Inside solo TA

rehab2012

On NCL you could look for TA sailings of any of the large ships that have studio cabins, which I believe is all of them except the Joy. A studio usually costs more than half the fare of a double inside cabin, but not twice as much.

Not for a TA, but I have also booked on RCI when there was a "buy one, get half off" for the second passenger sale. The same offer applies to booking a double cabin for one person - that is, to occupy a double cabin alone you'd pay 150% of the quoted fare for each of two people in a similar cabin. Some RCI ships also have single inside cabins - a very few on the Radiance-class ships - somewhat more on certain larger and newer ships, and there are ships on some lines with single outside and/or balcony cabins, again not very many.

I don't think that Cunard is the answer to this question, unless you are more concerned about the principle of the matter than about the out-of-pocket costs. Many Cunard sailings charge no single supplement, but the Cunard base fare is usually so high that you would come out ahead with just paying the single supplement on another ship line (although without the luxury).

For a general discussion of this question, not specific to NCL, the solo cruise forum is the best place.

5 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I don't think that Cunard is the answer to this question, unless you are more concerned about the principle of the matter than about the out-of-pocket costs. Many Cunard sailings charge no single supplement, but the Cunard base fare is usually so high that you would come out ahead with just paying the single supplement on another ship line (although without the luxury).

The price I saw for Cunard was  a very good solo price, though I don't  remember the price I was seriously considering it and I am used to going NCL solo with no supplement.

Another subtle difference is that Cunard ships are considered Ocean liners ( perfect for a T/A) and most of the other majors are Cruise ships, slight difference in construction and operation, would be a nice change.

1 hour ago, FLAHAM said:

I sail on NCL TAs and longer (2 week) Caribbean cruises.  Roughly half the time, a studio cabin is more expensive than a sailaway inside cabin occupied solo.  

I don't find the studios a  good deal,  compared to last minute.

7 hours ago, rehab2012 said:

Wondering on a strategy on TA booking. Currently without a single supplement TA is expensive how likely is it that a deal will come up without double occupancy cost for an inside.  Is it better to play the waiting game or ok now 

I late book and have been very successful with no supplement  NCL  TA's.  BUT-   these price drops are happening,  less than a week prior to sailing.    I  don't find studios any bargain  for my preferences,   but,  for many-  it can be the best option.   IF you only have one ship you want,   require advance planning,  transfers,  lodging,  flights  etc,   and you are NOT flexible and  accepting of not going,   then look at the studios.    Booking ahead  will likely be less than a double occupancy rate.   

41 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

I don't find the studios a  good deal,  compared to last minute.

Which is fine, if you can travel at the last minute (which your next post said). Although I can drive to several of the east coast departure ports, my work schedule hasn't yet allowed a last-minute deal to work. But I keep looking....

Edited by kochleffel

10 hours ago, sandyh85 said:

Want a roomie? I'd love to do the TA on the Encore when it comes over but it is always priced out of my range for a solo.

My SO is doing his first cruise next week - I'm hoping he will love it, but I feel like a TA will not be his bag.

If you are flexible,  and can do a last minute.  This cruise has potential for solo price drops.   Would likely be less than a week prior to sailing.  :)   

• Haha 1