Is parasailing safe?

Kim225

We are going on a Western Caribbean cruise in April and I would love to get options on parasailing. My husband and nephews (14 and 17) would like to go parasailing. A friend recently went on a Carnival cruise and she thought she remembered seeing warnings not to parasail, but RCCL offers parasailing on their excursions list. While I know just about anything has risks, some things are safer than others.

We will be stopping in Labadee, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. If you think that parasailing is safe where would you recommend.

I suspect that most of these folks aren't insured and such. I'm sure most work out fine, but do you really want to be hurt in a foriegn country?

Come to think of it, I wonder why they don't have much... if any parasailing in the USA?:confused: Maybe it's un-insurable.

Buyer beware.

They do have parasailing in the US, I was once sitting outside at my Cape Cod house on a very windy day when I saw a parasailer whose rope had broke go sailing overhead and he was actually moving sideways meaning the parasail was blowing sideways and he was trailing to the side of it the wind was that strong. I got in my car and headed in the direction I had seen him go, He came down finally about a mile inland in a field fortunately and only had minor injuries.

If it is through RCL then it is very safe. They have you take off and land right on the back of the boat... Nobody touches the water. It is a blast! You should try it at least once.

And take a cheap camera with you when you go up-

01280915-parasail1.jpg

01320915-parasail2.jpg

01010915-parasail3.jpg

Have Fun!

My husband and I are not "kids" anymore (me-58, him-61) and we went parasailing last Jan. in St. Thomas. We went on the ships excursion and had a blast. Of course there is danger in anything, but we felt very safe and wouldn't trade the experience for the world. I say go for it!

Susan

I have parasailed twice........ Once at Clearwater Beach, Florida..... the second time about a month ago while in port at Key West ........ Buying through the ship, it was going to cost $150.00 for a tantum ride ........ We got into town and purchased a tantum parasail ride for $75.00 ....... You step right into the boat, strap in and are lifted right from the boat ........ We had a blast, laughing, enjoying the view and taking pictures ........ Then they pull you right back down to the boat, never getting your feet wet ..... We would do it again in a heartbeat !!

:eek: I had always thought that I would want to try it someday...just can't!! WAY TOO afraid of heights!! Step stools make me white knuckle the counter!! :eek:

My guess would be that your best/safest bet would be if you were going to do it is thru the cruiseline excursions.

Good luck and have a blast!!!

Don't the cruise lines just book with a local company? It's not really the cruise line running the operation. I don't think people should assume something is safe because it's a ship excursion. Came to this conclusion after going tubing in Ocho Rios. It was not a safe drive up into the mountains (compared to driving in U.S safety standards) - but I would do it again. I did not, however, let my 16 year old go parasailing. Told her we would let her go back home for her next birthday - when the lakes thaw out that is ;)

P.S. I know.....more people are killed in car accidents than parasailing.:rolleyes: Did you know more people are killed by vending machines than sharks? That's what I tell people that always bring up sharks when you tell them you are going on a cruise and going snorkling.(I think they are jealous and have to say something negative)

Labadee is RCI's private island and the excursions there are run by RCI. I've parasailed there and it was absolutely beautiful and wonderful. Great view of the area. I am very afraid of heights - I have troubles on the 3rd floors of buildings - but I had no problems parasailing. I had a moment of panic as we waited to go up, but then once I was up in the air I felt like I was floating and the panic and fear went away. At Labadee they have you go up in tandem with someone else.

We parasailed in Key West ...... Talked to a person at an information booth and she walked with us right to the boat (The Afrayed Knot) ... These guys were a lot of fun ..... There were only the two of us, but if there had been more of us, they would probably invited everyone to ride along ...... The boat would have held 10 people easy ....... He said there was 600 ft of rope and we were up for a good 15-20 minutes ....... My wife probably snapped 20 pictures while we were up ...........

I parasailed in Key West too. I picked the company off the Chamber of Commerce web site & knew they had insurance.

On your itinerary, if you really want to go, I'd suggest Labadee b/c it is RCI's island & they have control over the event. I've seen many parasailing boats where the equipment was frayed & the operators were drinking. Do you really trust them to have your safety as their primary interest? If something does go wrong, who will be responsible.

It is reasonably safe but everything has risks.

If you go, it will be fabulous b/c it really is an amazing view.

Two years ago while in Florida( Late March, Early April 2004) an operator took out two youg girls para sailing. It was a windy day and this particular operator was the only one out on the water. Note this was Clearwater Beach. Well the line snapped due to the wind and the two girls were headed for the side of a high rise hotel. Thank god about a hundred people secured the line and somehow pulled them down safely. All of this recored by a bystander. What I learned afterword is this. The operators claim to be coast Guard approved. Which is true. They are Coast Guard approved, but only to carry Passengers.:mad: The Parasailing Equipment and crews are not. :eek: So in fact there are really no rules for them. No one checks harnesses, lines etc. No rules on wind speed and when not to go. All of this is done by the operators themselves. There was talk about somewtype of regulation, but I never heard of any. In the end we decided that as a family we would not undertake a parasailing adventure as planned. Bottom line is buyer beware. Iam sure thousands do it each day without incident me I would't personaly take the chance with my family.

Especially in another country. gravity can be cruel when it takes over.

Regards

Dhamy

I have 2 friends who both experienced parasailing in Mexico (on different trips). The first went with a group of 4 girls. The first girl, who had gone parasailing before, went and things seemed fine. She just thought it was weird that she was sailing so low and passed insanely close to a cruise ship. Then the guides pointed to my friend and said "you go next". She didn't want to go so the other 2 girls volunteered. The guides said, "too grande". Mind you, these girls can't weigh over 130 each. They insisted my friend go since she was the skinniest. Evidently there was a problem but they wanted their money so they wanted to "sacrifice the skinny girl" as she put it. She didn't trust them and never went.

Another friend was sitting on their hotel balcony when some girl came crashing down on the beach by them. The guides unhooked their equipment from her and took off, leaving her there. A crowd had gathered around her and ended up picking her up and taking her away. She ended up with a broken ankle or leg.

So, just be careful who you go with.

Two years ago while in Florida( Late March, Early April 2004) an operator took out two youg girls para sailing. It was a windy day and this particular operator was the only one out on the water. Note this was Clearwater Beach. Well the line snapped due to the wind and the two girls were headed for the side of a high rise hotel. Thank god about a hundred people secured the line and somehow pulled them down safely. All of this recored by a bystander. Dhamy

I remember seeing this video on the news. It was really scary.

Thanks for all of the responses. It sounds like it is a great experience if you are willing to take the risk. As for me, I will stay on the ground, but my husband is definitely more daring than I am. If he decides to parasail, I think that he will do it in Labadee.

Archived