Southampton Cruise Terminal

paumarier

Is it possible to find out which terminal/dock/berth the Oceania Marina will be located at on April 19 2019 in Southampton, UK?  I'm looking to book a rental car and Auto Europe has a rental return office at Southampton Port Office, Dock Gate 8.  I'm trying to find out if that is close or walking distance to the Oceania berth or will I have to walk a long way to get to the ship. Other return offices are at the train terminal and the airport.

Thanks

Oceania usually berth at City Cruise Terminal (aka Berth 101)

And that's only a couple of hundred yards from Dock Gate 8 on Herbert Walker Avenue. :classic_smile:

But unfortunately it might not be as simple as that.

Auto Europe aren't a rental operator, they're a consolidator - they deal with most of the rental operators, so we need to know which rental operator you've chosen.

There's just one rental operator at Gate 8 (behind the Holiday Inn & between the official but un-gated port entrance and the port security fence).

Years back, the operator at Dock Gate 8 was Avis. Then Alamo? Dollar?  But I'm out-of-date, and google streetview (July 2017) doesn't help because it shows reconstruction work going on there.

There are several other rental operators within half-a-mile or so, and confusingly some quote their location as "Dock Gate 8" . For instance, Hertz & National & Europcar are on a blind spur of West Quay Road - only a 10-15 min walk but no fun with luggage, kids, inclement weather etc. so you'd need your driver to walk there & bring the car back or make that short journey by taxi.

If you can quote the name of the rental operator I can try to dig deeper.

In the meantime, if this link works, here are a streetview

https://goo.gl/maps/MR5Kfe95wep

Security gate (open on cruise days), with city cruise terminal behind. The rental operator's depot (construction work) on the right.

Spin the camera 180deg  to see the official port gate and the back of the Holiday Inn

And map

.https://goo.gl/maps/j3ZHC7nHouM2

And a streetview from the blind spur of West Quay Road (Hertz, National & Europcar) 

https://goo.gl/maps/PsBYE7qJ8s42

Note how close the RCI ship in the background at City Cruise Terminal. But separated by a 12 ft fence.

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull

I was down there today.

At the moment there's no car rental depot at Dock Gate 8 itself . 

The former car rental site has been cleared & is currently being used as a parking lot for import/export cars.

As per my post, there are several depots in the area using the "Port Gate 8" address, but they involve a 15 minute walk or a short taxi hop.

JB :classic_smile:

We were docked at City Cruise Terminal on Navigator this summer. We had planned to walk to Hertz, but fortunately DH came to his senses and we took at taxi. We shared with 2 others from our group and it cost, if I remember right, 10 pounds for the 4 of us. Probably the best 10 pounds we spent the whole trip! 😊