QE2 Atlantic Crossings - 2 Jan and 21 Apr 2007

dougnewmanatsea

At the risk of causing you severe disappointment, the "ship" you saw on screen was in fact not a ship at all, but a set. (Ah, those rascally filmmakers!)

Just like the QM2 !:eek: :D :)

(Karie's tag lines are hard to avoid he says as he hides)

Post Captain (And you steer your posts marvelously I might add!)

Thank you for your enlightening post!

(And I'm not a madam, really- At least not like that scarlet hussy in the program <LOL>!)

Of course, I noticed the "at sea" photos. It was so obviously a small model, and not that lifelike looking! Are you saying they did not build or restore a Galleon, below decks and all, and film those scenes in the close stinking quarters, the bilge area, and the dining saloon?

Oh my! I am shocked and outraged!

Next you will tell me the wood paneling on the RMS Queen Mary 2 is not real Mahogany or Oak (Golden Lion)

Someone please pass the smelling salts. I am getting the vapors! <G>

Thanks, Cap'n! Most enlightening! I look forward to part II, but unfortunately, shall miss Part III as I will be on a plane back from Fort Lauderdale that night.

Karie,

Who doubts many voyages, even through the Doldrums to Australia, had seas so calm, (except when the Captain Heaved to Starboard and back to Port in order to make the ship heel over during the religious service)

pre-docs arrived today for the January crossing.

woohooo!

oh yeah, I just bought a DVD copy of 'QE2 The Last Great Liner"

Produced in 1999, but it's fantastic, you all should get a copy!

So tell us where to get it!

Karie,

who has the QM2 to RIO DVD (PBS)

pre-docs arrived today for the January crossing.

woohooo!

oh yeah, I just bought a DVD copy of 'QE2 The Last Great Liner"

Produced in 1999, but it's fantastic, you all should get a copy!

Kyle:

I'll bet you're getting excited. It's not much more than 60 days out now..."Poor me" (not !!), I have to wait until April !!

Thanks for the tip about that DVD, it sounds great !

Tom

On the subject of QE2's transatlantics has anyone else had the offer of 8 nights T/A and the return flight, in a Q3 for £749.00? That is such a good rate that I'm seriously wondering about telling work that I won't be there for a week!

If this ridiculously cheap rate is rate for a Q3 cabin then Cunard have gone mad!!!! There are not other words for it!!!!

Which crossing was this for - this November? If so then this is selling badly hence the cominbed CWC offers to cross on QE2 & then join QM2 but even so this rate is just too cheap! Wherever did you find such a rate?

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Have just seen this rate but I bet there are not many cabins left at this rate - this cruise has obviously sold very badly for such cheap rates!!! I am very surprised though as with the Autumn Colours cruise most Queens Grill sold very quickly on that cruise as they have done already on many 2007 cruises at premium rates.

I just feel that the £749 rate for QG Rest cheapens the brand image!!! Having said this if I had any holiday days I would pay the 200% rate for single occupancy of a Q3 cabin as I always book Grill glass.

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

If this ridiculously cheap rate is rate for a Q3 cabin then Cunard have gone mad!!!! There are not other words for it!!!!

Which crossing was this for - this November? If so then this is selling badly hence the cominbed CWC offers to cross on QE2 & then join QM2 but even so this rate is just too cheap! Wherever did you find such a rate?

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

17th November - I'll try and paste a copy of their email

[/url]

To book call Cunard reservations on 0845 071 0300 or contact your travel agent

OR

For an additional 5% saving

view availability and book online

8 nights from only £499 on QE2

QE2Exteriors09.jpg

For an alternative to the classic transatlantic crossing, join QE2 as she sails from Southampton to Fort Lauderdale on an 8 night voyage departing 17 November 2006. With fares from only £499 per person for an outside stateroom, why not experience the famous Cunard service for yourself? Or for the ultimate in luxury enjoy QE2's famous Queen's Grill from only £749. Book now as availability is very limited.

Stateroom Category

Fares From

Q3

£749

Q4

£749

P1

£599

P2

£599

C5

£499

detailsRED.jpg

8 Nights on QE2 & 9 nights in California from £889

Combine the Southampton to Fort Lauderdale crossing on 17 November 2006 with a tour of California. You arrive in Fort Lauderdale and fly to Los Angeles to collect your hire car which is included in your fare. Now you have 9 days to do as you please and discover the delights that California has to offer before flying home from San Francisco.

