Medication requirements....

Sunflower & The Scientist

I've spent a considerable amount of time putting our daily medications into our weekly pill containers so we'd have it easy on our cruise. Now that all the work is done, it has dawned on us that we may have issues with them not being in original containers.  We'd really like not to have to put them all back and carry them that way.  Wondering if it would be enough just to have the pill bottles with us to show what pills they are. 

Anyone else out there that has dealt with this?  We are going to New Zealand and Australia...if that matters. 

I organize all my pills in weekly cases for every cruise and have never been asked about them.  That said, none are narcotics.  

I do have the numbers of all physicians and med lists with dosages and prescribing physicians ready in case of medical emergencies ... been there and done that so l try to be prepared.

I have travelled on Viking transatlantic, as well as travelled to many countries with my weekly pill container.

I have not had any issues not having the original bottle. Never had any customs/immigration questions. I also carry a small ziplock that has individual mini bags of OTC meds and nobody has questioned that either.

What countries are you visiting--that may make a difference.

Also, if you are not taking the original pill bottle, make sure you snap a photo of the bottle so you have that in the event you lose your meds. That way you have your dosage, MD name, scrip #, etc. Also good in the event of emergency--we have photos on our phones of our meds for worst case scenario of being in hospital if out of the country.

And obviously, keep your meds with you in your carry on baggage, as opposed to checked bags.

I've been doing more research online and evidently NZ is pretty intense about medications.  The gov. sites say that they have to be in their original containers, so I guess we'll be having to take them in their original containers and put them in weekly when onboard.  It's really going to stink to have to separate them all back out and put them back:classic_unsure:.  Oh well...I thought I was being so organized to get it done.  Less than a week out so I best get busy sorting....

Perhaps time has changed policy, but we flew into Auckland from LA in 2010 to join a cruise.  I had my meds in plastic zip bags and no questions asked.  There were several different meds but none were narcotics.   The earlier suggestion of taking a picture of the original container is good.  I think I will do that in the future with the actual med beside the container so the med can be identified if asked.

We have been all over the world (seven continents; third world countries; etc), including New Zealand.  Have always organized our meds in weekly containers before leaving home, plus have loose otc meds.  We have never been questioned or stopped anywhere about them.  We also carry photos of the prescriptions and pills on our phone.