Planting Seeds for LA Parking Waiver

jlp20

Used Twitter to contact Los Angeles City Councilmen Joe Buscaino (@JoeBuscaino) and Mitch O'Farrell (@MitchOFarrell). Florida cruise centers exempt parking fees to vehicles equipped with power chair and scooter lifts. Very small segment of the cruise community that can't just call a taxi, shuttle or Uber to get to cruise center. Drop them a note if you think Los Angeles should adopt this policy to attract more cruisers. 

• 3 weeks later...

Info only, the waiver is for vehicles that have been equipped with hoists and ramps.  The waiver is NOT FOR PLACARDS. The parking lot in Los Angeles is city owned and MAY be run by outside contractor. However they must operate under whatever rules the city sets.

Something does not make any sense. If this is a move to help the handicap, why would you not require the placard or HC plates? I think we all are aware that extensive walking can be a challenge for just about anyone, especially seniors or heavy people. However, those with placards/HC plates cannot walk 100 or 200 feet depending on where they received their handicap recognition. To grant a waiver to someone that can afford the expensive equipment defeats the purpose. Even though I've never drove my van to Florida, I believe the free parking there is only given to those with placard or HC plates.

1 hour ago, raindropsalways said:

Something does not make any sense. If this is a move to help the handicap, why would you not require the placard or HC plates? 

Vast majority of people using HC plates could take a cab or grab a ride with a friend to the port to avoid high parking fees. Scooter or power chair folks have limited choice.

So what's the big deal. Those of us using mobile devices can also take a taxi. It is the same cost regardless of who rides. I'm using Super Shuttle Friday morning because my son has to be at work. Neither the shuttle services or the taxi services can charge a premium rate for mobility devices if the person is disabled. Also, aren't the disabled seeking appropriate cabins already penalized enough by non-disabled by bookings HC cabins that are absolutely required by a disabled person. I fully understand the problems some people have with extensive walking, but that does not give them the right to impose burdens on the disabled. If they truly require the device to prevent the possibility of death or medical problems, get the damn placard. If they can afford the lift or ramp, they can afford the doctor's visit for to qualify for the placard.

I'm going to sell my van in the near future and have been advised by our DMV that I will have to remove the HC plates. The buyer of my van will have to purchase a $10 plate and will be given a sticker for the expiration date I have already paid covered.

I just assumed that any vehicle equipped with a lift would automatically come with handicapped plates.   but again, why should anyone with  a handicapped plate be exempt from paying the fee that able bodies are charged?    ADA is there to prevent us from being charged a fee when  others are not, not the other way around.  

• Like 1

In Minneapolis, we do not have to pay for street meters, however we have to abide time restraints same as the able bodied. To my knowledge, most of the cities offer free parking which is usually a designated area to assist the disabled or strictly a courtesy. Over the years, senior legislators understood the additional burdens we face, especially the cost. Thus, there is some logic to the free parking. Regardless, parking lots usually charge everyone. I do not have a problem paying for parking, however location is very important to me. If I can get within a reasonable distance of where I need to go, I prefer to walk. In my case, it is my lungs. However the majority of those requiring mobility devices, do not have that option.

As I stated earlier, I understand the reasoning able bodied people use mobility devices, which definitely helps them, but that is their choice. We do not have that option. Yes, I can walk, but if I cannot breath it becomes a very serious problem.

To my knowledge, just having a lift or built in ramp does not qualify for the free parking in Fort Lauderdale or other Florida ports. They must have a placard or HC plates.

• 2 months later...

This is from the Port Everglades Site for parking 

In Florida free parking is only given to those with 

disabled parking

parking fee waiver for the disabled  

In compliance with Florida Statute 316.1964, parking fees are waived at all Port Everglades lots and garages to disabled persons operating vehicles with ONE of the following qualifications:

• Display a Florida Toll Exemption Permit as explained in Florida Statute 316.1964 (see example below)
  • Vehicle is modified with specialized equipment such as ramps, lifts, or foot and hand controls for use by a disabled person (see example below)
  • Display the Disabled Veteran (DV) license plate issued from any state government. The DV license plate must be on the car parked in a Port Everglades lot or garage at the time of your cruise. Florida DV license plates are issued under Florida Statute 320.084 (See example below).

Parking agents will not waive parking fees for any other reason than those listed above.

To learn more about parking choices, fees and regulations at Port Everglades, click here.

For more information on disabled toll permits or to obtain a Florida Turnpike toll exemption sticker, visit the Florida Commission on the Transportation Disadvantaged website at dot.state.fl.us/ctd.

examples

Florida Toll Exemption Permit Specially Modified Vehicles Disabled Veteran License Plate
Image of a Florida Toll Exemption Permit decal Two images of vehicles equipped for people with disabilities, including a ramp and hand controls. Image with three examples of what Florida's Disabled Veterans License Tag looks like.