Stateroom Category

Fares From

Q3

£1,099

Q4

£1,099

P1

£999

P2

£999

C3

£889

To book call Cunard reservations on 0845 071 0300 or contact your travel agent

seamail.gif

All fares are per person in £ sterling based on double occupancy of stateroom, for UK residents and are for new bookings only. We have set aside a number of staterooms that are available with these savings. Once the limit has been reached, either the savings will reduce or the fare will revert to the full fare. We reserve the right to do this at any time. Fares are non-combinable with any other Cunard promotional fare or programme, are subject to availability and may be withdrawn at any time. Full terms and conditions can be found in the Cunard October 2006 - April 2008 Brochure. All flights are economy and return flights land the following day. Guests will be allocated the best available stateroom at the time of booking. California package includes voyage, transfer to airport, internal flight to Los Angeles, car hire and return flight from San Francisco (hotels not included).

TrackUsers.asp?MailID=668&Resp=2557683724176&Open=1&Dummy=test.gif

Wow - that is CHEAP.

The C5 is a good deal but the P and Q grades are utterly insane!

Even last year's January crossing cost much, much more than that in the Grill categories.

I'm sure we'd never have seen discounting of Grill Class this agressive on the Old Cunard - but obviously P&O/Princess is a different matter.

I don't have the time off and I can't book these fares being a US resident but if it weren't for those two things I'd book tomorrow! My only dilemma would be whether to choose Princess or Queens Grill - Princess Grill is my favorite restaurant aboard but still, I think I'd like to experience "the top of the line" once in my life!

I'm sure we'd never have seen discounting of Grill Class this agressive on the Old Cunard

They did discount as heavily as that once, about 15 years ago. That's the only way I managed to get into QG. The QE2 was doing a return TA, but was doing a short, 3 night, trip between legs. I suspect that most of the transatlantic passengers were spending a few days in the UK before returning so Ann Bright was able to offer those special fares.

They did discount as heavily as that once, about 15 years ago.

Wow - I'm very surprised. I never thought they'd have done it.

Still, obviously it was very rare. Well, even now it's very rare! Clearly we are seeing P&O/Princess yield management strategies at work which basically means: fill the ship at any cost.

I certainly hope fares this low do not become commonplace for QE2 as that would not bode well for the old girl's future!

But if anyone can actually take advantage of these fares... They are, if not the deal of the century, the deal of the decade at least!

Host Doug,

But at least on longer & popular cruises like my recent Autumn Colours 20 night US & Canada there was still even after discounts a 'great difference' between Grill grade cabin pricing & Mauretania / Caronia grade cabins which is how it should be!!!!

I think that Cunard are making a big mistake with such low pricing - after all would BA First Class fares be 'reduced' to such a great extent!!!! Grill class albeit Queens Grill is still very much first class but not as these fares & friends of mine who are booked on the whole 28 night cruise would not be very pleased to see such ridiculously cheap fares!!!!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

I'm with you, Doug. Incredible. At those prices for PG or QG, I'd almost consider moving to England to take advantage of it! Sadly, I have to cut my Key West trip short this year as I start a 2 week training class with Nortel Networks on the 6th. Hmm, 6 plus 14-... Nope. Woudn't work. Darn. I'd be willing to pay the 200% single supplement for a chance to do grill in QE2. Of course I would have to hire all sorts of people to tote my luggage, get me there, and help me round with things. The problems with being handicapped (or just decrepit, like me!<G>) <sigh> (I'm both, but no wheelchair yet!)

No matter, it is sold out now, and I am not a citizen of her magesy, uless we go WAY WAY back!

Karie,

whose ancestors broke with the crown (and intermarried with <gasp> the natives here!) many generations ago, I fear!

Still, obviously it was very rare.

Doug - You've got me looking back at past cruises and I'm thinking that it's not as rare as all that. In may we did the 5 night "Taste of Europe" cruise. We paid £779.00 per person for P1 cabins. The brochure fare (including the normal discount) is £1249.00.

At this late date it no longer makes sense -IMHO- to continue one joint thread for BOTH the January and April QE2 crossings. Therefore I have started two separate threads: "January 2007 QE2 Transatlantic Crossing" and "April 2007 QE2 Transatlantic Crossing", with an updated list for January.

Archived