Imagination stabilizer problems???

mom2eli

I was reading in one of the reviews that the imagination has stabalizer problems and is a very rocky boat. I am wondering what everyones experience have been aboard the imagination? :confused:

We were on Ecstasy (Imagination's sister ship) in 2004. It rocked a little more than Mark Twain and Columbia. (Of course they "sail" on tracks on a man-made lake in Disneyland.)

The stabilizers were very effective. When we anchored in Avalon harbor, you could feel some gentle rocking when boats passed. Once we were under way and the stabilizers were deployed, we felt even less rolling. (And very little pitching which is not countered by stabilizers.)

I should mention that this was off the coast of California in summer.

I would imagine that if Imagination (or any of Carnival's ships) had a stabilizer problem they'd fixed it. Also, at over 80,000 tons, it's a pretty big "boat."

But, obviously, the biggest factor is the condition of the seas. While the line tries to sail around any rough seas, some times it's unavoidable. When that happens, any ship will be "very rocky" regardless of its reputation or lack there of.

Now I'm curious to find this review and read how the poster came to the conclusion that Imagination has an on-going stabilizer problem

My hub and I were on the Imagination in rough waters and it was fine. We felt a slight sway but nothing big. I'm not sure what all the talk about the stabilizers is but I'd be willing to bet that if the ship wasn't stabilized appropriately, it wouldn't be out there!

Just off the Liberty today and I'm betting the reports of the Imagination are related to a bit of what we just experienced...the stabilizers aren't always used. The number one reason for this is to conserve fuel. I NEVER get seasick...or rather, never did until this past week. There's a couple reasons that they didn't always use the stabilizers on our cruise (fuel conservation and speed needed to get to the distant islands). I finally approached a couple officers and offered to go up to the bridge and find the darn stabilizer button for them. It was only then that they realized that it wasn't a ship of fools and started running with the stabilizers - at least until the wee hours of the morning when they turned them off for about a 4-hour period. Of course, the last day, we had such treacherous seas that they had no choice but to keep them on continuously. The stabilizers (or lack thereof) was the talk of the ship for several days.

Just off the Liberty today and I'm betting the reports of the Imagination are related to a bit of what we just experienced...the stabilizers aren't always used. The number one reason for this is to conserve fuel. I NEVER get seasick...or rather, never did until this past week. There's a couple reasons that they didn't always use the stabilizers on our cruise (fuel conservation and speed needed to get to the distant islands). I finally approached a couple officers and offered to go up to the bridge and find the darn stabilizer button for them. It was only then that they realized that it wasn't a ship of fools and started running with the stabilizers - at least until the wee hours of the morning when they turned them off for about a 4-hour period. Of course, the last day, we had such treacherous seas that they had no choice but to keep them on continuously. The stabilizers (or lack thereof) was the talk of the ship for several days.

You have me wondering what types of technical reasons there are behind not using the stabilizers because of 'fuel conservation' and 'needing to get to distant ports'. Considering that Liberty (when doing Caribbean routes in the winter) does not visit any more 'distant' ports then any other ship (Triumph, Victory, Glory, EOS, NOS, Carib. Princess, Disney Magic/Wonder, etc.) I guess I don’t follow why you think they were off for that purpose. The stabilizers aren’t perfect... just because they didn’t seem like they were on doesn’t mean they weren’t; the direction the ship is traveling through the waves, how fast she is going and the size of the waves are all factors and all can limit or completely negate the stabilizing effect of the stabilizers.

Well, CruiseDawg, the first indication that the stabilizers weren't fully utilized was one of the officers saying that they were limiting the use of the stabilizers.

We understood the need to get the sick passenger to SJ as soon as possible. No one was complaining about that. There were just several people feeling the effects of the tossing and turning. It was after SJ where folks got a bit upset about the lack of stabilizers.

Ironically, the last day at sea was brutal...65 mph sustained winds, 14 ft seas...and by slowing the ship down and fully engaging the stabilizers, the ride was actually much smoother than it had been in good weather (minimal winds, 4-6 ft seas) during the earlier part of the trip.

btw - the only Carnival ship you mentioned doing this same 48 hour straight run to SJ was the Victory...it leaves from Miami rather than Ft. Lauderdale. We were in SJ and St Thomas with a Princess ship that left from Ft. Lauderdale just before us. No rocking and rolling reported by the folks when comparing cruises at Magen's Bay.

Just got off the Inspiration and that boat did not stop rocking from the time we left Tampa until we returned. It was awful!

The seas were as calm as can be with only 3-5 foot waves and it swayed all of the time. I could not believe it.

Sailed the Disney Wonder last year in 17 foot waves and the motion of the boat was nothing compared to the Inspiration.

One of the crew members on board though that maybe the ship was not as heavy as the Wonder and that is why the Inspiration swayed so much.

The stablizers help a boat sail more efficiently therefore they help conserve fuel.

It makes no sense that the officer was telling you they were limiting the use of the stablizers in that type of weather and in particular they hamper fuel consumption.

Stablizers on a ship are kind of like the bilge pump. It's always running, it is an intrical part of the boat, and you better not forget to turn it on.

NAIAD ROLL STABILIZATION

All vessels have their own roll period depending on hull shape and loading. Wave motions initiate this roll and, if in close synchronization with the hull’s natural roll period, roll may build to uncomfortable or even dangerous proportions.06-2.jpgThe principle behind NAIAD fin stabilization is to counteract the tendency of a vessel to roll with an equivalent and opposite righting moment applied in exactly the proper phase and proportion. These righting moment forces are typically generated from a pair of underwater fins, although other control surfaces are also available. Wave forces are thus prevented from aggravating the vessel’s natural tendency to roll.

A rolling boat does not operate at maximum efficiency and over a long course, steers a zigzag track. With the advanced NAIAD active roll stabilizer system, a vessel steers a nearly straight course, often actually improving fuel economy.

Archived