Na Pali coast, Pride of America

Tinknock50

Which side of the ship is best for viewing the Na Pali coast on a Pride of America cruise ?    This is important because I will be with a handicapped person with that may not be comfortable outside.

Second question......will it be warm while out to sea and not feel cool with the breezes from a moving ship?

Thanks!

You want to be port side, as that is the side which faces the coastline as you go past the first time. When we did it we sailed quite a lot further out to sea and without a commentary after we turned round.

It was nice and warm for us when we went (back in August), although there was some rain around.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

You want to be port side, as that is the side which faces the coastline as you go past the first time. When we did it we sailed quite a lot further out to sea and without a commentary after we turned round.

It was nice and warm for us when we went (back in August), although there was some rain around.

Thanks!  We have a port side cabin now, so we will stay there.

We will be going the end of November. Do you think it will be much cooler then?

We were on the sailing for 11/3-  they did not go there due to making repairs in Kauai.. They gave everyone a $100. shipboard credit per stateroom.  They had done this on the previous three sailing also... working on the lifeboats and their cranes... We took a helicopter tour.. it was amazing... Hope you all get to see it.. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cruising to Retirement said:

We were on the sailing for 11/3-  they did not go there due to making repairs in Kauai.. They gave everyone a $100. shipboard credit per stateroom.  They had done this on the previous three sailing also... working on the lifeboats and their cranes... We took a helicopter tour.. it was amazing... Hope you all get to see it.. 

Sounds like the helicopter is accessible for my friend, so we will do that.

We are going November 2020, so I hope all is shipshape for Na Pali Coast viewing.

1 hour ago, Tinknock50 said:

Which side of the ship is best for viewing the Na Pali coast on a Pride of America cruise ?    This is important because I will be with a handicapped person with that may not be comfortable outside.

Second question......will it be warm while out to sea and not feel cool with the breezes from a moving ship?

Thanks!

Weather - - -

You will be in a winter temperate zone late fall till February - the temperatures on land will average in the mid 70's to low 80's.

At sea it will be cooler especially since when viewing the Na Pali coast you are sailing around the windward side

of the island of Kauai - the south side (Poipu) is the warmer dryer leeward side. 

Out on deck plan on a light jacket or sweater perhaps a rain slicker if the forecast is for pineapple mists (rain).

Since you will be on the POA the previous 6 days seek out a sheltered viewing spot on the port side to take it all in.

The sail by usually occurs in the mid to late afternoon with the sun setting rays painting the majestic cliffs.

While on board ask more questions to get details on this. Not every cruise is exactly the same.

Winter storms make sailing on the north side of the islands great for surfing but the POA will not be surfing - no fear.

Weather changes - the POA should provide you with the forecasts perhaps the ships Daily newsprint of what is anticipated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tinknock50 said:

Thanks!  We have a port side cabin now, so we will stay there.

We will be going the end of November. Do you think it will be much cooler then?

We just went in early Nov and the weather was pretty much perfect. Like 68-80 most of the time, depending on the island. I think Hilo felt a little warm (we're not used to humidity being from AZ!), but other than that, the weather was great. I wore dresses and flip flops the whole time. Maybe bring a light jacket just in case, but I didn't need mine. It rained a little here and there, but even that wasn't cold. It's colder in AZ now than in Hawaii, which felt weird. But I added all the islands to my phone's weather app before we started packing, so maybe do that so you can keep an eye on the weather before you go. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Weather - - -

You will be in a winter temperate zone late fall till February - the temperatures on land will average in the mid 70's to low 80's.

At sea it will be cooler especially since when viewing the Na Pali coast you are sailing around the windward side

of the island of Kauai - the south side (Poipu) is the warmer dryer leeward side. 

Out on deck plan on a light jacket or sweater perhaps a rain slicker if the forecast is for pineapple mists (rain).

Since you will be on the POA the previous 6 days seek out a sheltered viewing spot on the port side to take it all in.

The sail by usually occurs in the mid to late afternoon with the sun setting rays painting the majestic cliffs.

While on board ask more questions to get details on this. Not every cruise is exactly the same.

Winter storms make sailing on the north side of the islands great for surfing but the POA will not be surfing - no fear.

Weather changes - the POA should provide you with the forecasts perhaps the ships Daily newsprint of what is anticipated.

Good advice.    This ship doesn't seem to have many inside places for viewing. Any suggestions there?

4 minutes ago, Tinknock50 said:

Good advice.    This ship doesn't seem to have many inside places for viewing. Any suggestions there?

The Aloha Cafe has really good views of the ocean from inside, and the Gold Rush Saloon has views of the other side. Cagney's and the Napa Wine Bar do, too. In fact I think many of the restaurants there do. The Na Pali Coast was canceled on our sailing so I can't speak to that specifically. But you'll be able to see outside from indoors if you want. 

• Thanks 1

While elevation has it best viewing points don't overlook Deck 6 the Promenade deck and the best part

is it is handicap accessible and semi-sheltered from the winds and rain.

Please plan to arrive early to park and find a suitable viewing position.

As noted earlier you have several days to plot out these viewing locations.

Winter season the prime viewing of the Na Pali cliffs is time limited check with Guest Services for the

information about the sail-by. Normally the POA leaving the port of Nawiliwili Lihue Kauai will hug the

north coast of the island past Hanalei - Princeville and then the Na Pali coast will be next. The POA

does a sail by with the port side have first prime viewing - then the course will be reversed and the

starboard side will get the view but it will be further out to sea and then setting a course to the Port of Aloha

Honolulu for arrival the next day morning. The sail-by is not a rushed event but as noted with the winter

months daylight is fleeting.

Bring binoculars and a camera with telephoto capabilities and maybe a selfie stick to work around any

deck or people obstructions - take lots of pictures to remember this passage - the Cliffs of Na Pali are

one the most photographed places in Hawaii.

• Thanks 1

• 4 years later...

sadly it looks like it is not going to matter much longer since The POA will be discontinuing the Napali Coast portion of their cruise.  Saddens me as we have heard such good things about it.  I wonder if Norwegian is listening?