Tender Unloading Accident on Maasdam

mrmac

Thank you very much Barbara for passing on this email message from a current "InDepther". And some of the remaining still confused info about the "incident".  Not even sure now it is fair to call it an accident.  But that is now in official hands.

I still contend the marketing for the InDepth Experience is grim - from the current website this totally unmarketable term "EXC InDepth" does nothing to grab anyone's immediate attention to even bother to link to this still rambling introduction: https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/cruise-ships/ms-maasdam/exc-in-depth-voyages.html

Instead of being intentionally obscure they should call this " exotic voyages", "specialty voyages",  "unique itinerary voyages", "small ship discovery voyages" ..... .....anything but  the leaden "EXCInDepth". Zero sizzle. 

I honestly worry the failure for this voyage option to catch on or even fill the house is because unless you know this type of specialty cruise is being offered, there is nothing to make you open the link, let alone catch your eye in any initial website cruise exploration. 

Since many still do not know what they were getting  into when they booked these cruises, I suspect these first  passenger responses will be all over the place.  Failed identity - EXC way too confusing- meaning too many things at the same time - EXC shore excursions, EXC port info, EXC Central space on the ship and now also----- on one HAL ship only ------- this uniquely immersion EXC InDepth cruise experience.

EXC itself is a totaly fail - can't say it, doesn't mean anything on its face, and its logo looks like a white cap on a dark blue choppy sea, as if that is supposed to be an inviting cruise image. 

Yet the InDepth has the exact same EXC logo as what you find on all  the other HAL ships. How many people even knew the term "InDepth" even mattered, when they were looking for or signing up for this cruise.

Calling them "Once in a Lifetime Unique Cruises"  would not be hyperbole. (Except I suspect they will be offering them more than once in a lifetime. But why create  a stand alone branding like Voyage of the Vikings, Tales of the South Pacific .. etc. etc.)

This is so unfortunate because here HAL comes up with something really special and truly unique in the world of mainline, middle price cruising,  and then HAL buries it  incoherently under exceedingly poor and confused marketing and website information.  

It should be a stand alone product, stand alone name, stand alone logo, and instantly recognizable by name, visuals and logo that tell the story immediately how very special this "InDepth"  option actually is. 

What is interesting however is the next InDepth cruise we have signed up for Aug 2019 looks like it has already sold out, and even some of the shore excursions are sold out. Will this extra value immersion program still be part of the cruise experience, as we are expecting by then, or will HAL have reverted back to its old model of more traditional onboard activities and cancelled this very welcome enrichment approach. 

Thanks again Barbara,  for passing this email info on.  

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 3

OlsSalt,

Well  stated.  I expressed many of those thoughts to the Director of the Program while we were on the Polynesian segment.  I love the concept, but the marketing really is missing the mark.  I really like your observation about all of the application of EXC to too many ship activities.  It ends up being confusing to the unitiated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1