Cruising to Caribbean in the summer

Shamrock73

...and on where you are sailing to. The Caribbean Sea proper is relatively temperate year-round, though the sun will certainly be beating down stronger mid-summer. If you are only going as far as the Atlantic ports (Bahamas, Grand Turk, most cruise lines' private islands) the weather is pretty much the same as in Florida: 95%+ humidity and when it rains (everyday) you will feel like you are bathing in a big vat of soup. And the Gulf of Mexico (where most cruises misnamed as 'Western Caribbean' call) is absolutely brutal mid-summer; only the hardiest of souls will tolerate any outdoor activity beyond parking under a beach umbrella with drink runners at your beck and call. I sailed a Grand Cayman/Ocho Rios/Cozumel cruise in June and even though I have lived my whole life in the Florida heat there is no way I could have managed visiting any ruins/waterfalls/rainforests et al

My family politely declined anything in the Caribbean in summer due to the heat, which my daughter and husband both find miserable. We've been fine in March but doing New England/Canada out of New Jersey instead next August for this very reason.  My very first cruise in the mid 1980's I did the Bahamas in June and can still remember that it was quite hot and yes, Mexico gets very hot as well.

Will also consider Alaska for a future summer cruise, though it's typically more expensive and complicated logistics for us than the east coast.

We won't do any part of the Caribbean, Florida, etc. in the summer as the heat, humidity, bugs, rain and crowds are not something we choose to tolerate.

I was born and raised on Florida's Gulf Coast and live elsewhere because Florida's long summers are miserable for me. Florida winters are wonderful so we might become snowbirds someday.