Communication questions.

onewomanarmy

NCL newbie, trying to wrap my head around keeping in touch while on board.

I am aware of the NCL app, where we can each pay a fee and be able to communicate with each other while on board.  I am also aware of the internet packages offered by NCL - we don't need those.

But I would like to be able to be available in case needed by home (not expected, but, you know how THAT goes!).  We have Verizon, and have Travel Pass which will cover our ports, and Pay As You Go enabled for on ship.  By my understanding, this would mean we are reachable at all times.  I guess what I'm trying to figure out, we'd still leave our phones in airplane mode with data turned off to keep from accruing random usage charges, so how would we actually be reachable?  Do you simply flip the airplane mode off for a few mins every day to check for texts/messages?  Should we go deny data roaming access if using these Verizon plans?

I'm not sure why I'm having such a hard time with this - maybe it's my dislike of talking on the phone...  😉

Thanks for any help!

You can set your phone to turn data roaming off when you are on the ship. . BUT you have to be careful, because when you are in port, you'll be turning data roaming ON so that you can use your international data plan. If you don't turn it OFF when you at sailaway leaving the port,,, oooops,,,, you may incur [enormous] charges. 

If you are in airplane mode without internet, you are NOT reachable. 

Any time you are off airplane mode, you may incur charges. All incoming text messages may incur charges in accordance with your plan with Verizon. Any calls that may come in when you have airplane mode is off will incur a $2.99/minute Verizon charge regardless of whether you pick it up or not. 

2 hours ago, onewomanarmy said:

But I would like to be able to be available in case needed by home (not expected, but, you know how THAT goes!).  😉

Thanks for any help!

If you are needed by home just let them leave a message, they can call the ship.  All the information is on the NCL website.