Transportation from Civitavecchia to Positano

Sergio11

Not really my province, but unless / until a destination expert like Eurocruiser replies here's my thoughts........

Not an option that you've mentioned, but if you're happy to drive then renting a car is by far the simplest.

But in Positano you would need accommodation with parking.

By train it would be port shuttle to port gate, then since you'll have luggage probably a short taxi hop to Civi station, train to Rome Termini station, train from Termini (but a long walk between platforms) to Naples centrale, Circumvesuviana train from there to Sorrento, taxi 16km approx 45 minutes to Positano

(bus from Sorrento would be cheap but the service is hourly & over-subscribed so no fun with luggage, plus a possibility that until late in the day a long line for the bus might mean an extra hour's wait, plus the bus stop for Positano is on the coast road high above the village so a long walk down).

Trains will cost about €30, I have no idea what the Positano taxi would cost.

Total 340 km 4 hrs by road, or somewhere toward 7 hrs total using the trains.

Ferry isn't a sensible option.

You could ask an organisation like Rome in Limo t quote for a private transfer, but best to be sitting down when you read the cost.:classic_ohmy: 

I don't suppose your last port-of-call is Naples or Salerno or thereabouts?

Disembarking there would make life a very great deal easier.

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull

Other than driving, there's not going to be a solution without some degree of hassle.  Arranging for a driver will be in the range of 400-500 euro. 

If that option (or driving) don't appeal, I'd suggest the following to minimize hassle:

**** Getting to the train station in Civitavecchia unfortunately doesn't have an easy button. You will have to take a port shuttle to the port entrance, and then a local bus (available right at the entrance drop off area) to the train station. It is nearly impossible to find a taxi willing to take you the short distance.

**** Buy train tickets in advance for the 11:16 Frecciabianca from Civitavecchia to Rome. There is only one Frecci train departing in the morning (by the current schedule) that would work for you, and here's why it's important to be on it:  First, you have guaranteed seats and easier luggage storage, and 2) you don't have to make the LONG trek with your luggage from the tracks where the regional trains (eg., all the others) arrive from Civitavecchia at Rome Termini station. I'd rate that second reason very highly!

**** You will arrive at Termini at 12:03 pm. From here, I'd also order advance tickets for the Frecciarosa (high speed) train to Naples (station name: Napoli Centrale); the most convenient one for you departs at 12:53, giving you plenty of time. It arrives at Naples at 2:03 pm.

**** At Napoli Centrale, there are plenty of drivers willing to transport you to points south, e.g., Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast. I highly suggest using one of these (or arranging something in advance) because from this point the hassle factor gets really painful along the lines of a local commuter train (no reserved seating) and then a local bus that is also often standing room only and very crowded.

When I first looked at this, I wondered whether it might be easier to take the train from Rome to Salerno rather than from Rome to Naples, but it looks like there is not a high speed train option, so you would arrive Salerno much later. So -- although Salerno a bit closer to Positano, I'm not sure it would save you any time or hassle to arrive there.

One other tip is to pack as light as you can -- that will really help minimize hassle, since you may have to go up and down a flight of stairs at the Civitavecchia station, and wheel or carry your bags considerable distances.

Since you asked for easiest, I’m going to recommend a private car with driver. We used Stefano’s Rome Cabs for all of our transportation needs while in Italy and they were absolutely fantastic. On time, reliable, courteous, always smiling, and very eager to help with all of our luggage. They offer the option of pre-paying via PayPal which makes things even easier. It was wonderful to have our driver meet us as we exited the cruise terminal in Civitavecchia and only walk a few feet to our car, and be on our way a few minutes later, rather than jumping through hoops of fire in order to save money. 

With that said, “fast and easy” will come with a price. We substantially paid more to have private transportation the whole time we were in Italy, but it was completely worth it. Made our vacation hassle free and truly memorable. 

10 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Since you asked for easiest, I’m going to recommend a private car with driver. We used Stefano’s Rome Cabs for all of our transportation needs while in Italy and they were absolutely fantastic. On time, reliable, courteous, always smiling, and very eager to help with all of our luggage. They offer the option of pre-paying via PayPal which makes things even easier. It was wonderful to have our driver meet us as we exited the cruise terminal in Civitavecchia and only walk a few feet to our car, and be on our way a few minutes later, rather than jumping through hoops of fire in order to save money. 

With that said, “fast and easy” will come with a price. We substantially paid more to have private transportation the whole time we were in Italy, but it was completely worth it. Made our vacation hassle free and truly memorable. 

