the last phase of disembarkation. I know we must vacate the cabin early, but why not just have a non-rushed breakfast and then exit at leisure. Am I missing anything? Thanks in advance for any comments.

Well sure, if the timing of your ground connections align with your check-in times in London, then do that.
The alternative would be to request an early check-in, or to arrive early in London and leave your bags at the desk while you enjoy some extra time in London. Or make a stop en route.
Otherwise yes, enjoy a leisurely breakfast and disembark after the crowd.

You didn't say how you plan to go to London from Southampton, but by train it will take about 1.5 hours and then you have transit time from the pier to the station and from the station to your hotel. If you go by bus the time will be similar. By private car a bit faster, depending on London traffic. You will likely be asked to leave the ship by 10:30, 11 at the latest. So if you left at 10:30 traveled to London by train and by taxi to your hotel you will likely arrive at about 1 pm. You can then leave you bags at the hotel and have a look about the city nearby.  I am at the point in my life that I want to take the least stressful route. Sitting back looking at the passing country side and then arriving mid day would suit me fine. 

Thanks to all for the comments. Based on this advice, my plan is to buy advance tickets for the train (save $) planning to depart Southampton Central around 10:30. This will give us a non-rushed morning on the ship and then get to our hotel in London in time for lunch somewhere!!

On 11/7/2018 at 1:13 PM, jomf said:

Breakfast finishes early on disembarkation day, you will also need to leave your cabin around 8am.

That's true for the restaurants, which only serve breakfast until 8 am, but (at least on Monday this week, in QV) the Lido was open until 10 am. And yes - we were asked to vacate cabins by 8 am.

As you are taking the train, ask the taxi driver to drop you on the 'London" side of the train station. You will go straight through to the platform. That way you won't have to haul your bags over the pedestrian bridge to the platform for London. I used to go to the 'front' of the station hauled my bags up the stairs when the lift was not working and then hauled them back down on the other side, when that lift wasn't working. I was later told to ask for the 'London' side, and it has worked like a charm ever since.

• Like 1