Halibut Fishing Homer or Seward???

tootsie 2

We are flying into Anchorage and spending an extra few days.

We want to halibut fish for a full day and I want to see the Sealife

Center in Seward also. A recent post I made said the fishing is good in

Homer. That sounds good! What would be the quickest way to get from

Homer to Seward though? Would we be better off just getting a charter out of Seward? Thanks.

Homer is a few hours drive from Seward, and you would have to have a car. Halibut fishing is good out of Seward, and you might want to take a charter from there. Otherwise you can drive to Kenai or Nikiski - the charters from their go basically to the same places as those from Homer.

Seward has great halibut fishing and a derby every July.Homer is 180 miles/ 4 hours driving on a good day away from Seward.Flying would be the quickest. No regular flights but I do know a private charter pilot that would be willing on a nice day. :)

We are flying into Anchorage and spending an extra few days.

We want to halibut fish for a full day and I want to see the Sealife

Center in Seward also. A recent post I made said the fishing is good in

Homer. That sounds good! What would be the quickest way to get from

Homer to Seward though? Would we be better off just getting a charter out of Seward? Thanks.

Tootsie:

neither I nor my family has taken Halibut Charters out of Seward but they HAVE taken them out of Homer and have never been skunked there. I do know that there are charters out of Seward. I remember staying at the Army Rest Camp there and seeing a charter return with a literal ton of Halibut. At least two of them were greater than 150 pounds. My Mother has pictures of some of the ones her boat took in several years ago. It is all a matter of preference in where you want to go. When my wife and I go up in August we will be staying at my Mom's condo in Whittier and doing a Halibut charter out of there. We even do Shrimping there. The channel is over 900 feet in places and makes for great Shrimping. We always come up with various sizes in the shrimp from <sorry> shrimp to Jumbo Shrimp. My Mom is a retired Nurse and considers it "her job" to "put them out of their misery" when bringing them up....;)

Archived