I agree with Tapi.  Last trip we took the train and 3 people were robbed on our journey.  As for driving, I would never do it, that drive is beautiful but scary. On our return we rented a driver!  Best thing we did!

7 hours ago, Karae said:

I agree with Tapi.  Last trip we took the train and 3 people were robbed on our journey.  As for driving, I would never do it, that drive is beautiful but scary. On our return we rented a driver!  Best thing we did!

Taking some commonly listed precautions should prevent any likelihood of robbery or theft on the trains.  (And I'm curious, by the way whether it really was robbery, as in possessions taken by force or threat of violence, or was it simply theft?)

I've use the trains in Italy on many different trips and many different routes and have yet to have any belongings taken, neither bags nor valuables on me.

Cruisemom42, I should have clarified theft!  I, too, have traveled extensively via train through Europe and I, too, have luckily never had anything taken.  However, the train from Naples to the Amalfi coast is a slow, packed intercity train that makes frequent stops.  We encountered 3 different people who appeared to be diligent and aware who lost things to theft.  I swore when we got off I would not return to Naples on that train.  We hired a driver to take us back to Naples train station where we proceeded via train to a Rome.

1 minute ago, Karae said:

Cruisemom42, I should have clarified theft!  I, too, have traveled extensively via train through Europe and I, too, have luckily never had anything taken.  However, the train from Naples to the Amalfi coast is a slow, packed intercity train that makes frequent stops.  We encountered 3 different people who appeared to be diligent and aware who lost things to theft.  I swore when we got off I would not return to Naples on that train.  We hired a driver to take us back to Naples train station where we proceeded via train to a Rome.

I think you're talking about the Circumvesuviana line train?  A few years ago I stayed in Sorrento for a week and used that train extensively to visit many Roman sites in the area. It's known to be haunted by pickpockets but maybe we were too offseason -- didn't have any problems nor see any sketchy behavior. 

I have a sort of perverse liking for that train. It's old, crowded, and not air-conditioned. But I just enjoy it because so many locals use it -- you really get a 'slice of life' experience.  (I was on it again just last year when I was on a cruise that was docked in Sorrento -- still the same.)

All that said, I definitely wouldn't recommend it for those carting luggage and who will also have many intermediate steps. 

Hi Sergio,

The one option that is mentioned is using a private tour operator.  We have used Domenico from Private tour in Italy in the past as have many family and friends.

Friends of ours just used him last month to pick them up in Florence to take them to Positano and then back to Civitavecchia. 

His tour Company provides a great service and a reasonable price.

https://www.privatetourinitaly.com

Regards,

Frank

Sorry, just saw this.

The simplest option using public transit would be the train to Salerno, followed by the ferry to Positano.  Be sure if you do this, however, that your hotel will have someone meet you at the dock and help with luggage.  If you're not in a hotel right along the beach it can be a long, hot slog up the hill with bags.

If your hotel is further up the hillside it might be easier to get off the ferry in Amalfi and take a taxi for the last eleven miles.

Edited by euro cruiser

As an example, there is a regionale veloce at 8:42 from Civitavecchia.  This is one of the regionale trains that has a first class option, it's not really an improvement EXCEPT that is might be less crowded and offer you a better chance of getting a seat.    It makes far fewer stops (only six between Civitavecchia and Termini, vs. nine for the regular regionale) and gets there about fifteen minutes faster.

This train arrives to Roma Termini at 9:48 AM.

The next direct Frecce to Salerno departs Termini at 10:10 AM but I don't think you can make this because it's a four block walk (about a third of a mile) from the Lazio track head to the main track head and because the regionale trains can't be counted on to arrive on time.

The next direct direct Frecce after that isn't until 13:53.  

So, long story short, I think your best options are an earlier Frecce to Naples followed by a car service to Positano, or a later direct Frecce to Salerno followed by the ferry (but only, again, if it isn't a long uphill slog to your hotel.

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps one of the reasons why  Positano manages to keep its charm is the difficulty in getting to the place :).  When we stay on the Amalfi Coast (usually about 4 miles from Positano in Praiano) we simply rent a car and drive ourselves.  Yes, I know that driving in Italy puts the fear of the Gods into mere mortals but its not as bad as you might think.  But an even bigger problem in Positano is parking (which is why you will often see a 1/2 mile of cars parked along the Amalfi Drive).   Probably the best option in terms of keeping cost under control is to take the Circumvesuviana Train to Sorrento and get a taxi to Positano.  Hiring a car/driver from Naples is certainly the easiest (and classiest) option, but it will be very expensive.  The train to Salerno and then a ferry back to Positano is an option but can involve waiting not to mention some inconvenience.

Hank