quick question for Old Time Cruisers (not age)

LHC

Friends,

Have any of you gone to a cruise show in your hometown and found any good deals for future cruises, or do most of you utilize the emails that Holland sends for the best deals.

On Sunday, In Knoxville, at the Convention Center is a Cruise Show...could my daughter and I find a deal for a Christmas/NY cruise for 2006?

Linda

No real deals that I've found. I've been to several here in Las Vegas put on from time to time by two major national agencies. They haven't offered anything that I've seen that's more than what the agency normally would charge. They are fun to go to, but don't appear to offer anything major in the way of deals. That's my experience.

As Jim says, they are fun to go to but I don't think you often will find any sort of deals. Sometimes they may offer a small incentive such as a small shipboard credit or bottle of wine for booking but often the price wouldn't be so great that it would be a 'deal'.

Friends,

Have any of you gone to a cruise show in your hometown and found any good deals for future cruises, or do most of you utilize the emails that Holland sends for the best deals.

On Sunday, In Knoxville, at the Convention Center is a Cruise Show...could my daughter and I find a deal for a Christmas/NY cruise for 2006?

Linda

While I personally enjoy going to the shows, I've never booked as a result of one. In general there aren't usually any "deals" for Chistmas/NY cruises, in fact, those are the highest priced.

Friends,

Linda

Linda...We are taking our 12th cruise in April, some booked with a Brick & Mortar Agency or Tour Operator, some booked directly with the Cruise Line & the last one with an INTERNET only agent..With this booking, we've learned a big lesson..:o

Originally booked our cruise directly with HAL as the result of an e-mail listing Mariner's fares...Since becoming a member of Cruise Critic, kept seeing other CC members (especially Heather & Randy) tout on-line agents giving good discounts..Decided to investigate & discovered an on-line only agent (who advertises on CC) was quoting 10% less for an upgraded cabin than we had with HAL..Upon calling HAL, they advised me that they could not compete with their big producing agents who are able to give group rates at a discount..They suggested we release our booking to this agent (one of their large producers)..We did this & received an upgraded cabin for 10% less..:) I'm used to dealing on the phone & have had to come to terms with booking an on-line only agent..Also should have known that large agents & wholesalers can give good discounts, as this is the way we did it in the Airline Business..:o Mea culpa...Will let everyone know how it turned out after we make our last payment & receive our documents..

Also have often booked with a very large wholesaler who has inclusive tours (air, hotels, baggage handling & transfers)..We know when booking with this agent, we will never receive an upgrade because our cruise fare is very low...

My suggestion to you would be, go to the show & see what they are offering..Don't sign up for anything until you do some homework.. Check out Brick & Mortar agents in your hometown, check out the cruise company & then go on-line & check out some of those agents...If you are not sure of the agent, check with the cruise line to see if they know of them.. Be sure you check deck plans & see what cabin they are offering you..If you want an outside with large window, be sure they are not quoting a price for one with a porthole..Be sure to check out their cancellation policies..Do they charge fees if you cancel etc..Get your own insurance by checking out rates on Insuremytrip.com..Don't take it from the agent or cruise line..

We're not permitted to recommend agents, but you can find good deals if you are willing to search for them..Good luck & hope you find a good deal & enjoy your cruise with your daughter..Betty

Thank you for all the wonderful info. Beccah and I used an on-line service to book our first cruise. I read and research well, so it was not so scary. What I have found is that with a mariner number at HAL, I can see available rooms and book the number of the one I want. Beccah and I are not into spending a lot for a room, as we have been in all kinds of accommodations but the time we spend together and in the environment is what counts for us.

HAL was so elegant, we enjoyed the other passengers, everything was lovely appointed and with only a slight speech/interpretation problem with dealing with the Front Desk, all was wonderful.

We have decided an inside/outside/balcony/ or suite, whatever the time we spend together staying within our budget but enjoy all the people is more important. We can save during the year, pay as we go and have wonderful dreams of time on the sea, which both of us love so very much.

Linda

Archived