Memorial in Bayonne

33 minutes ago, loungelady55 said:

Is the memorial in Bayonne easy to get to and how long should we allow to tour it?   Is there a fee? 

I would prefer to at the start of the cruise instead of dragging my bags through it after.

TIA

The "tear drop" 9/11 memorial is adjacent to the cruise terminal in Beautiful & Gorgeous Bayonne. A 2 minute walk at most. It is easily visible from on board the ship. If you want to physically visit it, drop off your luggage and walk. I would think 5-10 minutes would be more than enough. I am not certain if there are any inscripted names surrounding the memorial, if so you might want to linger there a bit longer. Google maps shows the lengthy stone monument with the silver "tear drop" between each column at the end of the pier in Bayonne.

It is a beautiful monument.  We saw it both when we left Bayonne and when we returned.  It is getting a little tiring hearing people say how awful Bayonne is as a port.  It is no better or worse than Port Canaveral.  I do not go to a port to see a beautiful place, I go to get on a boat to take me away for a week or more.  If that port is easy to get to it is a plus. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, loungelady55 said:

Thank you all for the responses.  I feel it deserves a walk through which we will do.  Who knows when we will  be back at this port and would not like to think we missed something so close.

Enjoy your visit and cruise from Beautiful & Gorgeous Bayonne.  
Oh boy, now the whiners be mad.:classic_angry:

2 hours ago, lovescats5 said:

It is a beautiful monument.  We saw it both when we left Bayonne and when we returned.  It is getting a little tiring hearing people say how awful Bayonne is as a port.  It is no better or worse than Port Canaveral.  I do not go to a port to see a beautiful place, I go to get on a boat to take me away for a week or more.  If that port is easy to get to it is a plus. 

Agree with you Lovescats. Some on this board feel the need to belittle Bayonne and then pass it off as a joke. Then continue the belittling by using Beautiful and Gorgeous, proving it was never a joke originally but when I repeat it then they get offended🤣

I'm going to chime in here - about 10-15 minutes away by car or cab from the Bayonne cruise port is Liberty State Park, the Liberty Science Center and Planetarium, a Go Cart Track, the New Jersey State 9/11 Memorial Empty Sky (a must see), ferries to Miss Liberty and Ellis Island and the best NYC skyline view and the closest view to Miss Liberty, as well as a water taxi which will take you to the New York 9/11 Memorial and Lower Manhattan. Light rail will take you there as well - but it's a long walk to the park, and would be best by car or cab.

In addition, at the present time, Bayonne cruise port will be the new home of the Bayonne Costco - which will have shuttles for the crew to shop; also they are currently building and setting up a ferry service down on the esplanade ( the road you come into the cruiseport) which will have ferries to NYC. 

2 hours ago, Paulxyz2004 said:

Which IMO is not exactly the case with Bayonne.

I've been to the Bayonne cruise port numerous times, but the last time, last month, getting off the Turnpike at 14A, between the construction, signage, jug handles, and with my car GPS, I took wrong turns, got lost, and wandered around the area for 15 minutes before I got to Port Terminal Blvd.  :classic_sad: