Beach in Kona from the Pride of America

Colorfulco2

Hi all, we are going to be on the Pride of America and are considering 2 beaches,  Kahaluu  Beach Park (would need to Uber there), or King Kam beach area (walking distance) . Does anyone know the Uber approx. price and is it worth the price or is the King Kam Beach just as good for snorkeling?

Don't know the Uber price, but there is also a Kona Trolley that stops right at the pier and goes to Kahalu'u Beach as well as other stops.   I tried to copy the link to information, but am having no luck, so just Google Kona Trolley.   It's $2.00 per person each way.     The problems with it are that it may be crowded and it takes awhile to make its round, so make sure to allow plenty of time to get back to the ship.    It might be worthwhile taking the trolley to the beach, then Uber back to the ship.

The little beach next to the King Kam Hotel is OK for sunning or just cooling off in the water, but we've found that the water is less than pristine due to all the boats coming in to the pier area.   Snorkeling isn't nearly as good there as it is in Kahalu'u.    

Edited by Kartgv
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2018 at 7:39 AM, Sunny AZ Girl said:

We rented a car in Kona. It was very easy and we had a great day. We went to the beach and also to the historic park. We will probably do the same when we return on the Serenade in 2020. 

I'll assume you are referring to Place of Refuge? https://www.nps.gov/puho/    Add to this drive,  some of the best shore entry snorkeling-   next door at 2 Step.   :)   I spend a lot of time on Hawaii and spend a LOT of time in the water there-   just superb,  excellent snorkeling.   :)  

38 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

I'll assume you are referring to Place of Refuge? https://www.nps.gov/puho/    Add to this drive,  some of the best shore entry snorkeling-   next door at 2 Step.  🙂  I spend a lot of time on Hawaii and spend a LOT of time in the water there-   just superb,  excellent snorkeling.   🙂

I couldn't do that last time because I was recovering from surgery. But my DB did that and he also said that it was the best snorkeling he had ever done. I hope that I am able to do that next time.