My Time Dining...I'm so confused

Hi.

I'm really confused. If my family picked My Time Dining for the Main Dining Room on our booking, why do I have to make reservations ahead of time. On NCL and Carnival, you just show up to your assigned dining room at the time you want. Sometimes you wait, sometimes not.

Didn't I pick the option to just go when we want? Please clarify for me.

6 minutes ago, Katemusical said:

Oh great! Thank you! I thought I did something wrong.

Can you make a reservation for a night once you are on the ship?

Sure, you can either call or visit the MTD desk onboard.  Phone number will be in the Cruise Compass.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Katemusical said:

Hi.

I'm really confused. If my family picked My Time Dining for the Main Dining Room on our booking, why do I have to make reservations ahead of time. On NCL and Carnival, you just show up to your assigned dining room at the time you want. Sometimes you wait, sometimes not.

Yes you can just show up but I personally wouldn’t recommend doing that as depending on what time you go and your party size, you might end up with a really long wait. There are two lines at the MDR, one for people with reservations and another for people without. I haven’t done the without line as I don’t personally do dining without making reservations, but I have noticed that the line for without reservations is always much longer especially during peak dining. So depends on if you are okay with waiting a while if dining from 5:30-8. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Katemusical said:

Hi.

But you can also make reservations in advance on NCL too. We did this onboard Epic so we didn't have to be given a pager by turning up when it was busy. We also always reserve in advance on RCI to ensure we get the time we want.

We never make reservations!  Usually the "with reservation" line is as long or longer than the "without".  Rarely do we wait more than 5 minutes for a table.  The only way I would make reservations for MTD is if you have a large party.  We love MTD for the flexibility.  We go eat when we feel like it.

3 hours ago, Katemusical said:

Hi.

You can go when you want but at busy times you could have a wait.

There are 2 queues,1 for people with and 1 for people without reservations.

4 hours ago, CatBelle said:

I have my time dinning too, it is what our reservation gave us automatically, but I like the idea of having dinner at the same time every day, even with the same mates (I was usually lucky with them)

You might want to check with RC or your TA to see if you can switch to regular dining, or check with dining room once you board. 

4 hours ago, CatBelle said:

I have my time dinning too, it is what our reservation gave us automatically, but I like the idea of having dinner at the same time every day, even with the same mates (I was usually lucky with them)

We tend to book sailings pretty close to sail date and early dining is filled up.  Late is simply too late for us.  So we get My Time and book reservations for 6PM every night.  Frequently found one, and a couple times two couples the table were same people with us the night before.