Christmas cruise question

danielbriere

Going to be at sea this Christmas. First time. Hoping some of you veterans who've done a Christmas cruise before (specifically on Celebrity) might be able to help with something.

In all our previous cruises, evening chic nights -- dressup days -- have been sea days. However, we have a port day on Christmas day. So here's what I'm trying to figure out:

I assume Christmas would be dressier for dinner. Am I correct in that guess?

If so, in your past experience did they add a third evening chic night or simply move one of the others around.

Just trying to decide what to pack.

Thanks for your help. I know there are some Christmas threads here on CC but I haven't been able to find this specific answer anywhere.

On both of our extended holiday cruises, the normal number of formal nights (or Evening Chic nights) were arranged so that they fell on Christmas and New Year's Eve.  In other words, they did not add an additional EC night for the holidays.

On our 15 night South America cruise aboard Infinity we celebrated Christmas and New Years.  This cruise length puts it in the 3 Evening Chic night category and they were distributed such that Christmas Day (at sea) and New Year's Eve (docked at Ushuaia) both were Evening Chic.  Here is the Celebrity Today which had the itinerary with evening dress schedule.  Here are the MDR menus for Christmas Day (and MDR dessert menu) and for New Year's Eve (and MDR dessert menu).

On our 14 night S Caribbean cruise aboard Eclipse we celebrated New Years.  Dec 31st was spent at Aruba and was designated as the 2nd formal night even though it was the 4th night of the cruise.  Again there were 3 formal nights on the cruise because of the length, but the 2nd one was deliberately scheduled on NYE.  Here is the Celebrity Today which had the itinerary with evening dress.

Edited by mahdnc

Which cruise are you on?  We're on the 12-night Silhouette holiday sailing and I asked a similar question on our Roll Call re: how many evening chic nights there would be.  Someone was kind enough to respond that they had emailed Celebrity directly and was told we'd have three such nights, when I believe the norm would have been two?  I'm assuming one of these would be Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, which are both port days for us.

Linda

1 hour ago, danielbriere said:

Going to be at sea this Christmas. First time. Hoping some of you veterans who've done a Christmas cruise before (specifically on Celebrity) might be able to help with something.

In all our previous cruises, evening chic nights -- dressup days -- have been sea days. However, we have a port day on Christmas day. So here's what I'm trying to figure out:

I assume Christmas would be dressier for dinner. Am I correct in that guess?

If so, in your past experience did they add a third evening chic night or simply move one of the others around.

Just trying to decide what to pack.

Thanks for your help. I know there are some Christmas threads here on CC but I haven't been able to find this specific answer anywhere.

In the last few days this same question was asked.  There were a lot of pictures and information.  

Rollie

We did a 14-night Holiday Cruise on Eclipse, four years ago (when it was still called 'formal night). I don't recall exactly when the formal nights were -- but, we did have three of them -- and folks dressed to the 'nines' for all of them. I do remember Christmas Eve NOT falling on a formal night. I was worried that I'd be overdressed for dinner. No worries -- most of the passengers dressed up for that night, too! I don't know how the change to 'chic night' changed things, but IMHO, you can't go wrong dressing up for holidays, onboard. 🙂 

59 minutes ago, SleepingUgly said:

Which cruise are you on?  We're on the 12-night Silhouette holiday sailing and I asked a similar question on our Roll Call re: how many evening chic nights there would be.  Someone was kind enough to respond that they had emailed Celebrity directly and was told we'd have three such nights, when I believe the norm would have been two?  I'm assuming one of these would be Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, which are both port days for us.

Linda

I guess I didn't realize that there is supposed to be a max of 2 Evening Chic nights on cruises that are 7 nights or longer.  So, I need to revise my answer because apparently an extra EC night was inserted after all into our 15 Nt S America holiday cruise.

We've done 5 holiday cruises and all except the 9 day had 3 formal/EC nights. Doing 12 day Silhouette in a few weeks and I'm predicting they'll be on day 2 (first full day and sea day), Christmas eve, and definitely New Years Eve. 

55 minutes ago, Paulras said:

We've done 5 holiday cruises and all except the 9 day had 3 formal/EC nights. Doing 12 day Silhouette in a few weeks and I'm predicting they'll be on day 2 (first full day and sea day), Christmas eve, and definitely New Years Eve. 

Actually, Paul, last year we had 3 because we were on a B2B so I'm not sure if we will have 2 or 3.

Looks like DH's tux shirt might have to go to the cleaner's if you are correct though, because he is only packing for 2! :classic_biggrin:

58 minutes ago, digital_curator said:

Actually, Paul, last year we had 3 because we were on a B2B so I'm not sure if we will have 2 or 3.

Looks like DH's tux shirt might have to go to the cleaner's if you are correct though, because he is only packing for 2! :classic_biggrin:

Ah, that's right. Well someone was supposedly told by Celebrity that Silhouette will have 3 on our sailing. I'm doing the tux twice and a black suit once. Easy enough to get the tux shirt laundered on board.  I actually bought a dinner jacket months ago but finally came to the conclusion I didn't have anything that looked with it so I returned it yesterday. Nice suit is never bad but has to be the tux for NYE!

• Like 1