Is Princess turning off their customer base?

63 Super Sport

4 hours ago, caribill said:

When Princess had more smaller ships in the fleet (even if large at the time they were introduced) there were more special itineraries available.

The newest ships cannot be properly accommodated at many of the ports they used to visit. For example, the Royal class rarely can made it all the way to Stockholm while the Grand class ships always did. 

The number of passengers on the largest ships would overwhelm the available tourist infrastructure at ports that used to be special on Princess itineraries and do so on some ports that continue to be visited. For example, when the Golden Princess went to the Falkland Islands many passengers were disappointed because excursions filled up very fast. When the Royal Princess goes there with about 1000 more passengers than the Golden had, even more passengers will be left out of the excursions they want.

I understand that and I agree with you that it's the conflict of having to produce large ships as an economic solution to overcome the increasing costs to operate.  The Island Princess is a good example that it isn't profitable because of its size, although she is able to go where the Royal Class ships can't.  My concern is that there needs to be a way to differentiate Princess from the rest or else it will be reconciled to operate as just another ocean-going bus where the ship is the destination.

I don't have a solution at present, but then, maybe it is the direction Princess has decided to take and that's what it is.

On 12/1/2018 at 4:53 PM, Fuzzyape said:

You are correct, Anubi!

I find it amazing as the ships get bigger that the focus becomes the ship...not its itinerary.  There were a lot of posts that I found interesting.   In my opinion, you have to find a ship that has the amenities you want.  To me that's why each of the lines have what they have to appeal to the market they want.  Though I know the market shifts, as do the passengers.  I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes out for the line that suits me best.  I'll let you know when it isn't Princess.  By the way, full disclosure, my first cruise was when I was in my mid to late 30s.  Take that information in whatever way you need.

Well said.  As I have said before, I want the ability to enjoy the ship for what it is and that is a seagoing place to take us on a new adventure.  I don't want it to be the whole experience filled with rock climbing, water slides, mid-ship main street stuff and weird entertainment.  If that is what we want to do we'll take a bus to Vegas.

Being on the water is what works for us and always will. 

15 minutes ago, Grego said:

Well said.  As I have said before, I want the ability to enjoy the ship for what it is and that is a seagoing place to take us on a new adventure.  I don't want it to be the whole experience filled with rock climbing, water slides, mid-ship main street stuff and weird entertainment.  If that is what we want to do we'll take a bus to Vegas.

Being on the water is what works for us and always will. 

Excuse me.....I think you should compare the new cruise ships more to Orlando, FL like theme parks.....cruise ships are no Las Vegas by any means....a week in Las Vegas is going to cost you a lot more then a week on a cruise ship.....plus 50,000,000 people a year fly to LV and few take the bus.....

22 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

Excuse me.....I think you should compare the new cruise ships more to Orlando, FL like theme parks.....cruise ships are no Las Vegas by any means....a week in Las Vegas is going to cost you a lot more then a week on a cruise ship.....plus 50,000,000 people a year fly to LV and few take the bus.....

You are excused.  I think you missed my point.  Princess thus far has refrained from turning their ships into theme parks, while other lines turn to this as an attraction to new demographics and turn the ship into a destination and a bus to stop at Caribbean stops.  I was not comparing the costs of doing a land vacation at a theme park or in Las Vegas, although you may find some comparable costs depending on how you book your cabin/hotel room, it's more about what cruising is now becoming and the way it's marketed.  My reference to Las Vegas stems from an increased amount of glitz, glitter and  "circus-like" entertainment.  

• Like 1