NZ to Australia cruise

imcpa

My wife & will be on the NYE cruise from Auckland to Sydney.  We have sailed SS, Crystal, Regent, PG and Windstar, but this will be our longest trip, given our post cruise plans in Australia (hello Aussie Open and hopefully seeing the GOAT Federer on his way to defending his title).

Because of the length of this trip overall, I am trying to pack light.  We will dress nice each evening (slacks and a nice shirt for me), but will I be OK without a sport coat for the whole cruise?  Given the heat we expect, I am hoping to not even bring a sport coat.  For NYE, I imagine black slacks and a nice shirt, but no coat.

Will I be OK, or will I feel out of place a few nights/venues?  We are in our upper 40s, exercise every day and do try to look our best, FWIW.

Edited by imcpa

hello imcpa ... will you be ok to dress as you describe, very much yes. Will you need a sport coat, very much no.  Would you be out of place if you wear one, equally no.

We have only been on one Viking cruise but slacks and a nice shirt were perfectly suitable. Things are often more casual in the World Cafe and Explorer Lounge. This issue has of course been discussed in this forum on other occasions so please feel free to read those other posts to get a sense of other opinions.

Age wise you may be in the younger group but from our experience nobody cares and we are happy to share our time with those 30 years younger or 30 years older and everything in between.

Melbourne in January will be hot - and cold and dry and wet. Melbourne weather is famous for it variability. We were in Melbourne a couple of years ago in March and it was 20 degrees (about 65) and cloudy at midday and 30 degrees (about 85)  and blue sky at 6pm on the same day.

We'll see you on board. Have a safe trip.

I've done a number of cruises with Viking. It seems to me that the sports coat, no sports coat thing is more of a personal choice. Some men wear them and others don't BUT there is no dress code requiring that they be worn in any particular venues.

We travel light and any clothing that we pack has to be suitable for both touring during the day and dinner at night. We don't travel in hot weather and so this is a little easier for us to accomplish. DH lives in Dockers and button downs and I tend to wear skirts (but then again, I do at home as well).

There are laundry and dry cleaning services on board the ship, which we make liberal use of. There is also complimentary self-service laundry; no need to bring detergent as an eco friendly, hypo allergic product is supplied (see the threads on the self service laundry, which include pictures and helpful hints).