Any recent visitors to Trinidad?

canadarocks

6 minutes ago, Wpooh1968 said:

What is wrong with Tobago?  There are private and ship tours there.

I thought those tours were hit or miss?? Hey if Tobago is where you want to go, go knock yourself out. Just make sure when you get back you post a review(an honest one just like we did) about your experience on Trinidad or Tobago. Thanks Todd

Don't forget me now.😉

• 5 months later...
On 12/11/2018 at 6:11 PM, seagypsea said:

Just off the 14 day CB which included Trinidad.  We booked the Angostura Distillery and whatever they called it tour.  🙂

Like everyone else we read all the travel warnings so we booked a ships excursion.  This was a new island for us and we wanted to see it.  We were supposed to go to the Royal Botanical Gardens and the Lady Lookout and then the distillery.  We actually did the tour in reverse because there were so many of us - they split us up.

I want to say that the tour guides, bus driver and islanders that we encountered were all gentle, generous and warm people.  The distillery tour was a bit long and a lot of walking and standing while being talked to but in the end very informative and I'm glad we went.  The description says you get a beverage but actually it's a rum tasting and much better indeed!  It was pouring rain when we got to the Botanical gardens so we cruised on by and missed it.  The town tour was interesting but we couldn't stop anywhere and take pictures because of the rain.  The stop at Lady Lookout was also rainy but I got off anyway to take pictures.  I didn't look at any of the vendor offerings.

Driving around you could see the poverty and the wealth and the filth and trash in the streets and waterways.  I would not do this island without a ships excursion and I feel bad for the lovely people we encountered but I have no desire to return.

As a point of information we were travelling with someone who blings out like Mr. T.  He had planned to go out for a drink and I told him to lose the bling and he didn't listen to me and he got stopped at the port exit by guards who told him to go back to the ship.

I would say pay attention to the warnings.  Be alert.  Do a ships excursion.  Be nice to the people.  Go see the island.

Friends on the cruise before us did the Monastery excursion and loved it.

This island is not far away from a certain place where people are fleeing from and they are constantly patrolling looking for small boats.  It is not really safe for us to explore on our own, so again do a ships excursion and support the local guides and drivers.

Diann

Thank you so much for this information.