Cancel or rebook due to illness?

Looking for some advice.   We are 60 days out from our cruise.  It has been paid in full.    Also paid in full is:  Voom, coffee card and specialty dining.  And we bought the insurance.

My spouse was seriously injured several months ago.  We believed that recovery would be complete by the time we sailed.  Well, life has other plans!  We just found out another surgery will need to be done in the next month or two.  Therefore, our cruise will need to be postponed.  Should we cancel via the insurance coverage or do you think we could ask RCCL to rebook to a later date?

Thanks for your thoughts.

2 minutes ago, MissCheeVeeUs said:

Looking for some advice.   We are 60 days out from our cruise.  It has been paid in full.    Also paid in full is:  Voom, coffee card and specialty dining.  And we bought the insurance.

My spouse was seriously injured several months ago.  We believed that recovery would be complete by the time we sailed.  Well, life has other plans!  We just found out another surgery will need to be done in the next month or two.  Therefore, our cruise will need to be postponed.  Should we cancel via the insurance coverage or do you think we could ask RCCL to rebook to a later date?

Thanks for your thoughts.

There have been many posts from people who have called and Royal Caribbean has allowed them to move their reservation to a different sailing.  Most of those have been people with no insurance.  Having read this many times, I called and tried to do the same and was denied.  I was told I had to file an insurance claim.  Insurance reimbursed us within a few weeks of providing them with the necessary documentation.  Voom, coffee card and specialty dining will be reimbursed by the cruise line when you cancel or transfer to a different cruise.

It doesn't hurt to call and ask to transfer your reservation, but be prepared to have to cancel outright.

Best of luck, I hope your spouse recovers quickly.

13 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

There have been many posts from people who have called and Royal Caribbean has allowed them to move their reservation to a different sailing.  Most of those have been people with no insurance.  Having read this many times, I called and tried to do the same and was denied.  I was told I had to file an insurance claim.  Insurance reimbursed us within a few weeks of providing them with the necessary documentation.  Voom, coffee card and specialty dining will be reimbursed by the cruise line when you cancel or transfer to a different cruise.

It doesn't hurt to call and ask to transfer your reservation, but be prepared to have to cancel outright.

Best of luck, I hope your spouse recovers quickly.

Thanks for  sharing your experience.  You're right, it cant hurt to try.

4 minutes ago, MissCheeVeeUs said:

Gosh I hope so.  It would be terrible if we are not covered.

If the accident occurred before you purchased the insurance, then timing of the accident vs when you first booked the cruise vs when you purchased insurance is important.