Seaside Reviews

susan1957

Sailing on the Seaside is, similar but different than your mainline lines such as Celebrity, Princess, etc.  Probably because they are a European line. Approach it as a new experience with no perceived notions and go with the flow. We did our first cruise in September and loved it. We loved it so much we are going back in October for 14 days this time. The ship is beautiful and the staff efficient but not as personable as the other cruise lines. It didn't hurt that the pricing, in a Yacht Club Deluxe Suite, for the 14 day cruise was cheaper than a 7 day cruise in a Sky Suite on Celebrity. This is not the norm.

On 11/18/2018 at 4:16 PM, susan1957 said:

Help me out here, cause I am missing something.  I've been reading reviews of the Seaside...the last one posted was HORRIBLE...Said the food was terrible...etc. etc.  Next review...FOOD WAS AMAZING...Come on people ...I understand that everyone has their own taste buds...but how can 2 reviews be sooooooooo far apart....

Food is subjective.

• Like 1

Eating at Cheesecdke Factory this weekend made me think of this post. Dozens of pages in the menu with hundreds of just OK choices. Many people equate a great buffet or restaurant with that. Tons of options over quality of food. Whereas a great chef would tell you a truly good restaurant has no more than two pages in the menu with a max of a dozen entree choices that are all outstanding. 

On 12/30/2018 at 9:51 AM, LakeWobegon said:

I have dined at Michelin star restaurants for work when entertaining clients. One that had two stars in London was a delightful experience. But the food wasn’t that extraordinary in terms of variety or taste. It was more that every item was prepared perfectly and the exceptional service that went with it. The experience. 

Many negative Seaside reviewers are likely expecting perfection in terms of food and service. Unrealistic expectations on a large cruise ship, regardless of the package you choose. 

I don't agree that reviewers are likely expecting perfection  in terms of food and service.  We cruisers all know it can differ from cruiseline to cruiseline, from ship to ship....Some of these reviews are saying the food is HORRIBLE....I would never expect perfection when it came to the food on the ship....but it's not only 1 review saying how bad the food is....

On 11/21/2018 at 7:14 AM, shipgeeks said:

All the reviews of all the cruises (different cruiselines, different itineraries) seem to have a wide range of awful/excellent responses.  Sometimes the details give it away; "the pizza wasn't anything like my pizza at home", "they didn't play any Taylor Swift music".  I take them all with a grain of salt.

On 11/20/2018 at 9:50 PM, FireEMT978 said:

I cruised Oct.13-20th. Horrible experience. Food, etc... I posted a review.

On 11/20/2018 at 10:17 PM, Até said:

For those interested it wasn't via the normal CC review process.  It can be found here.

I just read your review of the Seaside...Unbelievable.....How can people be so rude...

On 11/21/2018 at 1:18 PM, kodesthemoose said:

It's entirely reasonable that two people could eat the exact same meal and have wildly differing views about it.  Here's my thoughts, and I haven't even sailed MSC yet.  Seaside is a ship for 5,000 people.  Food is mass produced.  It's unlikely to be comparable to a michelin starred restaurant.  Food in the buffet is likely to be of the lowest quality given that it sits out longer and is picked over by many.  Food in the MDRs is likely to be of better quality, though probably still somewhat hit and miss given that the kitchen still cooks for hundreds at one time.  Food in the specialty restaurants is likely to be better still.  I look at it this way: a) it's a cruise of thousands, so the food is never going to be unbelievable; or b) it's a cruise, so any food you don't have to cook or clean up after is better than being at home.  Others look at it differently.

I was on seaside last april.yes a huge number of people of all nationalities so that is an issue for some.the food in the buffet was good if it is food that you are accustomed to remember many nationalities.the food on the buffet is put out in small amounts not hog troughs so it is not picked over.the problem is the many nationalities .people stand there for 10 minutes looking at something trying to figure out what it is and if they want to eat it.then you got the two ladies getting food for their whole tribe blocking whole sections.just remember 5000+ passengers and many nationalities.we don't eat in the mdr so I have no idea what kind of cluster that is.but I do know the ship is not big enough for the number of people.4000 would have been more comfortable.

6 hours ago, scpirate said:

I was on seaside last april.yes a huge number of people of all nationalities so that is an issue for some.the food in the buffet was good if it is food that you are accustomed to remember many nationalities.the food on the buffet is put out in small amounts not hog troughs so it is not picked over.the problem is the many nationalities .people stand there for 10 minutes looking at something trying to figure out what it is and if they want to eat it.then you got the two ladies getting food for their whole tribe blocking whole sections.just remember 5000+ passengers and many nationalities.we don't eat in the mdr so I have no idea what kind of cluster that is.but I do know the ship is not big enough for the number of people.4000 would have been more comfortable.

Was on Seaside this November 2018 and did not find the ship crowded at all with the rare exception of Jamaica day where everyone on board decided to try to leave at the same time. But, other than that, there is just so much outdoor space, so many spaces to dine, it was lovely! We ate in the specialty restaurants, MDR, and the deck 8 buffet and enjoyed the food greatly! It is great that there are two buffets as well. But, loved the food, the variety of choices, it was a wonderful experience! We are booked again for 12/2019 back on board. Cheers! 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2019 at 2:57 PM, davekathy said:

I read all reviews and respect the posters opinions and their experiences, positive or negative. But we would never book or not book a cruise line, ship or itinerary  based on someoneelses reviews, opinions or experiences. 

I totally agree.... As much as I respect fellow cruisers opinion....I prefer to form my own opinion.