water and drinks

winny63

Hi just wondering if you can bring your own water on board the ship or allowed to bring any kind of drink at all??

I know its extra for drinks on board but was wondering if you could bring your own

:confused::confused:

Your chances of getting accurate answers might increase if you tell us which cruiseline you'll be on.

I'd be happy to tell you the policy on Princess and Oceania, but honestly, what's the point, if you won't be on either one of them?

Jane

I've been on the Grand Princess and I can't say for sure whether the Star has the same policy, but I would assume so. Perhaps someone else who's been on the Star will jump in and confirm or correct.

Bear in mind that NO cruiseline will allow you to pour a drink in your cabin and then bring it to public places on the ship. Consumption is for in your cabin only.

I think Princess has an extremely sensible policy. We like to keep vodka in our cabin and before our one and only Princess cruise we learned that we can pre-order a bottle from them (I think on the website, it's called a gift section. i.e. as if someone were buying you a bon-voyage gift). They had a nice selection of vodka's (other liquors too) and the prices were only slightly higher than duty free but much less than in our local liquor store. IMO, this is a win-win situation, they make some money, we save some money. Also, since I bought it from them, I had no "guilt" feelings about asking our cabin steward to keep us supplied in nice glasses and lemon. <g>

I *think* you can also order a bottle of liquot from room service as well.

So, you can carry on liquor in your luggage, but why bother? Buy it from them and save the schlep.

The only liquid I pack from home is diet cranberry juice since the ship doesn't have it and I can never find it in any port, so I pack a half gallon bottle of it and use for my in-cabin Cosmo's.

For wine, you can bring your own bottle into the dining room and be charged a fair corkage fee. It's about $10. All cruiselines will hold over any uncomsumed portion of wine for you until the next night - whether it's a bottle you bought from them or your own.

When we're in port, we usually buy one big bottle of water to bring back onboard with us and no one has ever stopped us. We'll often end up buying a couple of Princess's bottles too. I'm not going to schlep dozens of bottles of water to save a few pennies. Seems tacky to me, but that's my opinion. I have no idea if Princess would stop people from bringing a case of water aboard - I'd never try it and I've never seen anyone attempt to do it.

Overall, we were very pleased with the price of drinks and wine on Princess and never felt like we were being taken advantage of.

Have a great cruise.

Jane

My husband and I have brought bottled water with us. We have always brought a cooler along as the cruise lines will let you bring a "reasonable" amount of soda with you. We like to have one in the morning and such and it is much more convenient to have it in our room, plus we do save a few pennies. Since we have the cooler along, we bring water too, otherwise we wouldn't bother.

We have also bought a bottle of Vodka from Princess and I don't remember if my husband pre-ordered it or called room service right when we got there, but we had it soon after we arrived and he had a pre-dinner cocktail while we were getting ready each evening. I have to admit I did too, but it was Captain Morgan and I snuck my own on. I think all of the cruise lines allow you wine or champagne, but I don't think any allow you to bring your own alcohol on board.

ps-We bring one of those rolling coolers and we fill on our way to the port so we fly with it empty. Then on our way back we pack our souvenirs inside of it! Works well for us.

well i was hoping to bring on some water and maybe a few cans of pop but if it will get us into trouble i wont risk it..I dont understand why its so wrong. maybe im a penny pincher or somthing but i never have been anywhere in my life so this is a new thing for me.

I can't speak specifically about Princess but have sailed Celebrity, HAL, RCCL and NCL. I have always brought a few bottles of soda on board these lines and have never had any problem. I too like to have a coke in the morning and so a couple of bottles is always nice to have in the room. I always start with a couple and then buy a couple more as I need them in port. I don't think the cruise lines mind as long it's done in moderation. I have also heard of people bringing cases of water on board but to me this seems like such a hassle as I already have luggage to deal with and don't want anymore to worry about then I have to.

The water on the cruise ships is safe to drink & it tastes good. Bring a few bottles & refill them from the buffet throughout your trip. It sure saves your back not having to lug all that heavy water around.

I always bring a 12 pack of Pepsi b/c I don't like Coke.

Trish, we brought water on because the last time my mom cruised, her feet swelled and she drank a lot of the ships water. So this time, we brought some water of our own and nobody had that problem. Not trying to pick on you, just pointing out why some want to bring their own water event though the ship's water is safe.

well i was hoping to bring on some water and maybe a few cans of pop but if it will get us into trouble i wont risk it..I dont understand why its so wrong. maybe im a penny pincher or somthing but i never have been anywhere in my life so this is a new thing for me.

I don't see where anyone said it will get you into trouble.

Princess doesn't have a policy against bringing water or soda on board.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived